Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
22,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have you heard about the new smith .50 here are the ballistics from a employee of smith that has shot this gun
500 S+W MAGNUM FOR THE NEW 500 S+W CALIBER X-FRAME 500 MAGNUM MASTERPIECE:
CASE LENGTH IS 1.625"
275GR BARNES @ 1662FPS
400GR HAWK @ 1676FPS
440GR HARDCAST @ 1625FPS...
SO FAR...

all I can say is wow! that thing will be a handfull also single action related Freedom arms is now chambering the .44 special in a 97 but as of this time just with adjustable sights. I they ever make a fixed sighted version I may have to break down and finally buy a FA gun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lloyd Smale said:
have you heard about the new smith .50 here are the ballistics from a employee of smith that has shot this gun
500 S+W MAGNUM FOR THE NEW 500 S+W CALIBER X-FRAME 500 MAGNUM MASTERPIECE:
CASE LENGTH IS 1.625"
275GR BARNES @ 1662FPS
400GR HAWK @ 1676FPS
440GR HARDCAST @ 1625FPS...
SO FAR...

all I can say is wow! that thing will be a handfull also single action related Freedom arms is now chambering the .44 special in a 97 but as of this time just with adjustable sights. I they ever make a fixed sighted version I may have to break down and finally buy a FA gun.
I'll be very glad to see the result. These velocities are similar to John's .500 Long, considered by owners as a UNSHOOTABLE gun due to HEAVY recoil.

I'm wondering if the S&W's monster gun is ported or not, what kind of grip will be installed and the most important what kind of grip frame. I don't want such as gun can't roll in my hands :oops:

S&W is known to be less reliable than Ruger with high pressure cartridges.

I'd like to have the same look as my Taurus RB :wink:

·
Administrator
26,129 Posts
Ho Hum. Yawn.

S&W MUST DIE!

S&W has still done absolutely NOTHING[/color] to get out of the agreement. Even with a gun friendly President in the White House they have made no attempt to get out of the agreement signed with Klinton and HUD. It is still sitting there like a powder keg with a lit fuse just waiting for the next Democrap to go into the White House to bring it back to life.

Unless and until such time as they get off dead center and ask Bush to relieve them of this agreement anyone who loves the US Constitution and the Second Amendment should boycott S&W.

S&W MUST DIE! :evil:

GB

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is a quote I got of Sixgunner

"THE GUN WEIGHS 70 OUNCES AND HAS A REMOVABLE BRAKE. ITS' RECOIL IS NOT AS SNAPPY AS A 454CASULL BUT IT DOES PUSH. THE NUMBERS ARE FROM AN 8 3/8" BBL. IT LOOKS JUST LIKE A REALLY BIG L-FRAME WITH A LONGER CYLINDER.
ITSA PEACH!!"

:cry: I need another job just for my hobby!! So many toys out there and so little time and money

I guess they had to be the biggest on the block again. If it works we should see others chamber it. Like Taurus, FA,and MR did with the 480 Ruger.

Hcliff

·
22,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not a big smith fan either the only ones i have are a model 64 and a model 15 and Im not much interested in a giant model 29 with some big removable muzzle brake anyway so Ill side with you on this one. But unlike you ill stick to my rugers :-D
Graybeard said:
Ho Hum. Yawn.

S&W MUST DIE!

S&W has still done absolutely NOTHING[/color] to get out of the agreement. Even with a gun friendly President in the White House they have made no attempt to get out of the agreement signed with Klinton and HUD. It is still sitting there like a powder keg with a lit fuse just waiting for the next Democrap to go into the White House to bring it back to life.

Unless and until such time as they get off dead center and ask Bush to relieve them of this agreement anyone who loves the US Constitution and the Second Amendment should boycott S&W.

S&W MUST DIE! :evil:

GB

·
Registered
632 Posts
:-D :-D ...Sounds like a bigger boy onna block again. Might have to look into this one a little more. 70 oz is a lot to be carrying around,so add to 75 loaded probably,ats over 4 1/2 lbs of handgun. Gotta see the gun first I guess to get interested. You guys are gunna have me broke by summer andflat otta cash. king

·
Registered
223 Posts
Smith and Wessons

Sorry boys. I hate the lawsuit, pending agreement, and succumbing to the Dcraps--But--I love my Smiths. I have an early MINTY 1971 M29 6 1/2" that shoots as nice as it was when new, and is so glass smoothe. :lol: my new 3 1/2" ported M29 stainless .44 Trail Boss (limited to 200 units for RSR) is aboslutely AWESOME and a great 'pack' gun. I also shoot one of the earliest Mickylucky's 27's 357maggie that was ever build. Even before the custom shop advertised. with a Gilmore dot and moon clips--there is no other. :grin: No one else make a competetive wheel-gun. I thinkTaurus is trying. I have a Blackhawk 45LC and a new Ruger SBH Hunter that I shoot alot. :grin: I cannot wait for another new gun from Smith. I think their quality right now is unsurpassed (they had to something to bring the market back). I cannot boycott them, I grew up with them and let em go! I carry, and compete with them, and I hunt with my Ruger's and my TC's. I'd die without any of them! No to get some S&W Mountain guns. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, they are right. What they basically have as someone mentioned is a 500 Linebaugh Long (Maximum) chambered in a large double action 5 shot. With the brake installed, I think it will be manageable but heavy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Zeus said:
Yes, they are right. What they basically have as someone mentioned is a 500 Linebaugh Long (Maximum) chambered in a large double action 5 shot. With the brake installed, I think it will be manageable but heavy.
Agree with you, but important things are:
what kind of girp frame and what kind of grip?

I already ask it, after seeing the gun I'll have more details. But the .500 Long has a Bisley grip frame with wood or similar grip, that cause a full roll up in the hands of this gun but this gun hasn't any muzzle break.

The new S&W won't roll in the hands so it will be the same as a Taurus RB as recoil's feeling. May be the S&W will have a 1" integral muzzle break to make this gun "manageable". :? Wait and see the result

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Federal Agreement

G.B. , I understand your feelings about this deal. I don't know that I disagree with you. But S&W wasn't the only gun manufactures to make deals and go along with the Klinton train of thought. Seems like most if not all were trying anything they could to stay in the game and get government contracts. Some of these guys are highly touted on your forums! Maybe what we should of done, was to all vote and keep the antigunners out of office in the first place.
Do you know any gun people that don't vote? Ask to see their voter registration not just take their word for it. It may shock you. How did your state vote in the elections for '92 and '96? We still vote by secret ballot in this country, and there is absolutely no excuse for not voting in every election, national or local community! Stop them before they get started! VOTE!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Awcrap.
From what I've seen, most of the people who buy these big calibers can't hit a damned thing with them.
The .50 S&W is strictly a marketing ploy, appealing to the little boy in some shooters who just HAVE to have the biggest around.
Phooey!
Whenever I run into one of these jokers with a .454, .480 or whatever, they proudly show me the gun, cartridge and bore and grin like drunken monkeys.
Then out roll the old, tired (and spurious) stories of downing grizzly bears, shooting through engine blocks, bagging deer at 400 yards and blah blah blah.
I'm not impressed. You want to impress me? Hit the bullseye with it! Few of them can.
My S&W .44 Magnum (purchased in 1977) is all I need. Now, the .44 Magnum is passe' and some even consider it weak!
Buy it if you wish. Reload it if you wish. But before you go on and on ad nauseum about velocities, bullet weight and diameter --- be able to hit your target. :roll:

·
Registered
461 Posts
S&W Sell-Out

I'm with GB. I ain't buyin' another Smith till they drive a stake in the heart of that damn agreement. If you fellers really put our gun rights above your selfish desires you would stick with us.

And I ain't buying another damn Ruger for the same reason.

When they come for our guns, I hope they go after the Smith and Ruger owners FIRST!

Call your next case.

Loader 3009

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gatofeo said:
The .50 S&W is strictly a marketing ploy, appealing to the little boy in some shooters who just HAVE to have the biggest around.

My S&W .44 Magnum (purchased in 1977) is all I need. Now, the .44 Magnum is passe' and some even consider it weak!
Buy it if you wish. Reload it if you wish. But before you go on and on ad nauseum about velocities, bullet weight and diameter --- be able to hit your target. :roll:
You point out a very good point as marketing ploy. I'm fully agree with you. The main S&W's goal is to propose the most powerful factory cartridge for handguns. Like in 1932 with the .357 mag and mid 50's with the .44 mag. I'm not uppset by that, I think it is good. For those who like Big bore hanguns (monster guns :wink: ) who can afford to get a .500 long made by john linabaugh for a cost aver $3500? The selling price of this S&W will be lower (I hope), so more people can afford this if they want.

4-5 Years agos Taurus with its RB has become the .454 Casull affordable in a "cheap" handguns other thna the FA. Nobody really needs of this cartridge a .44 mag or a .45 Colt are enough efficient.

I hope I'm not the only want who think that this new gun won't be the perfect gun. I'll never compare this gun to John Linebaugh's hand made .500 Long. For me on is apple and the other is orange. Like my taurus RB and my FA both in .454 Casull.

Just my 0.02 cts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup, Just what I want a 4-1/2 lb revolver that when loaded will weigh nearly five pounds. Add that to a holster and if the belt has cartridge loops add roughly 1-1/2 oz. per cartridge, so say 20 cartridges @ 1.5 oz +
the 5 in the gun so we have and trim handy 6.7 lb package not factoring in the holster and belt.

What guns like this are for is you take them out at the range and everybody ooh's and aah's and marvels. I cut back from a model 83 FA to a model 97 FA for the weight savings on my belt, best thing I ever did.
I guide elk hunters six weeks a year, the gun belt goes on when I get dressed and comes off when I get into my sleeping bag. I am on horseback and on foot climbing, cutting wood, carrying water and doing whatever needs doing. The purpose of my revolver is to kill a wounded elk we are tracking, any 44 or 45 is more than plenty. Those big guns are not practical in the real world but they will sell and that's why S&W is building one. At gun shows I watch the people who pick up and fondle the big DA revolvers Ruger and Taurus have out in 454 and 480 and wonder if the buyers are considering how practical will this gun be.

Did you ever notice any more how few holsters are bought? Most sixguns I see ride around in a zippered case from the range table to the gun safe.
Most of the the owners of the big boomers that do hunt work up maximum loads with the latest ultra performance bullets to shoot 100lb deer with a gun and load that is suitable for cape buffalo.

I am not against the big calibers, I have pretty much every one of them and enjoy shooting them and maybe even fantasizing about a charging rhino :wink: but truth is they are a novelty in the lower 48. If the gun and holster is not compact enough that you forgot you have it with you you likely will have left it back in camp when you need it.

Mike C

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mike C said:
the gun belt goes on when I get dressed and comes off when I get into my sleeping bag. Mike C
Mike, You take off your gun belt before getten in the sleeping bag? To each his own I guess. :-D I'm just funnin with ya.

The big DA S&W 500 Mag certainly isn't a "packin pistol". That's for sure.
But it would be fun to have and play at the range with, or to even to hunt from a stand with. It wouldn't be real usefull but it'd sure be fun!

Hud

1 - 20 of 29 Posts