Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows who carries a stock for a Rem 788 6mm? Boyds has one in clearance, but does not have any finished stocks for this caliber.

pepaw

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
The 788's been out of production for a long time. I doubt anyone makes a drop in pre-fit stock for it. Why not just buy a Boyds and finish it yourself? Its not all that difficult and some even say, fun!

·
Registered
280 Posts
The last one I had with a bad stock, I got an original, new from the factory, stock from Gun Parts Corp. (Numrich). They had them in stock for about $55, and they were the original birch stocks, not a new made copy.

Good luck,
dave

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only stock Boyds has is a 13 1/8 LOP that is not fitted. I suppose I could just add a nice pad or spacers to lengthen it.
But I don't have the time, skills or tools (right now) to fit it. Wish I did.

Ramline looks good, but I like wood. I did not see anything in Brownells. I was going to give the new stock as a present.

pepaw

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
PEPAW - have you checked with any of the stockmaking sponsors on this site. I believe there are two and I would hope they would have something you can use.

I once owned a 788 in 308 - the rifle came to me in pieces and I put it back together but that stock was about the ugliest I had ever seen. I spent a bunch of time reworking that stock until I had it the way I wanted. If you don't have the capability to rework a stock yourself, but if you can find an original or aftermarket with the original contours, a good gunsmith should be able to re-configure that stock into a sweet mountain rifle style stock that you might like. HTH. Mikey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts