Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading my 700 sps with a new stock. It has the synthetic stock now, and I was thinking of a choate uss stock. Has anyone tried these for the 700 SA? I even thought of turning it into a tube gun, but can't justify the cost. I know there are tons of stocks out there, but i like a pistol grip on my rifles (I'm an AR nut).
This is a dedicated target rifle, and am looking for a cheap route.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you want to do it right, save up some extra money and step up from the Choate, especially the USS. I've been behind a few Choates and really can't find anything to write home about, other than at 6lbs it makes a great paper weight.

I had a few various H-S stocks on my Remmys, but turned into a McMillan ****. It really is worth the money to me, and I've got a wife and two kids to feed on my salary.

My new build is getting a Manners T4, they are a bit cheaper than McMillan, and the ones that I've felt were pretty ergonomically correct for my hands.

Buy once, cry once boss...I'm a believer of that one now.

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
I've never seen a Choate stock I'd own if given to me for free. :eek:

I plan to add a Hogue over moulded stock with the full aluminum bedding block to my SPS Varmint .22-250 soon. If I like it as well as I think I'll likely add one to the SPS Varmint .223 as well.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have a Hogue overmolded on a Win. stainless new, OLD model in 300 wsm. I like it alot however I find it a little heavier than I would want to carry all day, the TI rem. 700 has spoiled me. Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice against the choate. I've never actually seen one. I've read a couple of things online, but you know how that goes. ;D
A heavy stock wouldn't be a problem, is shoot mostly off the bench and prone. I checked out the manners and like what i'm seeing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts