Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Tikka T3 varmint in 223. I mounted a Leupold 8-18 VXII scope on it with Leupold base and rings. I went to the range to sight it in using Winchester white box 55grn FMJ. I usually like to reload precision ammo but I wanted to get the scope close while I am waiting for my neck sizer die and some Hornady V-Max 60grn bullets. The groups I have been getting are about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" consitantly. Not one group under 1 inch. Is this ammo just this bad or am i having gun problems? When I buy a varmint gun, I expect 1/2 inch groups but even with this cheap ammo I think it should print under 1 inch.

It was definately the ammo. I loaded up some 60grn V-max bullets with some Varget and put 4 out of 5 shots into the same hole!!! I shot two sub .5 inch groups with ease. I think this gun is the most accurate gun I have ever owned. ;D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Re: New Tikka T3 Varmint 223 Groups not so great

I think you'll find that the ammo is at fault, not the rifle. I have shot Winchester, Remington, Black hills and handloads through mine, very succesfully. It did not like the FMJ's I tried. If you want to find how it'll shoot while waiting for your dies to arrive, try some decent ammo, Black Hills or Hornady Tap. I only shoot handloaded through mine now, but sub half inch is really easy to acheive. I settled on 55gr Sierra's in mine and they really shoot lights out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: New Tikka T3 Varmint 223 Groups not so great

I have had one of these for about three years now. Had a similar problem when it was new. After 50 or so rounds the groups tightened up and will now shoot 1/2 in. groups at 200 yrds. Mine does not like the heavier bullets. I settled on the Winchester white box 45 gr. hp's. Don't give up on it, it's a great gun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts