Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 30/30 barrel just recieved off a member here, good guy and deal. I tried it on a SB-2 44 mag and 45/70 rifle recievers, wont latch on either one. May just need to cut the bolt shelf down some on the barrel. Will somone connect me to the Faq to show me what to do? All help appreciated. Thanks, Sam,.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Re: New to me barrel wont fit either frame.

Don't even think about filing, grinding, sanding, cutting, etc.... until you read and UNDERSTAND the barrel fitting section in the FAQ's. It only takes a minute or two to turn a great shooting Handi barrel into a piece of scrap metal. ;)
It might be best to take it to a gunsmith or send it to Remington to be fitted properly.
On another note... I think you're talking about the latch shelf as there is no such thing as a bolt shelf on a Handi.

Spanky

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts

Cutting on the latch shelf should be a very last resort! Just don't do it. Larry

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts

koger said:
I have a new to me 30/30 barrel just recieved off a member here, good guy and deal. I tried it on a SB-2 44 mag and 45/70 rifle recievers, wont latch on either one. May just need to cut the bolt shelf down some on the barrel. Will somone connect me to the Faq to show me what to do? All help appreciated. Thanks, Sam,.
Try this...
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,193862.msg1098981271.html#msg1098981271
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,82412.msg504758.html#msg504758
http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/gapfp.html
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,110568.msg1098335003.html#msg1098335003

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts

I have to agree with Spanky and say that if you are not the least bit mechanically inclined, it would be best to have someone do it for you, and the best and surest way of not ending up with an expensive garden stake is to contact H&R customer service and arrange to send it to them.

The 30-30 is one of the most accurate barrels in the Handi line, and it would be a shame to mess one up, especially when you won't have any trouble getting your money back advertising it on the classifieds, if you don't want anymore expense having it fitted the right way.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts

For $25 plus shipping each way (which is dirt cheap for gunsmithing work), you can send the barrel and your frame to H&R, and they will do the factory fit for you.

And, they do it fast. NO SHIMS, no mistakes. Done right!

There's no reason to not send it in.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Guys got it done! I am a Gunsmith, with 28 years bench experience, hot bluing, parkerizing, glass bedding, trigger jobs and built /customizied over 200 boltaction riflesjust never done this on a handi before, and I know when to ask for help. I read the Faq's, and sorry for my wrong nomenclanture on the parts. I simply had to remove some metal on the underlug, where the locking lug contacts it. I ened up filing 6 strokes total, checking between each stroke and stoning, then using a sharpie to check lockup, with forearm on. After 6th stroke, and 1/2 hour of stoning, locks up solid as a bank vault, and is rock solid all around. Test fired and everything is good to go! Thanks for the replies, espeically about sending guns back to the factory for fitting, cant tell you how many times I have did the ssame for customers. Thanks again all.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts

Gunsmith huh?.....That "bolt shelf" comment really got me believing that this barrel fitting project was not going to turn out well! ;D

Had some of us a little worried there for a while, so glad to see you got her up and running.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts

The term 'bolt' has been used for locking apparatus for a long time; ie, 'bolt' the door!
IIRC, Colt's calls the cylinder 'lock' a bolt.
I still tend to want to call H&R's Lifter/Striker assembly a Transfer Bar............
Hope this rifle treats you good ;D .

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts

;D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a chance to shoot the 30/30 barrel yesterday, open sights only. I dug around and found 12 box's of ammo from when I used to run a gun/gunsmithing/archery shop, all Federal 150 and 170 grn powershock. Sandbagged at 50yds, both loads shot 1&1/2 inches high, same point of aim on paper. Three shot groups, and allowing to cool between groups, would keep all 3 bullet holes touching, with either load, about same elevation. I then picked out a quart oil can someone had left at 100yds and hit it 3 of 4 offhand, and a popcan at the 150 yd range, hit it 3 of 5, misses were close enough to bounce the can a good 5-6 feet. Felt pretty good about this, did not touch the sights. I may use this as a jump gun when I head to Georgia hog hunting in 3 weeks. I see what all you guys were talking about, the 30/30 barrels being super accurate. In all honesty my 45/70 and 44 mag shoot about the same, but I believe with a scope and load workup, should shoot MOA at 100yd.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Way to go koger!

Gotta love those rimmed cartridges in a Handi rifle. They go together like peas in a pod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.