Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
24,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a No1 ruger in .458mag should be a real fun cast bullet gun!

·
Registered
203 Posts
A nice classy gun, with a big enough hole in the barrel to make it fun :)

Whenever I get my replacement 458 lott, I plan on sending plenty of cast bullets down the tube.

While folks may question your choice of a 458 win mag, the best answer is, a 458 win mag can be down loaded to 45-70 levels, but the 45-70 can't ever be loaded up to win mag levels.

Have fun and let us know how it shoots.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Yes, and if it starts to rain very hard you can hide in the bore! Ain't them big holes nice?? :)

·
24,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
loaded up some ammo last night All I have in the 500 grain size is the rcbs flat nose gas check bullet. I loaded it ahead of 70 grains of benchmark max load is 73 This bullet is designed for the marlins though I had to crimp it on the first lube grove and it was still highly compressed I dont know what bullet hogdons was using to get 73 grains in there. But I guess at almost 2000 fps it still out to make a good squirel rifle!

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Lee bullet is like a semi bore rider. the driving bands don't come as far up the bullet as the RCBS bullet. The Lee bullet doesn't have to be seated as deeply as the RCBS bullet, taking up less case capicity. If you want a bullet that expands, cast the bullet out of wheel weights + 2% tin, and leave them air cool. The maximum velocity is about 1900-2000 fps. If you want a bulet that acts like a full metal jacket, water drop the bullets. You should then be able the get the velocity up to maximum. 8)

·
24,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is this a flat nose bullet what is the mold no.?
Joe Kool said:
The Lee bullet is like a semi bore rider. the driving bands don't come as far up the bullet as the RCBS bullet. The Lee bullet doesn't have to be seated as deeply as the RCBS bullet, taking up less case capicity. If you want a bullet that expands, cast the bullet out of wheel weights + 2% tin, and leave them air cool. The maximum velocity is about 1900-2000 fps. If you want a bulet that acts like a full metal jacket, water drop the bullets. You should then be able the get the velocity up to maximum. 8)

·
24,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dont know swapped a 280 #1b for it I would guess around $600
jpuke said:
If you don't mind me asking - what's one of those Rugers cost? It's such a pretty gun, I think I'll have to get my hands on one someday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.