Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll: I know, but I was going to try to pick up some new traps at the Ohio State Convention this year. I have been leaning towards BMI K9 Wolfers. How fox friendly are they. I have grey fox , reds and the occassional coyote on the line. I don't have a mig welder so there are very few modification that I can make. I would like to target coyote. I know that some would go to a #3 but Ohio has a 5 5/8 jaw spread limit. I would also appreciate any other suggestions on other traps. Thank you very much. John Miller

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have been playing with some new canine traps myself this year due to the grey/red/ coyote mix. I haven't tried the BMIs, but will say both the Bridger 1.65 in an offset, laminated, base-plated-4-coil and the Sleepy Creek 1.75 offset, base-plated have been great traps. The Bridgers were a bit harder to get tuned right, but I the long run I think they will hold up better on the coyote......if I ever get one this year. Both have been user friendly on the fox.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was kind of suprised by the vote for the 1.65. I thought that a coyote foot was almost too big to fit in the 5 inch jaw spread. And after the modifications it would run the price way up. I was wanting to stay around the $100 mark per dozen. And keep the modifications to a minimum. I should have said that in my 1st post ,sorry about that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The BMI K9 wolfers are a real nice little trap. They have smooth thick offset jaws a paw-i-trip pan system with a nite latch. They work good on both fox and coyote and no modifacation is needed, just dye and wax or dip. Try a dozen I think you'll like'em. Hey and while your at it try some of asa's bobcat call lure , I tried it this year and I really like it.....B.....

·
Registered
421 Posts
coyote traps

I am able to get away with smaller traps for coyotes here in Nebraska because our coyotes just are not that big. I think other regions must see the "super" critters, but it is a rare day when I catch a coyote here that is over 25 lbs wet. I had to find something that was also easy on coons and fox, as well as coyote, since any one of them could end up in my dryland predator sets here. With coon prices up nicely, and fox a real plus this year, still had to be able to pinch a coyote if one worked my set. I've held several coyotes well in even little #11 longsprings, and our coyote's feet aren't that big at all. I won't set anything larger now than a #2 longspring, which is actually even less jawspread than a #2 coilspring...more comparable to the #1.75s or the #1.65 coils, in fact. Any of these seem to still get a very decent pad catch on coyotes but not too high up on coon or fox feet, for my liking.
I had some of the older BMI K-9s and I really liked the smooth edges of their jaws, slight gap when closed, and the button on the end of the dog that acted as a nice night-latch or secondary setting position. I held everything in them except front foot caught coons...and with our good male coons pushing $20.00 this year I had to let the k-9s go and opt for a tighter jaw closing model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts