Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a cheap Cabellas Pietta, 1851 Navy and this is my first C&B revolver. Instructions are spartan to nill. exploded parts view is the best info. Some important questions, #1 cap size 10 or 11? #2 the screw over the wedge is a stop correct? as the wedge wears the screw is turned in? #3 what are the small pins between nipples for, the hammer has a cutout to accomadate them but the timming of the piece precludes the hammer comming down on or over a pin> ??This gun will be fired with 5 rounds as the second gun in cowboy action shooting. I need those caps to stay in place with rapid cycle. my thinking is to tilt the pistol to the right (2 o:clock) as I pull back the hammer to allow any caps that need to fall free to tumble away from the action. comments? thanks in advance. JB

·
Registered
91 Posts
Newbee to C&B revolver with some questi

OK-- Will try to answer as best I can.
#1-- you will have to try each size cap to see which will work best. Best solution is to get a set of nipps from Thunder Ridge- Treso brand. Then #11 will work.
#2- the screw is there to keep the wedge from falling out when you are taking the barrel off. Wedge won't "wear" & the screw is either in tight or it is loose.
#3- the pins are there to set the hammer on originally if ya loads 6 chambers. Pull hammer back & stop b4 it gets to 1/2 cock, turn cylinder till the pin lines up with hammer, let hammer down.
When you seat the caps, use a push stick to really seat them on the nipps. I prob would start with #11's. They will fall off (shot ones)as the cylinder goes past the frame.
If ya needs any more info- let me know. I shoot nothing but C&B for 2 1/2 yrs., 3 matches a month, and have 18 of them.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

I have the cabelas 51 and 61 and they both take #10s with the stock nipples, but who knows on yours. I wouldn't bother or trust the little pins to hold the hammer, just load 5 if you're carrying the gun. Point the barrel up when cocking to allow any broken caps to fall away and not get stuck in the works when shooting.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Search under my name, Gatofeo, for my earlier posts: "How to properly use a cap and ball sixgun" and "Found! Proper felt to make wads," or some such titles. Can't remember offhand what I titled them.
Anyway, lots of good info in there for beginners.
Cactus Cris has given you sound advice. Heed it.
Check out my posts for more detailed information.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes, I had read your felt post when you put it up. I just copied it down for reference again. The thing is, I had some of those dry felt wads and when I used them with a little of my beeswax crisco mix I felt the accuracy was poor compared to naked ball on powder. I was shooting cowboy at the time. I need to take my time with a rest and cut some paper to really tell the story. Thanks for the info. JB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts