Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. I've been reloading for years, but am just getting into this casting thing. My question is about using a coleman stove to clean wheel weights and make them into ingots. If I do that, can I still use the stove to cook food? Of course, I will NOT use the pot, ladles, spoons, etc. that all have contact with the lead, but is the stove itself ok to cook on (with other, non-lead pots, etc)?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I cannot see why not either but some on more cautious may be against it but like it was said a lot of us at one time used the good old kitchen stove. If nothing else hit the junk shops and find a electric hotplate they can be had for a buck or two and it will do the job well and then you will have no worries. Jim

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I got one of those single burner Coleman deals that are designed to screw on to a small propane cylinder for camping. Using that with a hose and a big 25# tank, and supporting the burner on a couple of cinderblocks has worked really well for me in the past for cleaning scrap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tore out a 3 burner stove, from an old camper and built a frame around it with handles to make it a table top stove. I use it for mixing my WW's and Lino. I also still use it at my camp to cook on. Just keep it clean, you'll be ok. :grin:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
:D Hey there casters,

I have as old Coleman stove which has melted a very large amount of lead/WW.

And NO, I do not use this stove for cooking. The stove frame must be about 55 years old, and cooked a bunch of great food in its day, but years ago it was retired to lead melting.

A few years back, I put newer guts in it from a stove which jumped into the way of my son's truck. That didn't do the frame much good, but did give my old stove a second life.

Anyway, have used the stove a couple of times recently and plan to fire up again early on the 4th. Have a new 45ACP which wants to be fed, so must get back to the process.

I use a large pot, Rowell bottom pour ladle and generally run 3 - 4 molds at a time. This system just flat runs circles around any bottom pour I have seen in operation when it comes to production.

Keep em coming! :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts