Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cheers :D

I've got to be the "dumbest" bpcr person here!

When do you "trim" your brass? I just did mine before I resized them - WRONG!

I thought that after annealing(sp?) them, they would be "too soft" to handle the trimmer - well, let me tell you - it don't work that way with MY brass!

I trimmed brass, for my 2.875 (2 7/8) to 2.865 and figured it was "good" - I didn't re-measure after! What a DUMMY! I got brass out that was 2.950+!

Gentle winds,
cr :cry:

Now, it takes a hammer to seat the shell in the chamber!

·
Registered
557 Posts
CR

So, what's your question? Sounds like you answered it yourself. Yeah, trimming is what I do, if I do, just before I seat a primer.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As you guessed the annealed brass was pretty soft and it stretched a lot!

I’m right now forming new 40-70 WCF brass out of Starline 2.4” brass. These are the steps I’m using:

1. Anneal
2. Reform in dies
3. Trim to Max chamber length. (These are oversized, the longest length I can get in my chamber.)
4. Fire-Form. (Brass usually shrinks some as it’s blown out to chamber dimensions)
5. Neck Size
6. Trim to final OAL.

Chuck

·
Registered
120 Posts
Trimming to early or to late?

CDC,

Perhaps to eliminate all the "make work", a chamber cast of the .40-70 was in order.

Hindsight, ..................isn't it wonderful? Always 20-20.

·
Registered
32 Posts
trimming brass stuff.....

I havn't shot my brass enough yet but I initially trimmed to length after full sizing. After fireforming I don't size at all and merely hand seat my bullets on the wad and powder and crimp lightly the case mouth. I depend on the bullet seating into the throat simular to a target 22 chamber for accuracy! This practice, I believe, works the brass alot less and keeps me from having to anneal cases. In modern benchrest 1000 yard shooting we toss out our cases when they start needing to be annealed too often. Brass is cheap in the common cartridges and its recycleable. :drink4:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts