Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is a coyote I got it a few hours after shooting the boar. I hunt hogs at night over bait that I have four green led solar powered little yard lights made to put along your side walk. I get a coyote almost as often as I do a hog. We put the hog remains close to the light which draw them into the area. Hogs eat the remains as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,848 Posts
I was thinking the same thing Stewart. That raised hair along the spine makes it look very Russian.

That is some muscle system in profile!!! How tough was it to kill? What caliber? Through which part of the animal?

How much did it weigh? My scale goes to a max of 350#'s. That one would have pegged it. I have not tried two scales, back to back in parallel, and added their weights. I don't know if they would share the weight or not - but that seem feasible - from an engineer's perspective. Anybody ever try that?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weighed on a local farm supply scales he was 405. The owner was surprised since he had guessed he would top 500. Shot at around 70 yards with 7mm 08 using 150 grain nosler partion bullet. One shot behind shoulder no exit wound which made for no blood trail, just tracks. He went about 80 yds from where I shot him to where I found him next morning. The fields I shot him in haven't been mowed in more than seven years which makes for one heck of a thicket so I backed out and found him at daylight the next morning. Would not want to get close to him in the dark to find he was still alive .

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Wise decision, we wouldn't fare well fighting him on his terms, in his choice of territory.
Great hog, thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
10,848 Posts
Yes! 150 grain Nosler Partition! High energy transfer, superior penetration, quick knock down. I too would not go in there after any hog that isn't DRT. Too many with a bad attitude wait for their back trail to be shadowed and they come out with vengeance in their eyes. Not a good plan to be on one's hands and knees in the dark and potentially facing that.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
That's about the meanest looking thing I've ever seen.

Off topic: With your handle of flyrod444, and living in NC, I have to ask, are you a flyfisherman??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been fly fishing for trout in wnc for right at 50 years, and guided fly-fishing for around 33 years now. Love to hunt but you could say I live to fish.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
I've been fly fishing for trout in wnc for right at 50 years, and guided fly-fishing for around 33 years now. Love to hunt but you could say I live to fish.
That's great.
So you must be familiar with the flyfishing museum in Bryson City; and, when the museum opens in its new location, if it already isn't, you can see a bamboo rod made in 1935 by
E.C. Powell for my Grandfather. I had my first casting lesson on that rod on July 4th 1948.
I donated the rod last year, and hope to get back up there in the spring to finally see it on display.
I was a flyfishing fanatic until I got old and developed bad thumbs.
I still have two flyrods, a 12 footer for high-sticking, and the first flyrod of my own, a 7' 9"
Shakespear. all my other rods were sold.
Tight lines. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did you get that close to home? Assuming you still live at the same place.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zookiezoom, I got it on our land in Glenville on Big Ridge. Hogs have become a problem in that area. We had been hunting for this beast three years before I got a shot at him. I started carrying a 44 magnum or 357 sig when walking, fishing and even turkey hunting after running into him one morning slipping into the woods for a turkey hunt. He looked like a rino running out of a field before daylight that day.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Zookiezoom, I got it on our land in Glenville on Big Ridge. Hogs have become a problem in that area. We had been hunting for this beast three years before I got a shot at him. I started carrying a 44 magnum or 357 sig when walking, fishing and even turkey hunting after running into him one morning slipping into the woods for a turkey hunt. He looked like a rino running out of a field before daylight that day.
That's the same place Davis was showing me hog pics from then. Like to get in on some of that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts