Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
24,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a 3x9 buckmaster refirb earlier this year for my 6 mm rem classic. Was farting around with it a while back and dropped it and bent the tube. Boxed it up and sent it to Nikon without and pre authorization and wrote them a note saying that this was totally my fault for dropping it. Got a brand new 2.5x10 prostaff 5 in the mail yesterday. Compared it side by side with a buckmaster in the daytime and in low light and this prostaff is a much better scope optically then the bushmaster which were much better then the original prostaffs. Shows good on them to replace a damaged refirb with a brand new scope that's even higher quality. Granted they don't have a scope any cheaper then a prostaff but id guess they still have some old scopes laying around somewhere they could have sent.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Glad they treated you well. But when you say they don't have a scope "any cheaper than a ProStaff," that is not correct. The BuckMaster II is now the bottom of the barrel and is comparable to the original ProStaff lineup (and not the same quality as the original BuckMasters).

You actually got a very nice upgrade with the scope they sent you. The ProStaff 5 is not that far behind the Monarch in terms of optical performance. I think you'll really like it...

·
24,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya I saw those buckmaster II scopes after I posted this. They almost look like the old prostaff scopes. Nikon has done it before they got rid of there older stock by calling them something different. They did it with the first gen monarchs calling them team primos. I really like this scope and was going to call it a good race between it and the newest vx1 for best bang for the buck scope ever but looked them up and there about half way between vx1 and vx2s in price. Still one heck of a scope for 250 though. Just wish they would have named it something other then prostaff. Kind of makes me feel like ive got a tasco on my rifle. As you can guess the original prostaffs never excited me. ;)

·
24,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
old smooth Lloyd did it again today. I sighted in the 6mm with it on it. Everything went great scope tracted great and again im impressed by the brightness of this scope. Came home took the gun out in the barn and leaned it up against the jeep and then proceded to knock it over. Two nice scratches on the scope. I guess we will see tomarrow how tough it is when I try it again. Honestly id expect any scope that took a hit like that on concrete to loose zero but we shall see.

·
24,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well it held zero for 20 shots and a few pops to the side with the palm of my hand BUT it didn't track real well getting there so I think something may be amiss. Ill take it out a few more times and bump it around and make sure it holds zero. Im not real conserned about the tracking as this gun has shot the same load for 20 years and wont change but it just make me loose a bit of confidence in it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
After that fall, I'd recommend taking off the scope, rings and base and starting from scratch. If it's been together a while, you'll want to use a solvent to remove any thread locker, clean it all (including the screws) and then re-install. That'll at least let you know everything is properly secured and where the problem may or may not lie.

Keep us posted...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.