Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its just me again :D

I have spoken with Jon at Opticzone a couple times now. He said that the Monarch is a very good scope and worth the extra money over an Elite 3200. I asked him about the Weaver Grandslam. He had very good things to say about them. He put them on the level of a Leo Vari X III. So i was wondering if any of you have used the new Grand Slams. I was looking at the 3-10x40. THANKS!!!!

scott

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
There was an article sometime ago in Outdoor Life magazine. In fact, I recently saw the article on a website.

In any event, the article compared various scopes including the Elite 4200, Zeiss, Grand slam, BSA, Swarovski, Cabellas, Kahles, and other scopes.

The Elite 4200 and Zeiss had the best resolution at SOA 3.3 (whatever that means). BSA was junk, Cabellas wasn't all that great, Kahles was somewhat of a disappointment, especially given that it had 50mm objectives and was quite expensive.

Anyhow, the "editor's choice" was the Grand Slam. And I think it was the same one you are looking at. Part of their decision, in part, was based on price and mechanical functioning. I have heard that the tracking on the Grand Slam is excellent.

I have never even held a Grand Slam in my hands, but I do know that Jon is quite fond of them (as is, apparently the editor at Outdoor Life). I would be tempted to say that perhaps Weaver, or other manufacturers, have inside deals with magazines and/or their editors to make a decision. However, if Jon also likes the Weavers a lot, then I am more inclined to believe the accuracy of the Outdoor Life article.

Still, I would recommend the Nikon Monarch as I have owned several and NEVER had any problems. (In fact, I recently purchased, and received, a Nikon Monarch 3x-9x-40mm, and Elite 4200 4x-16x-50mm, from Jon just this week). Of course the Elite 4200 are superb as well. The Vari-X IIIs are great, but, in my opinion, overpriced, and really not as great as the Elite 4200s or Monarchs in terms of optical resolution and clarity (I also own a couple of Vari-X IIIs).

If I find the article, then I will try and post it on this board.

Zachary

·
Registered
156 Posts
Scott, don't forget to look at eye relief on the scopes you are considering. I didn't see what caliber rifle you're mounting the scope on. The Elite scopes are a little close to the eye for me. Others swear by them. Dave

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
chk,

You are definately right about the Elites having short eye relief. In fact, this is my only quarrel with the Elites. Granted, some models like the 4x-16x-50mm have 3.6 inches of constant eye relief (which is fine), but other models just have 3.0 to maybe 3.3.

The Nikon Monarchs have good eye relief, but I don't know about the Grand Slams.

I must say that, after reading those articles, and seeing those prices, the Grand Slams sound kinda good, but I think that I would rather stick with the Elite 4200s and Nikon Monarchs.

Zachary

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grand Slam

Well, I went to a gun show this past weekend. I spent about an hour looking over different scopes and asking questions. I think I am going to go with a Weaver Grandslam. I keep hearing good things about them. I am in no way knocking any of the other scopes, but something about the weaver really appeals to me. Sometime in the near future I'll order one from Optic Zone, and I will keep everyone updated on how it goes! Thanks again for all of your help!!!

Scott

·
Registered
77 Posts
Grand Slams

Regarding eye relief: The grand Slam has an eye relief (3-10X40) of 3.5 - 3". This falls between the Nikon Monarch (usually around 3.5") and Bushnells. I like my Grand Slam. I have it on a 6.5 Swede, so the shorter eye relief is no problem. I teseted it side by side against a Zeiss Conquest in the store, and they were close, however in the deeper shadows, the Zeiss showed slightly more detail. Another good deal is the Bushnell Legend scope (3.5" eye releief). Optically the Bushnell 4200 is slightly superior to the Grand Slam, but not much. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
In addition to hearing a lot of good things about the Grand Slam, I have read many articles giving the same amount of praise.

I must admit that I just might buy a Grand Slam one of these days. I still have quite of few NIB rifles that are just waiting to have a scope mounted on 'em. :grin:

Zachary

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
grand slam

Well, I just ordered it a little bit ago from OpticZone. I will keep you updated when I get a chance to use it.

Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
:D My first post here. I own a Weaver Grand Slam 3x9x40 and it is a very bright scope. Only 3 inch eye relief so be careful and is a little on the heavy side. That being said its the brightest Optics for the money.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Welcome aboard Adstrin :D .

3 inches of eye relief, even on a non-magnum rifle like, say, a 270 Winchester, is still a little too short for me.

What kind of rifle do you have your scope mounted on?

Zachary

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got a Weaver GS 3.5-10x mounted on a Weatherby in .300Wby and have had no problems with it. And there is no brake on the Wby. 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I first mounted it on my M-70 classic in a 7mag. Not enough eye relief so I put it on my Savage 11 in a 7-08. Much better set-up. Right now its my favorite. Just make sure you put it on the right rifle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts