Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you all feel about people that Putt up (no hunting signs). :mad: :mad: Our policy on the farm has always been, you can hunt on us if we can hunt on you. Well a Nieghbor Put no hunting sign up on about 350 acres, he has leased from an other nieghbor. ( you want to talk about a Bunch of hard feeling ) We now have it in our little nieghborhood. I've hunted that land all My life. I shot My first Buck on that land . It saddens me that the world has come to this. I will Never put signs up .. Your More than welcome to hunt on me, if I can hunt on you.

please excuse my spelling.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Everyone has the right to do want they want with their own land.

The thing that ticks me off is the lack of common courtesy to discuss changes in time honored situations face to face.

I had an adjoiner put up signs out of the blue a few years ago. I never hunted on his property (never needed to) and he knew it, at least I thought.

If he had reason to suspect I was hunting on him and he didn't want me to, he should have just come over and discussed it.

Instead I came home one day and found the signs.

Which I tore down because he had them about 10-30 feet on my side of the line. ( ;) )

Gave them back and then I had the talk with him about it, and he seemed ticked, but I assured him he never had to worry about me crossing the line. I told him I expected the same courtesy from him also, and the level of my scrutiny into that courtesy depended solely on him.

It's sad that you lost your your acreage.

It's sorry that your neighbor is gutless.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I think you just need to talk to the man. He may not have a problem at all with you hunting there. It may be others he has a problem with. Dale

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
sk330lc said:
no I was told that, the sign are for everybody.
Who told you that? It could be that is the person he has the problem with. I would still take it to him. Dale

·
Registered
723 Posts
My closest neighbor and I had to post our lands. 50 years ago, folks would stop by and ask permision to hunt, mostly rabbit hunters. Good folks and we always allowed it. Then came "hunters" from Rochester NY, about a 3 hour drive or more. Pocket flasks with brandy, empty ash tray in driveway, shoot at anything that moved and a few things that didn't. Cut barb wire fences and leave trash. Twice shot towards my cabin and I heard the BB's hit the steel roof. Twice I chased them off, at gun point. Third time, State Police came and arrested them.
Now everything for miles around is posted. My neighbor and I agree to go freely on each others land.
I'm too old to climb a tree stand anymore, but I keep his ground stands swept out, and use his and mine at different places on either properties.
It saddens me to do this and it saddened me to have to lock up all my cabins. Used to leave them unlocked, so a traveler or hunter could use them as needed. Never had a problem. Most people would bring in fresh wood and split kindling for the next person. Cook a meal, then clean the dishes.Those days are gone forever.
Sorry to carry on so, but this topic, for me, high lights drastic changes in society for me.

The Hermit

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DALESCARPENTRY said:
sk330lc said:
no I was told that, the sign are for everybody.
Who told you that? It could be that is the person he has the problem with. I would still take it to him. Dale
I did Talk TO HIM. the Guy that put the signs up and the owner of the property. No reason given why.

Hermit, You are not welcome to hunt on me.. Do you hunt on other people other than your neighbor?

In Ohio you have to have (written permission) to Hunt on private property .. so there is no need for signs. Other than to say you are an - - - - - and don't want to be bothered.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
In VA we also have the same law, you have to have (written permission) to Hunt on private property.
You even have to have written permission to retrieve down game.
You can no longer just come on over and get it.

The problem is that no one seems to care about the law.
They just walk right in as if they own the place.
When you are surrounded on three sides with subdivisions you will know why the land owner posts his land.
The torn down fences, trash left behind, trees cut because they needed a shooting lane, 4 wheelers running all over your farm.
Have had all that and more.
I'm sorry boys, but if you come to my place you are going to see signs and plenty of them.
We use to let people hunt but after finding a total of 7 cows, three horses and my dog shot over the years and myself along with my sister shot at I wonder why I post my land!
I don't hunt on other peoples land with out written permission, and even then I very seldom hunt on others land.
You never know what kind of nut you may run into.
I don't know who all the other person let hunt there also.
I have no problem with someone that wants to post his land.
It's just that, HIS LAND!
Even if he doesn't post it that doesn't give someone the right to just come in and hunt.

I use to know a guy who lived not far from me who would brag about sneaking in and killing deer during season on me.
He did it for years.
So early one morning during season I had to go someplace and was going by his house.
I decided to pay him a little visit.
I pulled up in his yard (on the grass), got out of my truck, put on my camo cloths along with a bright orange hat & vest, got my rifle (unloaded) and sat down in his front yard.
This is in a subdivision.
About a half hour later his wife got up and saw me in the yard.
She came out and asked what I was doing.
I told her that since her husband liked to sneak in and hunt on me so much I figured he wouldn't mind if I hunted on him for a while.
When she went back inside, I guess to call her husband or the police I got in my truck and left.
I have never had anymore trouble from him hunting on my land!

Come on boys.
You mean you wouldn't care if you went out and there was someone you didn't know hunting on your land without your permission?
I really don't believe that.
Maybe if it was someone you knew, but not a total stranger from who knows where.
Don't forget, if your land isn't posted and you let them in and they get hurt you are responsible, even if you didn't give them permission.
I know, sounds stupid but it has happened.

We don't live in the good old days when everyone knew each other and you could trust them anymore.
Those days are gone forever.
You have people living side by side that don't even know each other.
Out in the more rural areas it may be better but not near the bigger towns and citys.

If I know you and you ask you stand a pretty good chance of getting permission from me.
If I don't know you and you don't ask, keep the heck out.

You may think hard of me if you want, but that is the cold hard facts of life.

LONGTOM

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
These days ya really just can't afford to let everyone come onto your land to hunt or fish or to do whatever. Way too many lawyers and folks wanting to sue you. The land owner or lease holder if such exists makes the rules and if you don't respect that then you not they are the problem. It's not your land and you do not control it.

Yes by all means they should stay off your land but so should you off theirs unless there is a mutual agreement otherwise.

Here in Bama ALL land is posted by law so unless you have written permission from the land owner you better not be caught on it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
sk330lc, No I don't hunt on anybody else's land, nor have any intention to. I realize that people who post their land bothers you and I accept that. You have been fortunate not to have any problems on your land.
I have not been so fortunate. I'm not quite sure what you are calling me by saying "other than to say you are an ----- and don't want to be bothered" ?? Happy hunting anyway.

The Hermit

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
VA has three types of posts that are recognized by the state as a legal post.

1- Signs
2- A silver paint mark on a tree 3" to 6" wide at head height
about 2' to 3' long
3- A three strand wire fence or better is a legal post also but
very few people know this fact.

LONGTOM

·
2,656 Posts
If you own the land, it's up to you if you want to post it, end of story.  I have no problem with a couple select neighbors, friends, and relatives hunting my land, but ask yourself this-  The people from town you don't know, or from out of town all together, who just show up and want to hunt, did they help make any payments on the property over the years?, did they help put in the trails, plant a few food plots, help pay the taxes,  chip in when trees had to be cut, crops harvested, or fences repaired?  Are they going to treat your land, and its game with the same respect as you?..Really?  How many even ask permission?  How many invite you to come to their place to hunt?

I guess you see where I am going with this.  Not to be a jerk about it, but I live in PA, own several hundred acres in Maine that we work hard to manage for game, to make accessible, and to enjoy thru out the year.  I get tired of putting a lot of time, $, and effort into it, only to find people with attitudes hunting out of my stands on my property, un-invited.  Garbage and beer cans dumped, people shooting at I dont know what, but making enough noise to scare any self respecting buck into deep cover, and trying to drive their 4x4's onto trails that were cut as hunting foot paths.  OK, rant over...:) And that being said, it does not mean that knocking on the door, and asking might not be productive. There are more then a few folks who have taken their kids small game hunting, camping, and fishing, all they had to do was ask..

Larry

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
In FL hunting without permission is a felony. When I was young we crossed private land all the time. I'm pretty careful about that now days. You can't always tell private land from public. Hunting ain't what it use to be.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Graybeard said:
These days ya really just can't afford to let everyone come onto your land to hunt or fish or to do whatever. Way too many lawyers and folks wanting to sue you. The land owner or lease holder if such exists makes the rules and if you don't respect that then you not they are the problem. It's not your land and you do not control it.

Yes by all means they should stay off your land but so should you off theirs unless there is a mutual agreement otherwise.

Here in Bama ALL land is posted by law so unless you have written permission from the land owner you better not be caught on it.

In Minnesota a year or 2 ago they passed a law that keeps the land owners from being held liable to people that are giving permission to hunt their land. The sad thing is I believe tresspasers still could sue.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The said:
sk330lc, No I don't hunt on anybody else's land, nor have any intention to. I realize that people who post their land bothers you and I accept that. You have been fortunate not to have any problems on your land.
I have not been so fortunate. I'm not quite sure what you are calling me by saying "other than to say you are an ----- and don't want to be bothered" ?? Happy hunting anyway.
The Hermit
Hermit,
Your ok in my Book! You posted your land with the intention, of not hunting or going on to anybody else. This is how it should be and I respect that. Knowing that now. I will not ask to hunt on you and we can be great friends.
What Burns my butt is. People that post land and they intend to still hunt on everybody else. To me thats wrong.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Well, private property is private property. I'd rather see "No Hunting Signs" on a fence than clearing acreage for an outlet mall. At least the former provides habitat. I tell people no all the time that ask to hunt our ranch in Marble Falls, Tx. It is for family and personal friends and guests only. Even turned down some decent money for a group lease. No worth the headache. I had to decide to buy a home or hunting land investment. I chose the land investment.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts