Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tell you, it's not fair! I have invested at least a dozen hours studying before choosing to go with a .25 WSSM for the Encore I'm building, ONLY to find out that TC has strongly recommended that barrels for for the WSMs or WSSMs NOT be made. They said it would weaken the barrels and make them dangerous to shoot. Once I heard that, it made sense why nobody was making them yet, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. :evil:

·
Registered
193 Posts
25wsm

van horn barrels does the barrels also does weatherbys ty lee his barrels are great

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked at Van Horn and they don't have the 25 WSSM listed anywhere for TC barrels.

And I have no idea who you're talking about when you say "weatherbys ty lee." Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
193 Posts
barrels

van horn does weatherby barrels and wssm . i just had a 257 weatherby done by him . phone no. is 480-892-9630 ty, lee

·
Registered
470 Posts
wsm

Bullberry says Noooooooo now tooooooooo. I bought one from Fred in 300 wsm and it showed pressure signs early. I asked Fred about it and he said bring it back and trade for any other chamber I wanted. I just had him chop it and rechamber it to a 308 winchester.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
There is a big difference in the stress placed on the action with a Weatherby and a WSSM. The smaller diameter Weatherby/Winchester Mags have a maximum internal cross sectional area of about 0.19 in2 while the WSSMs have one of ca. 0.22 in2. At a chamber pressure of 60,000 psi the WSSM places a 17% greater thrust on the breech, or almost 2000 pounds more force. That could be enough to initiate plastic failure of the receiver. It certainly explains why the Weatherby-sized cases are safe (as chambered by T/C) yet the WSSM is not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts