Graybeard Outdoors banner

Norinco 1911a1 extractor broke, have questions

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Gunfixr 
#1 ·
My Norinco ,45acp, extractor tip is MIA.

Does anyone know for certain who has one, or maybe what 'series' extractors will work ?

also, are they a 'drop in ' part, or does a 'smith need to fit them ?
thanks !

#2 ·
I have a friend who has a norinco 1911. It's been quite some time since I looked at it, but, as I recall, most 1911 parts fit.
I'd try a regular 1911 extractor.
At least take the broken one along to compare if you can find a local replacement.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Standard 70 series type extractor should fit fine; most of the extractor breaks I've seen came from 1) the habit of putting a round in the chamber and dropping the slide into battery prior to seating the magazine - the feed is actually a controlled round feed with the blade/hook of the extractor sliding up under the cartridge rim during the transition out of the magazine - doing the above forces the extractor head out and over the rim inducing stress it wasn't really designed for - that's the difference between the initial 1911 design of the internal extractor verses the later use of pinned external designs such as the S&W; 2) using steel cased ammo (not as common but I have seen it. - I believe it's due to harder extraction force required)

I'm sure some are manufactured parts that are improperly tempered and are brittle causing a break - just never personally witnessed one I felt was due to a fault. Though I will say the few Norinco's I have experience with seemed to be of harder steel.

A good 1911 'smith will 'tune' the extractor by shaping (slightly rounding/reducing) the very lower edge of the extractor hook. A properly tuned extractor is thing of beauty - Standing in one spot I could usually dump all the brass out of a magazine in a two-to-three foot circle one step to the right and one step back in my race guns I used compete with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.