Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to test out the 120 grain Nosler ballistic tips in my 264win. mag. I have to say that I am very impressed. Some people told me that they would knock down a deer and when they ran they would not leave a blood trail because of a small exit wound. I have found quite the oppisite though after taking a couple of deer. All but one dropped right where they were standing, and the one that ran only made it about 30-40yds. and left a very large blood trail. I was impressed with the accuracy and now I am impressed with the killing power. They truly are impressive rounds and I have been suggesting them to all the people I hunt with.

·
Registered
110 Posts
They worked fine for deer sized aniamals but failed to penetrate an elk's rib cage, not once, not twice but three shots blew up on the ribs. Killed the bull with a head shot after I figured out what was going on. Switched to the Remington 120 grain and am delighted with it. Have some Partition Noslers that have been sitting around for year, don't need to switch any more.

Good shooting!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of bullet is the remington 120 grain. I don't really trust remington because when I first got my 264 mag they were the only ones making ammo for it and the ammo was really bad. When winchester started making ammo with the same grain bullet I had to move up my zero 6in. at 100 yards. Since that day I swoar I would never buy anything remington again. They do make pretty good rounds for other calibers but I would not touch there 264 mag ammo ever again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I never use factory ammunition, started reloading in 1960 and never found a reason to use a factory shell since.

I buy Remington 120 grain bullets from Midway. Always buy at least 500 since the price break is better.

·
Registered
286 Posts
:grin: I had real good results on whitetail bucks with 150 gr Nos Ballistic Tips with 30.06 and .308 Win Supreme factory loads. Flat out dropped em like rocks. These were 140-160# animals and lung shots. I haven't hunted Elk yet but I think a Partiton would hold up on the heavier game better.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have used Nosler BT's on deer in 130gr. 270 win. and 100gr. 257 Roberts and have yet to have a complaint. One shot with the 270 was at 30 yds. and on the point of the shoulder. It penatrated to just in front of the far hip.
BruceP

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I'm surprised that a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip fired from a high velocity .264 Win. Mag. would penetrate, even on deer. Nevertheless, I'm glad they work for you.

I guess that Nosler BTs would definately penetrate a deer with lower velocity cartridges.

Zachary

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
:D I've been using the 150 gr. in my 30.06 for years and shot many Deer and antelope with excellent results. I use the 120 gr in my 7X30 waters contender and its worked well also. I do use a heavier weight partition bullet for elk.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have not seen a problem yet. Everyone that I have shot the bullet not only penetrated but passed right through with no problem. I have only had one run and I hit it very far back in the lungs and it only ran 30 yards. Some people told me that it would not penetrate but I shot one at about 50 yards and took one at over 300 yards and it penetrated with ease and dropped them like a bag of bricks. I think where they shine the best is on a neck shot though. The 120grns. in the 264 win. mag. leave a hole about the size of a watermelon when it comes out. Nothing can run from that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts