Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used these bullets on Mule deer , Elk and feral hogs. Anyone with much usable experience with thes bullets on Whitetails. I have use the 100 grain 6MM partition, the 150 grain .277 and the 200 grain in 30 caliber. I have a bunch of them right now in 7MM, 140 and 160 grain bullets planned for my 7MM Remington magnum. Some will end up in my 7x57 also.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Ive used the 160s on a few whitetail. They kill like lightning. Its been a few years but I dont recall them tearing up too much meat. My rem 700 7mag loved em.

·
3,204 Posts
I used them out of a 30-06 in 165. The exit holes were typically the size of a quarter and they worked very consistently. I would have no problem using them out of any rifle I would be hunting with.

Long

·
Super Moderator
11,043 Posts
After years of Speer Spitzers, Speer Grand Slams, Nosler Ballistics Tips, Winchester and Remmington Factory loads, and finally Nosler Partitions I have settled on the Partitions as the most reliable one shot kill bullets in .277 caliber x 150 gr. on both whitetailed deer and hogs out to 250 yards from my Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight.

Ballistic Tips are more accurate (for me) than Partitions but the exit wound of Partitions is USUALLY about the same size as the enrty wound and the animal never takes another step. Partition wound channel characteristics are generally quite wide across and adjacent to the bullet traverse. In contrast, Ballistic Tips tend to start small and blow away a huge chunck from the off hand side. I have had Ballistic Tips disintegrate on impact with dense bone mass, jacket separation, and lost deer that were mortally wounded, but had the energy to run away.

Finding wounded game on my land and the adjacent State land is no pleasure. Anchoring game is the right thing to do for the least "after the shot" effort. Therefore, a steady rest, shot placement, rifleman accuracy, and bullet performance are critical components for success.

I have compared the results on game taken over 15 hunting seasons. For the last 7 years it has been nothing but Partitions. They eat hogs with regularity too, probably ten to one hogs over deer.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wyoming was a lot different than Texas as far as tracking goes. I have had pretty good results with just about all the bullets I have used but generally where I place my bullets makes all the difference. I like to run the bullet thru the center of the chest and not involve the shoulder or hit the neck just in front of the shoulder. I have of late used Ballistic Tips and I liked the instant drop with a chest hit. I used the 100 grain partition out of my 6MM on a couple of feral hogs. One dropped and the other got into a river and was swept away. Near the end of deer season if and when it cools off is when I hunt hogs and then on thru march till it warms up. My 7x57 using 140 grain partitions will get some hog experience. Hogs are a bit different to me, their vitals lay low between the front legs and this means you will hit bone once in a while. I also shoot them most often thru the shoulder blades or in the neck because I like it when they drop in place and I am not so meat conscious with them as deer. I have had really good success with Speer Hotcors in 160 grain with this rifle on hogs and got a heck of a deal on 700 partitions so I have to use them somehow.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
If I had 7oo partitions Thats what Id use .I just bought 50 of the 160s, gonna work up a load for my 7mag for an elk hunt next year. So If you find a load that works or you need to get rid of some let me know. Jay

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 7MM Remington mag shoots very tight groups with 68.0 grains of Reloder 22 under a 140 grain Nosler Partition. It also shoots just fine with 160 grain Speers fired by 64.0 grains of Reloder 22. I suspect that is where I'll start with my 160 partitions. On deer I sort of feel the 7MM RM is a bit much gun as ranges are generally close where my lease is but I use just about anything on the hogs.

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
I believe I've used them in .270 Winchester, 7-08 and .30-06 at least maybe more I'm forgetting at the moment to take deer. All performed flawlessly just as expected. If there is a better bullet than the Nosler PT I don't know what it is. Perhaps others as good but dunno that I'd agree any better at least not for any use I'm likely to put them to.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to get some front end work on my truck or I'd be on my way out to the lease today, maybe tomorrow but for sure next weekend if it gets cold. I have been waiting for a bit of cold weather so I could hang my deer and stay at the lease after shooting on but it seems not to be happening. This Texas weather sure has been mild! I already have some 140 grain Partitions loaded in both my 7MM Remington mag. and my 7x57 so if it gets cold they might get to go, The dark of the moon is this coming weekend which will be good for deer. The full moon is the 23rd which would make the week after the best time in December to hog hunt. Maybe the temps will get down near freezing by then.

·
Registered
395 Posts
???
I have a box of 125 gr NP for my 6.5x55
but I save them for the right hunt, but at this stage I have
no idea what this hunt is?
I used Speers to hunt the impalas and they worked 100%, like everybody said
they would I after my post about the Speers.

The NP is too good to waste on a light bodied animal like the impala!
For the blue wildebeest I used Rhinos, they have a solid shank like Trophy bonded bear claw. I
might have used the NPs if they were 140gr but I thought I needed something
strong and heavy for this blue wildebeest - and I was right.

So yes I am waiting for the RIGHT (special) hunt and will the let you all know about
this before, during and after the hunt!!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like some cold and wet weather coming my way. My 7x57 and my 6MM Remington are going with me. Bet I see some deer.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I have used the 160 grain in my 7mm rem mag with great results on whitetail, even with a marginal shot. This year is used a combined technology moly 150 grain partition in my 308 on a buck, one shot through the rib cage and heart, small entrance wound, 2" exit, flawless performance and very accurate on paper targets.

Cheese

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't finish rebuilding my trucks front end till 3 pm today, Got new tires, front end aligned, fixed two broken studs and replaced two tie rod ends and a ball joint. Whew! I may shoot one deer with the 140 grain partition out of my 7x57 and the other with a 95 grain Ballistic tip out of the 6MM. Sort of a comparison I guess.It being unlikely I will find a doe much over 100 pounds I figue it won't make much difference.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Considering the 7MM bullet weighs 140 grains and is starting out at 2750 fps and the 95 grain Ballistic Tip is moving out over 3000 fps I can say there will be little difference on a doe weighing less than 100 pounds. I expect both to exit and kill quickly. Looks like I may even see some snow or at least frosty spitwads.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am trying to duplicate the bullet performance you got on the antelope. Anyway I meant impact velocity.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Keep it at or under 2950 fps to duplicate my results,I wouldnt shoot over 100 yards as well,make sure you strike a MASSIVE bone like the shoulder blade of a fawn antelope(often compared to the armor plating on a triceratops here on GBO) and you should have a good chance of duplicating them.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts