Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reload and get excellent accuracy out of my .243 with Nosler partition 100 grain pellets. You may want to give the commercial Nosler Partitions a try and see if they group tighter.

·
3,196 Posts
Partitions have generally shot well for me also. Never tried the 100 gn out of my 243 but have had excellent results out of my 280 and 308.

Long

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Nosler Partitions are excellent bullets in the 100 gr. .243 version but if Barnes had kept the 95 gr. TSX(I managed to get two boxes of them before they were replaced) instead of opting for the 85 gr., I would be using the TSX instead of Partitions. Better accuracy, penetration and performance. Lawdog
:D

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Lawdog said:
Nosler Partitions are excellent bullets in the 100 gr. .243 version but if Barnes had kept the 95 gr. TSX(I managed to get two boxes of them before they were replaced) instead of opting for the 85 gr., I would be using the TSX instead of Partitions. Better accuracy, penetration and performance. Lawdog
Again I have to agree with you on the Barnes. :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
Partitions have been top performers in my 6mm Rem, 30-06 and 300 Win.
Wally

·
Registered
319 Posts
I use the Nosler Bal. Tips in my .224s and .243s (up to 100grs.) but find the partitions are a better choice above that level. The Partitions are simply terrific hunting bullets. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
542 Posts
I use Nosler Partitions in my 270 Winchester, 7 MM Mauser, and 6.5.55 bolt action rifles. I am sold on the Partitions performance on game. For my money, give me Partitions. Accuracy is quite good also!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Lawdog, you shoot a deer with a NP and he falls down dead. Please explain how the barnes thing gives better performance???? Is the deer deader when you shoot it with a barnes bullet.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
beemanbeme said:
Lawdog, you shoot a deer with a NP and he falls down dead. Please explain how the barnes thing gives better performance???? Is the deer deader when you shoot it with a barnes bullet.
Better penetration with lighter weight bullets which means a flatter shooting load and better accuracy. Nosler Partitions have never given me the best accuracy but they performed(held together and penetrated better) than any other bullet I used for over 40 years. Now the Barnes TSX has come along and it performs even better. Lawdog

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
poncaguy said:
Is there any factory ammo loaded with the Barnes bullet?
Yes, Federal does for one. Weatherby is another. The following is a list of the Federal loading’s using Barnes TSX bullets with more to come in the near future. Lawdog
:toast:

PREMIUM VITAL*SHOK®

Load No. Caliber Grains/ Grams Bullet Style Use

P2506H 25-06 Rem. 100 / 6.48 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet 2
P270L 270 Win. 130 / 8.42 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet 2
P270WSMD 270 Win. Short Magnum 130 / 8.42 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet 2
P300WP 300 Win. Magnum 180 / 11.66 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet 3
P300WSMF 300 Win. Short Magnum 180 / 11.66 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet 3
P3006AE 30-06 Spring. (7.62x63mm) 180 / 11.66 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet 3
P308V 308 Win. (7.62x51mm) 150 / 9.72 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet 3
P338K 338 Win. Magnum 225 / 14.58 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet 3
P7RN 7mm Rem. Magnum 160 / 10.37 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet 3
P7WSMD 7mm Win. Short Magnum 160 / 10.37 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet 3

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
As always, see which bullet your gun likes. Some of my guns shoot TSX
bullets very well & I like these bullets for all of the reasons previously
mentioned. But I have a 30-06AI that prefer Nosler Part. & guess what,
it has the penetration & performance I need for the animals I hunt with
that gun. In another rifle, I use Horn. SST because of the BC & expansion
that I need for it's use. As much as I like Barnes TSX & in spite of the
fact that I use it more than any other bullet, my uses are too varied to
only use one design & therefore will not broad brush one preference.
I think this is one of the things that make shooting fun. We have so
many great bullets & so many applications!

Good shooting :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
TNrifleman said:
I use Nosler Partitions in my 270 Winchester, 7 MM Mauser, and 6.5.55 bolt action rifles. I am sold on the Partitions performance on game. For my money, give me Partitions. Accuracy is quite good also!
Which Nosler are you using in the 6.5x55? Are you using IMR 4350?
Regards
Mark

·
Registered
542 Posts
In the 6.5X55, I have used both the 125 and 140 grain Partitions. My son's rifle, a Swedish Model 96 Kimber conversion, likes the 140s. My Winchester Model 70 Featherweight prefers the 125s. A few weeks ago I bought a Remington Model 700 Classic in this cartridge. I haven't put glass on it yet, but am anxious to see what she will do. I have used 4350, but normally use Reloder 19, which works very well in the Swede. This is one great little deer cartridge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks. I've been using Sellior and Bellot 139 grain factory, shoots great......... but not always easy to find. I want to load for it, so I bought the 140 Noslers, and was thinking of 4350, but based on your expierence, I think I'll try the Reloader 19..... I really like this round, and think its under rated......

regards
Mark

·
Registered
188 Posts
Partitions

In the two rifles(.25-06, and 300 WSM) I tried Partitions for, the
accuracy sucked. I was working loads up with both Partitions, and
Barnes XBTs, at the time, and nothing I tried for the Partitions,
got under 1.75 MOA. At the same time, some of the XBT loads
were going sub MOA. I gave up on the Partitions, and worked
the XBT loads down to .6 MOA for the 300 WSM, and got .5 MOA
out of the .25-06. I have since started re-working the Barnes
loads, for these two rifles, with TSX bullets, and the groups
are tightening up about .1" or better in each of these two rifles.

I was a big fan of Nosler bullets, but I have slowly drifted away
with Hornady V-Max replacing some of the Nosler Ballistic tip
loads, and Barnes XBT/TSX replacing all of the Nosler Partition
loads.. My AR-15 loves the 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips, and the
.25-06 loves the 85 gr. NBT, so Nosler still gets some of my money,
but not for Partitions. I know a number of shooters that like them
and more power to them. I just expect better accuracy out of
a Premium bullet, and I didn't see that with my Partition load
work.

Squeeze

·
Registered
36 Posts
Squeeze:

Over the last 30 years I think bullet quality has increase, with uniformity getting better all the time. Were the Noslers you tried older stock? I still have bullets I "stocked" up on 25 years ago............ and they shoot ok, but newer stocks (of all brands) seem to be better than those I bought in the good ole days. One exception is the now discontinued Spire point Nosler in 25 caliber, that shot so well in my 257 Roberts!!!!!

regards
Mark

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Small Bore Rifles

I use Nosler Partition Bullets in all my hunting rifles. Good penaration and bullet weight retention, Good accuracy, Good Insurance, Less meat damage...............Joe............

1 - 20 of 26 Posts