Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum and need guidance. I have a Coston canon (barrel only) that I want to put into operation. The canon was used by the US Navy as a line throwing gun and has been in the family for well over 60 years. The Navy withdrew them from service in 1952. My father served 27 years in the Navy and acquired this along the way. His dream was to build a carriage and fire it every 4th of July. He died in 2008 at age 90 and never lived his dream. For the past 25 plus years the barrel has been stored in a barn but seems to be in reasonably good shape. I served 30 years in the US Army. My goal is to fire this canon as a memorial to my father before I get too old to do it. I have some experience with artillery. Most of the last 20 years of my service was in Field Artillery line units. Where do I start? Building a carriage seems like a logical place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Premium Member
You can start with a photo, it is very helpful and fun for the rest of us . 馃榿 Welcome to the board , hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Registered
photo would be great. As a starting point are you trying to restore it to its former look or looking the Mount it in a naval carriage, etc.?

Safety is a factor, especially for a 60 year old tube stored in a barn

lots of examples on the internet that you could use to come up with a plan

Natural material Metal Fashion accessory Engineering Auto part

Composite material Metal Auto part

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not intend to "restore" it. Just want to have it functional. Naval carriage would be appropriate for Dad's memory and I would think less expensive. But being a former Army artilleryman I would like like to see it on wheels. Will start searching internet for plans.

GCG

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have so many questions I may become a neusance. If so, please let me know. On another sight I read that: "The accepted standard for cannons is for the barrel chamber to be one-third of the outside diameter of the barrel." Is this correct? If so, how do I measure the interior of the barrel chamber" Is the chamber the same diameter as the bore on this piece? It is my understanding that some artillery barrels have an expanded chamber (larger than the bore). How do I determine this? There is so much I need to learn.

Premium Member
Most expanded breech ( larger than bore ) are breech loaders . The best carriage would of course be like the one it came with. But a 4 truck navel carriage would look very good also. With it being a professional made barrel, the type of steel will match the use of black powder and the weight of the projectile . The bore can be readily measured using various disks on the end of a rod the length of the bore .Much like go-no go gauges . Should make a very serviceable cannon.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
moose#53
Thank you again. I do believe this barrel is serviceable and capable of being fired. It is a smooth bore. Tomorrow I will measure the bore with an inside caliper as far as I can reach. Old factory specs I have read indicate a two and one half inch bore. Appears correct from my rough measurements. Many of the plans for a carriage I have found on the internet are for smaller scale models of cannons. Guess a person could enlarge them to the project at hand. Found a couple of companies that offer to build carriages but prices are $3,000 and up! No way I can manage that. Will post more images.
GCG

1 - 20 of 67 Posts