Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I don't think Chili is any different than hamburgers, ribs, Brats or baked beans. Every family, area, ethnicity has their favorite recipe. My Mom's chili had macaroni in it...I assumed it was originally put in to make the pot of soup go farther with our large family. 60 years later, to me, it's not real Chili unless it has some macaroni in it. Sorry Texans. It took my wife several years to get used to having macaroni in Chili and to this day will not put it in when she makes it. I always do. But she does make a mean White Chicken Chili and a really good Chili made with pulled pork. Still is Chili to me. She also makes burgers not only outta ground beef, but outta ground chicken and ground pork too. Still we put them on the grill with some cheese and mushrooms and call them Hamburgers. I make brats from beef, pork, venison and wild turkey, sometime a combination of two or more. Put 'em on a bun and they are all Brats.

Don't even get me started on the beans.........

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Attention Texans who insist on meat only in chili is required. I apologize. Here's why: it's not about beans. It's about how horrible chili can be if there's a bad recipe in play. Check out the linked recipe. Ugh. Imagine that. The Texas no-bean idea is about getting a good balance of meat and sauce and flavor and yum yum goodness. Very commendable. But look at that recipe and see what pure yuck we can get with a thoughtless approach.

http://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/2011/06/pizza-chili-slow-cooker-recipe.html

Then there are chilis of regional expedience, like this fish chili. Looks pretty good to me!

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/soup/chili/healthy-fish-chili.html

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob said:
Sounds like goulash to me.
That, in a nutshell, is my take on chili. Everybody has their own way of doing it.

I wanted to make some rogan josh recently because I have the right spices for it now, and I went out to youtube and watched a bunch of videos on how to make it. After watching many videos I was left wondering if there are two people on earth that make rogan josh in even approximately the same way. The techniques, ingredients, and approaches are all over the map. It seems like in the US there's a standard agreement on what rogan josh in restaurants is supposed to look like, and that's the only trace of uniformity I could find.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Regardless of how it's made, Chili is always at it's best about the third time you heat it up.........and yes, if you heated my mom's chili up enough times, it did turn into goulash.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
buck460XVR said:
Regardless of how it's made, Chili is always at it's best about the third time you heat it up.........and yes, if you heated my mom's chili up enough times, it did turn into goulash.
I agree. My basic recipe is:
1) Make the chili
2) Let it cool and put it in the fridge
3) Heat it up and eat it for dinner the next day and the day after.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I think with most foods, and especially foods like chili, soups, goulash, stews, etc, it all depends on what you were raised on. If you were raised eating chili with beans a bowl of it without beans is missing something. Likewise if you were raised on chili without beans then beans would be an ingredient it shouldn't have.

A friend of mine doesn't like biscuits - unimaginable to me! Doesn't even like biscuits and sausage gravy (other than that he's pretty normal)! But his family never ate biscuits when he was growing up.

In our house we never had Chinese and to this day Chinese food just doesn't excite me.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
You take some good homemade chili, or canned for that matter and any kind as long as its wolf brand. ;)

Boil up some elbow mac, then blend it with the chili, some cheese............................we call it chili mac. Fills a hole on a cold evening at the huntn camp!

I agree its all in your personal perspective. Around here when I make chili, I use lean Axis ground meat and chunky vegetables, like stewed tomatoes and onion chunks. The wife likes it with rice :-\ Crackers are what I find the best.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm that way with biscuits. I won't eat them. But I will tear into an English muffin anytime anyplace.

About your beans/no beans theory, I tend to agree. It probably explains why I don't like food with maggots in it. I just wasn't raised on food containing maggots, so they seem out of place whenever I do find them in a meal.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Conan said:
I'm that way with biscuits. I won't eat them. But I will tear into an English muffin anytime anyplace.

About your beans/no beans theory, I tend to agree. It probably explains why I don't like food with maggots in it. I just wasn't raised on food containing maggots, so they seem out of place whenever I do find them in a meal.
Hard to believe you eat some of the stuff you post on here and won't eat a biscuit. ;D

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
:-X :-X :-X

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
Conan said:
Attention Texans who insist on meat only in chili is required. I apologize. Here's why: it's not about beans. It's about how horrible chili can be if there's a bad recipe in play. Check out the linked recipe. Ugh. Imagine that. The Texas no-bean idea is about getting a good balance of meat and sauce and flavor and yum yum goodness. Very commendable. But look at that recipe and see what pure yuck we can get with a thoughtless approach.

http://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/2011/06/pizza-chili-slow-cooker-recipe.html

Then there are chilis of regional expedience, like this fish chili. Looks pretty good to me!

Gag.

This country is going to **** in a hand-basket.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Bob said:
Conan said:
. . . . like this fish chili. Looks pretty good to me!
^ :p :p ^

Gag.

This country is going to **** in a hand-basket.
^ ^ :D ^ ^

if some didn't know, the chili we know in this country came into
being not far from this well known building to the left. old women
came up with the recipe to be able to make use of the old stringy
cuts of longhorn beef that might not be too awful fresh, hence the
spices. (same reason for early exploration of this country- to find
spice to cover rank meat about to be blue - that and gold)
chili as we know it was spread from there through cattlemen and
traders.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.