Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking through the many posts on this forum, all of the forums here. I see but a few personal notes saying "NRA member". With a national census of, how many billion?, why do we have fewer than 6 million members in the only national organazation that trys to stand up for OUR rights, meaning all of our gun rights, member and non-members? This is something that's not only here but in the community that I live in. Many people claim to be true gun enthusiasts, yet refuse to join in the fight to help preserve this right! And please save the excuses I've heard all the reasons for not being a member. I would like to think that the ones not listed as members here have just forgotten to put their membership on their signature. For the ones who don't belong, shame on you for helping the anti- gunners "United we stand, devided we fall".

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think, (I hope) that most of the guys on here are members of the NRA.
I have been a life member for over 20 years and a regular member long before that. My Dad and one son are life members also. My Mom, my wife, my brother, and his wife are also members. My buddies are members or they get bugged about it by me. I suppose I should put a "tag" on my quote line. I'll do that.

I know some guys get upset with all the mail they get asking for money.

I tell them the NRA does that because it works for them. Soliciting brings in much more than it costs to send out that stuff. And the NRA needs more money than our dues provide. If people don't want to send any more money in, then just throw the letters in the waste basket and don't worry about it.

Hud
"I AM THE NRA"............Life Member

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hud

If you don't want the junk mail, just call the 800 # and tell them to stop it. If all the people that claim to be gunners would join the NRA they would have plenty of money to stop the anti's cold with just the dues money. Too few carrying too many!

·
Registered
470 Posts
NRA

There might be a big flood to join when they come knocking at your door for your guns. By then it will to late. If you are afraid to join and be on a list somewhere send in a donation. If NRA wasn't working then why is the media bashing them all the time.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Current population of the U.S. is about 265 million.
We have six million NRA members.
That's roughly 1 in 43 Americans that's a member of the NRA.
Not bad, overall, but could be a whole lot better considering the number of gun owners out there.
I would guess that there are about 60 million gun owners in America, that's counting the person who has Grandad's old .22 or .30-30 in the closet, unfired for years.
Now, that's 1 in 6 Americans having some type of firearm in their home. That's probably a low guess too, since most families out West have at least a .22 in the closet, or a hand-me-down protection pistol or war souvenir. But I'm adjusting my guess for the East Coast, where firearm ownership is not as prevalent.
The NRA isn't attractive to many people because of (1) Anti-NRA propaganda by the media and Hollywood and (2) It refuses to take a "moderate" stance on the Second Amendment.
My response to friends who refuse to join the NRA, or hate it outright, is, "How much compromise would you accept on the First Amendment? Why are you so eager to give away the 2nd Amendment?"
And when they cite the tired, old argument of "The Second Amendment was written when flintlocks were the norm," I reply with, "And the First Amendment was written before radio, internet, television, telephones, high-speed printing and satellite communication."
They think the analogy is ridiculous, of course, and tell me that the media doesn't kill thousands of people every day.
Oh? It doesn't? William Randolph Hearst pushed us into a war with Spain in 1898, through his newspapers.
The slanted anti-war coverage of the 1960s gave comfort to the enemy, and convinced him he could win while at the same time limiting our strategy, thus prolonging the VietNam War.
Even today, the selfishness of the anti-war movement (not with MY son or daughter, you don't!) will likely ensure that Saddam Hussein and North Korea not only possess, but use, nuclear weapons.
The media is giving great coverage to the anti-war movement against a war in Iraq, painting these disillusioned, selfish, naive, unrealistic lunatics as people of peace and conscience.
History has shown that Peace at any cost results in War at great cost.
I'm a Life Member of the NRA and a former journalist (12 years on newspapering).
You're right, we need more NRA members but it will take a lot of convincing to get the middle-of-the-roaders.

·
Registered
461 Posts
NRA

You people must be speaking of the "OLD" NRA. I'm afraid the NEW and present NRA is like Jim and Tammy Faye's PTL Club. It is a business and ranks right up (or down) there with NASCAR and WCW Wrestling.

Here in North Carolina we have an organization called GRNC (Grass Roots North Carolina) that has done more for the people's gun rights than NRA has done since LaPierre took over. But if the NRA is the only organization you have in your area, go for it.....anything is better than nothing.

Loader 3009

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I notice that neither of the last two replys didn't mention a membership in the NRA. Too bad we need more people not excusses. I swear, sometimes I think Sara Brady is on the forums with us, guess I'll never know for sure. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the anti's have paided people to be here with us and spread disconcent. All I can say is put your money where your mouth is, Join. In my opinion, your're either a member or your just blowing smoke.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
I am sorry to say I am no longer a member because I have seen what my dues have done for the people of MD. NOTHING!

while the NRA is asking for money and playing around Washington DC states like Maryland and California are passing laws that restrict gun ownership and the NRA is doing nothing to stop this.
What good is them fighting in Washington while the states are just passing laws on a state level that end our rights to buy guns.

The NRA ran a few TV ads during the elections but not the rest of the time, they are doing nothing to get out the truth to nongun owners. If they can run ads during the elections then they can and SHOULD run them trough out the year!

If the NRA wants the suport of gun owners the nra need to start doing what they say and fight for our rights even on a state leveal

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rickyp

As long as we choose to devide ourselves, the anti's will win. I have never seen any of the wealthy sponsors of the anti's pull their support. I'm sorry yu have chosen to back out of what you say you believe in, but real gun people won't let our support go for nothing. Until we win or you get your way, we'll have to carry your load along with ours. Keep deviding, it makes it easier to spot when they want your guns. Hope this get you what you want, i.e. a better job, points with your anti gun boss, a respected place in your local community. Ever consider working for HCI? Never did anything for You, how about the guns you now own? I'll personally put you on the "pay you no attention" list.

·
Administrator
26,191 Posts
Re: NRA

Loader 3009 said:
You people must be speaking of the "OLD" NRA. I'm afraid the NEW and present NRA is like Jim and Tammy Faye's PTL Club. It is a business and ranks right up (or down) there with NASCAR and WCW Wrestling.

Loader 3009
Boy did you head that one right on the head.

YES for those who just MUST KNOW I have been a life member longer than most who post here have been on earth. NO I'm NOT proud of that at this point in time.

Wayne LaPierre and his lacky Heston have ruined the NRA. It is no friend of gun owners and those who think it is need to wake up and see what's REALLY happening.

LaPierre agree to accept ON YOUR BEHALF as your respresentative (NOT MINE) every single antigun bill that has been passed since he took office. He and Klinton were best buddies in my opinion. They knew that by knocking each other publicly both could gain with their respective supporters but when it came right down to decision time LaPierre let it be known he wouldn't oppose the bills and no effort would be made by the NRA to remind voters come election time of who voted for them. And they didn't remind folks either.

They just take the money that should be going to folks who REALLY SUPPORT THE US CONSTITUTION[/color] which they don't. They refuse to listen to the voices of members and have one and only one thing in mind now and that is to take in money so the pockets of the leaders who head it up can become richer.

Nope you talk them up all you want while they help you lose what Constitutional rights you have left.

Me I'll keep trying to warn folks not open minded enough to listen that you are feeding the enemy and don't even realize it.

GB

·
Registered
461 Posts
NRA

High Fives, GB.

The Master has spoken. Any questions, little Grasshoppers?

Loader (Former NRA Member) 3009

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
G.B. I've been a lifer since 1973. I too, don't agree with the way the powers that be are doing. But, I do vote in the NRA elections and not for the current powers. I'm all for changing the way things are done in the Washington office, and changing the people that have down graded a great organazation.
What office would you like to run for, next election? As for former member Loader 3009, I am still a member. Don't see any progress in quiting what I believe in or changing sides. Seems like I can remeber a quote, "These are the times that try mens souls, The sunshine patriot and the summer soldier, will surely shrink from the service of their country, in these times".

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yea, this little grasshopper has got a question. Or rather a statement.
Loader 3009, your gloating kinda makes your view seem a little hollow.

So anyway Graybeard, I do put a lot of stock in what you think. I don't say that lightly. Would you elaborate on your views a little bit more? I am certainly not apposed to changing my mind when shown the light. (I have quit the Republican party and joined the Constitutional Party.)

Hear is my thoughts;
I haven't agreed with everything the NRA has done, or any other gun organization for that matter. And if I only backed organizations that I completely agreed with, I wouldn't be backing any. I think that, for the most part, the NRA has fought back rather well and have put some good pro gunners in office. I think we would be a whole lot worse off with out the NRA. I can look about 150 miles north of me to see that.

I can't think of any new gun laws that the NRA has backed up. There have been laws like the Brady bill that passed but the NRA certainly fought against it.

Also Friends of the NRA has done a lot to gather money to give to the local gun clubs around here in the state of Minnesota. The NRA also did a lot to get our new Gov. in office and now for the first time we have a chance to get a new concealed carry law passed here in the state.

The Old NRA I remember back in the 60's when I was a kid was just a small group of "holyer than thou types" that didn't even have the guts to back any cantidates. To me, they just seemed to be a bunch of "good ole boys" back then. When Harlin B Carter came along they seemed to have aquired a little courage.

Hud
"I AM THE NRA"..........lifemember

·
Registered
461 Posts
NRA

Well, S.B., I first joined the NRA back in 1957. It was a good organization then. I, like you, have watched it disintegrate under bad leadership. I tried to vote them out but they used my dues to further entrench themselves. So, I cut off their money......the same way I have cut off money to S&W and Ruger. You see, S.B., I have something called ethics and these ethics sometimes won't let me sleep at night. A personality flaw?...maybe.....or maybe not. I am not going to, as GB says "feed the enemy". And COMPROMIZE is not in my vocabulary....****, I can't even spell it.

These organization and business heads are like politicians and when they see the winds a changin' they will likewise change or be changed. This is why I withold my support. There will an NRA as long as there is a USA. I just wish you would join with us in applying pressure to bring this change about.

Call your next case.

Loader 3009

·
Administrator
26,191 Posts
Hud, it all started shortly after LaPierre was given free rein to run the NRA.

That position he holds is the single most powerful in the organization. He determines basically on his own just about every financial and business decision the NRA makes. He is answerable ONLY to the Board of Directors who hired him and can "almost" fire him. I say almost because the President can over ride the decision of the Board to fire him. How do I know that? Well it has already happened ONCE that's how.

Once about 5-6 years ago, maybe a few more, Marion Hammer was the President. She got there on the clout of LaPierre and was therefore somewhat beholden to him. Add to that the fact that LaPierre donated $100,000 of OUR money to a club in FL each year she was President. Each year that club gave her the exact same sum of money for no reason apparent on the surface. In effect she was being paid a salary of $100,000 per year to be President of the NRA. The By-Laws say the President CANNOT accept a single red cent for serving as President.

So we had a good slate of Directors in those days. They saw what was going on. They didn't like it. They voted to fire LaPierre and Hammer vetoed their action. LaPierre is still with us. He signed a deal with Tony somethng or other, never can remember his last name, but the guy who used to be on Saturday morning on a show called Under Wild Skies I think it was. Tony's company did the soliciting for money for the NRA. I think but am not sure he still does. This contrat was given to LaPierre's friend without a competitive bid. They were paid to "attempt" to get money NOT based on results. Ever wonder why you get 20 letters and another 15 phone calls a year for money? Because every letter and every phone call is a profit to Tony whether the NRA gets moeny or not they pay. I'd like to think this has now ended but haven't gotten any word on it lately. My information souce is Neal Knox. Check his website. He is the man who led the Cincinatti reform that turned the NRA around once and got us folks that were interested in running the NRA right and got the NRA involved in politics rather than just teaching folks to shoot and hunter safety.

Now after the firing of LaPierre by the Board and the over turn of that by Hammer some more shenanigans began. LaPierre and cronies placed a full page ad in all the NRA magazines naming every single board member up for reelection that voted to can Lapierre. This was done at NRA expense not from their private funds and in their official capacities as officers of the NRA. This was strictly in violation of the By Laws. It was challenged but the damage was done. Because of that single act most of those folks were defeated. I continued and continues to this day. Each election that group puts a big ad in telling you who to vote for and who NOT to vote for. Well most of the sheep who are voting members and won't think for themselves and won't dig and investigate WHY they are doing that just do as told and vote the party slate.

So now the NRA is completely controlled by LaPierre. He has his hand picked lacky as President and his hand picked Board of Directors who will not challenge one single thing he does.

Now on the subject of what the NRA supports and doesn't. They supported the Brady Bill. Not publicly of course. Not so members would know it. Nope. Was behind closed doors in the offices of Congressmen and Senators whom they said well yeah we can live with that and will not fight it or try to get you defeated in the next election if you do that.

Do I have hard evidence of this? Nope sorry. I got my info from other NRA insiders who are for the most part now outsiders because they didn't go along with this crap. Neal Knox is the most vocal of them and has a web site under his name. I lists several others who are also good sources of info.

All I'm saying is don't assume everything the NRA tells you is true. Don't assume all they do is in your best interest. Investigate. Dig deep and learn the truth. It will shock you and piss you off big time. It did me.

GB

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fixing the NRA

Well G.B. why don't you start a forum to inform and educate the membership of the NRA? You do control this site, don't you? No flame intended. Seriously, what stops you? I can't think of a better place to start. Get the gavel and the pulpit out and get things going. Or would you really rather have things the way they are? You the man. But, as for loader 3009, he can't even vote! He left the rest of the thinking American sportsmen and sportswomen to handle a job, undone, without even making a ripple in the stream of corruption.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Hope this get you what you want, i.e. a better job, points with your anti gun boss, a respected place in your local community. Ever consider working for HCI? Never did anything for You, how about the guns you now own? I'll personally put you on the "pay you no attention" list.
I may not give money to the Not for gun owners Rights Anymore
But I do what I can. I am always on the phone calling Maryland's reps. and writhing letters to them. I even do the same to the govoner of Maryland. I always sent the letter or conversation with "I am an American gun owner and I vote" If every gun owner did the same as I do we would get the point out.

Send money to them if you want but by all means make phone calls and send letters

·
Registered
198 Posts
NRA

GB,
Millions of members probably are not all wrong! Remember, the strength is in numbers. Remember, divided, we FALL!

Are we to believe statements, unsupported by hard evidence? Three of your paragraphs were so written. Also, to make derogatory claims, without evidence, sometimes may result in slander; be careful!

As to voting members being sheep; not so, for I am a very capable thinker and digger!

·
Registered
461 Posts
NRA Members

I once asked a local alcoholic why he didn't quit drinking. He said that after a lifetime of drunkeness that he had too much invested to quit. Not much of an argument... but an argument, still.

Loader 3009

1 - 20 of 30 Posts