Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7,627 Posts
BB -

Excellent picture. Now we get into the finer art of exterior ballistics.

The French, at the turn of the century, found that degrees were not a fine enough division and going from degrees-minutes-seconds was a pain. So they used MILS of which there are 6400 in a complete circle. With about 17.4 per degree (if I remember right) it gives an adequate finenes of accuracy.

So with graduated charges, ability to measure elevation (or have it fixed) and calibrated azimuth of the tube one could set up and hit right much close in the very first few rounds out of the tube.

Thanks for posting the picture, but I wish you'd waited until AFTER the golf-ball mortar competition was over!

· Registered
7,627 Posts
DD -

Any help on this one? It worked, now it's broken. (Posted w/gb I think).
I've not posted any with GB, it may just be down for a period of time & will return when it's fixed. If not we'll figure a better way to get up up.

· Registered
7,627 Posts
Double D said:
I think the pivot point is where the pointer attaches to the rear of the bed. That would work.
I'd put my 25c on the pivot point being much further forward - look at the shallowness of the arc of the scale and the curved scratches. But as you say, any place along the axis of the bore would work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.