Graybeard Outdoors banner

Numerous types sighting devices

1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  double d 
#1 ·
This was one of the many types of mortar sighting devices that I have seen. Of course the mortar bed is at the top half of the picture and the black pointer will show the degrees of windage. Wish I had gotten much closer so the figures could be easily read. Also, sorry about the old red rag being in the picture.. Wasn't my gun so I thought better not be monkeying around with it. Blaster (Bob in So. CO)
[/url]

See less See more
#2 ·
BB -

Excellent picture. Now we get into the finer art of exterior ballistics.

The French, at the turn of the century, found that degrees were not a fine enough division and going from degrees-minutes-seconds was a pain. So they used MILS of which there are 6400 in a complete circle. With about 17.4 per degree (if I remember right) it gives an adequate finenes of accuracy.

So with graduated charges, ability to measure elevation (or have it fixed) and calibrated azimuth of the tube one could set up and hit right much close in the very first few rounds out of the tube.

Thanks for posting the picture, but I wish you'd waited until AFTER the golf-ball mortar competition was over!

#3 ·
Yeah right CW. Had you told me, I'd have held up on posting until AFTER the contest was over. Oh well!! Hey, what the heck happened to the picture. I posted it, then merely called up my post again to make certain all was well and now all I get is a red X in lieu of the picture. And if I right click on the red X and then select "show picture" I get nothing. Can't imagine what I could have done? Here I thought that I had finally got the "hang" of posting pictures.... Now, I have lost confidence, AGAIN!
Blaster "The Dunce". :oops:

#4 ·
DD -

Any help on this one? It worked, now it's broken. (Posted w/gb I think).
I've not posted any with GB, it may just be down for a period of time & will return when it's fixed. If not we'll figure a better way to get up up.

#7 ·
Very clever indeed.

I wonder what they are using as the center of the arc or the pivot point? Is it the prolongation of the center line of the bore to the sighting plate or is it center of the bed of the mortar or the center of the front the bed of the mortar?.

Three different locations but as long as one is used, I guess the correction is constant.

#8 ·
DD, I have to apologize for the poor angle of the picture. I'm always in a rush when it comes to photography. System was mounted on two (2) large circular wooden disks. I believe the bottom piece of sheet metal was fixed. The sheet metal with the graduations moved along with that black pointer. However, the large black pin at the right of the picture seems to hold the two sheet metal pieces in place. Also appears the gun was pivoting on the wooden disk at the front of the arrangement. ?? As indicated above, wish I'd have taken more time to really check it out. Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

#10 ·
Double D said:
I think the pivot point is where the pointer attaches to the rear of the bed. That would work.
I'd put my 25c on the pivot point being much further forward - look at the shallowness of the arc of the scale and the curved scratches. But as you say, any place along the axis of the bore would work.

#12 ·
Tim and I saw all kinds of strings and posts and plumbbobs, and not just a few thumbs and eyeballs being use at Ft Shenadoah to aim mortars.

Shooting mortars is fun. Shooting mortart at a target of some kind is even more fun, particularly when you are shooting against someone else. Shooting at the post as they do at Ft. shenandoad would real gun.

But this, this has got my attention!

For this you need some serious aiming skills.

Bob how did those guys do shooting at that circle?

(Topic drift on photo hosting split off into its own topic.)

#13 ·
OK DD, first you tell me how you got that picture. That was the Casper Shoot and that BB mortar target, inside the target rings, is an "out house" also known as a "crapper" or "shitter", (oops, that was edited but sounds kinda like hitter but with an Sh) apparently put there a couple years ago. Since then, each Mortar shooter puts $10 bucks in the pot, which covers the entire duration of the shoot and the first guy to hit/demolish the out house with his bowling ball gets the entire pot. If I remember correctly, the pot was up to well over $300 and unless someone hit it on Sunday (I departed for home on Saturday), the pot has probably remained intact. I believe some were hitting within 10 or 20 yards of the bullseye which is a L O N G distance shot. Thanks for posting that picture. Brings back a very pleasant memory. Blaster (Bob in So. CO) :grin:

#14 ·
OK DD, I'm still waiting to hear where you got that aerial photo of the Casper WY shoot from almost two weeks ago. Don't tell me that you were so curious about the Mortar Cannon Shoot that you chartered a flight just for a flyover/photo shoot?? :wink:
Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.