Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When hunting small game with the springer can you cock, load and carry the rifle or does keeping the spring cocked weaken the spring as I've been told?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I don't know about the spring, but if I'm hunting, I'm carrying it loaded.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have heard that it is bad also but I wouldn't take it to that extreme. I just wouldn't leave it cocked for an extended amount of time, like a few days... When hunting with mine I leave it cocked for up to a few hours with no problems.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I know I'm askin for trouble when I do this, but I open the action to a half cock, load a pellet, and then close it again. Then when I have a target, I just have to cock and shoot. No beartrap mechanism on mine.

Ian

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haywire Haywood said:
I know I'm askin for trouble when I do this, but I open the action to a half cock, load a pellet, and then close it again. Then when I have a target, I just have to cock and shoot. No beartrap mechanism on mine.
Ian: Your probably smart doing that as I've read on another forum that is the PREFERED way to hunt with a springer.
With my RWS sidecockers it is easy to open the "breeh" an inch er so, insert a pellet, then cock the thing when ready.
I was just curious if leaving it cocked for a couple hours woud weaken it. :grin:

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Unlike gas PCP, ram, pump or CO2 guns a springer can take what is called a "set"(spring gets weakened because of being compressed to long). It's not a good idea to leave them cocked over night but between shots while hunting I wouldn't worry about it. That is the great thing about pellet guns, you always find something to shoot at before very long. Lawdog
:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts