Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had two odd shots with my 480Ruger this year. Neather had to do with it being a 480, but that is what I was using at the times they happened.

First instance was shooting a pop can against a dirt backstop. The jacketed 325 grain hollow point entered the popcan then hit the side of the can resting againts the dirt. It then ricocheted inside the can, but instead of exiting the can, it took the can with it. The can flew at a high rate of speed 20 yds or so away from us. When I picked up the can the bullet was still in it in nearly perfect shape.

The second instance was today. I was testing some 380gr cast lead handloads that I would estimate at 1200 fps. I stood up a piece of 2" thick styrofoam about 12" in front of a basswood stump out in my front yard. I stood back and fired five shots at about 25 yards. Made a nice 5 hole group just over two inches. Anyway when I picked up the styrofoam I discovered a bullet lodged sidways in the back of the styrofoam. It must have bounced off the frozen stump (it is well below zero out) and stuck back into the styrofoam. The other four bullets had penetrated into the stump. This bullet was in perfect shape except for the land & groove marks on it.

Hud

·
Registered
24 Posts
odd shots

Funny post Hud. If ya shoot enough you'll observe some strange things. Try standing with binoculars behind someone while there shooting a cap + ball pistol. If there shooting past 50yrds quite often you'll see a ball go nice and straight than bout 75-80yrds out that ball will just go and hook left, right, or dive straight down! Most go straight, but 1 or 2 outta 6 go goofy.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Odd things happen

Hay 445: I've seen the same thing with shotgun slugs. I was amazed. They hooked wickedly to the right and up to the point where they completely missed the berm at 100 yds (and that's bigger than the side of a barn). Mikey.

·
Registered
38 Posts
.20 gage

I have a 20 gage that shoots shot well enough but won't shoot a slug well at all. can't seem to hit the side of a barn from the inside with the doors and windows shut. bout the only thing it will hit is the water if you were to fall out of the boat hanging on with a death grip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good observation Mikey,only reason i saw these balls doing this was i taped a paper plate to a car hood set up at bout 100yrds,just to see how close we could come with our cap+ball revolvers..lol.Well after a couple of hits my bro missed the whole hood so i watched with binocs and could hardly believe what was happening! Now i have good excuse whenever i miss can at 50yrds!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts