Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
kombi1976........

kombi1976.... While reloading will come later, right now Thompson is having Hornady load their round with their 120 gr. Powerbelt bullets (see Thompson's 2005 catalog). My dealer has Jerry's (distributor) newest flyer, and it shows that they have Hornady's loaded ammo in stock (115 gr. bullet). Latest from Remington is that they will start distributing their ammo, as soon as they have satisfied the Government's first order.
So it looks like the ammo is available, with more coming. Joe

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Out of interest, how much is a T/C carbine and how much are extra barrels for the carbines?
I'd love to get one and the idea of being able to buy extra barrels for it also good.
Since I'm excluded from NEF/H&R's barrel program here in Oz it kinda takes half the reason away for buying one.
But I do find the 6.8 SPC intriguing.
With Noslers or Barnes bullets it could be a really amazing cartridge and Thompson's Powerbelts also sound good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know I am in a small minority, but the 6.8 would be THE caliber for those of us who donot reload. The only thing keeping me from having a custom barrel made, is the availability of ammo. To me, it would be the ideal whitetail cartridge.

·
Registered
137 Posts
luredaddy and kombi1976......

luredaddy... Are thinking about a rifle barrel, or pistol barrel in 6.8 SPC? T/C has the rifle barrel in 23". I honestly can't remember if a barrel is being offered in pistol length. You can see what the latest offerings are by going to www.tcarms.com/
From that site you can also checkout TC's custom shop (Fox Ridge Outfitters).
kombi1976..(see above) The TC site will give you List Prices. I've found the following site to be the cheapest TC prices around.
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
Happy Hunting. Joe

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
kombi1976 said:
If good rifle companies(and this is just my opinion keep in mind[/color]) are silly enough to chamber the 7.62x39 in bolt guns the 6.8 SPC is a more sensible proposition by far.
Kombi, I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 and it is not silly at all. I grant you that the 6.8 SPC will be even better, but the 7.62x39 in a bolt gun makes a really light accurate 30-30. It's plenty of gun for anything up to 150 pounds out to 150 yards. I might stretch that to 200 yards on smaller than 50 pounds or ideal circumstances.

Might not suit your hunting circumstances at all, but there are people and places for which it's a fine choice. The 6.8 SPC in that cartridge may be even better, but it's not available yet.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
dj, I'm not denying the 7.62x39 works for people but I reckon a 30-30 bolt gun would be a better bet.
In fact in many ways the obsession of the shooting public with 30-30 leverguns has limited the full ballistic capabilities of that round.
I'd imagine you're sticking to 125gn rounds, right?
Do you hand load?
If so what are you using and what sort of velocities are you getting out of the '39?
Also, what do you hunt with it?
BTW, do you use 308 or 311 cal bullets?

I forgot to ask, is anyone making 6.8 SPC dies yet? If so, who?
Are Remington selling cases for it yet?
What size case holder does the 30 Rem. and subsequently the 6.8mm use for a press?
And can it fit in an action designed for a .223?
Just wasn't clear on these points.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't recall the model # of the CZ rifle. I saw it in one of the gun rags last month. I realize that there is sometimes a long lag time between articles and when the gunk is actually available. I'm STILL waiting to see a real Ruger Gold Label side by side.

I really don't see where the 6.8 is necessary at all in a bolt action. Allmost any cartridge known to man can be had in a bolt action rifle. Where the 6.8 WILL shine and fill a definite niche is in Contenders and AR-15s. I have been looking for a 300yd capable deer cartridge for a Contender carbine. I thought about the .30-30AI but I don't want to reload for something I won't shoot alot of rounds through. Plus, I don't think it is quite capable of 300 yds. I thought about a custom barrel in 300 Savage or .30-40 Krag but then you run into more cost, and if something goes wrong with your frame, you have some potential warranty problems. Now I can have a Contender carbine capable of making a 300 yd shot with a factory barrel (not even a T/C custom shop) with ammo I can buy at my local gunshop. We never had that option before.

The same thing could be said about the ARs but I am more excited about the Contenders. Can you tell?
I like the 27 cal very much and love target shooting but it's too expensive and too much recoil to shoot 270 winchester. 7waters in contender is a great shooter but it's not as efficient as the 6.8spc for target shooting and it does seem to have some really good ballistics. I think I would choose the 7 waters over the 6.8 for deer but for things like varmint and hogs it should be ideal. Good shooting!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Why would you anyone need a Contender carbine barrel in this cartridge when a tried and true 30/30Win will kill deer and other game easily?

·
22,757 Posts
i feel sorry for those who feel a whole new niche has to exist to justify buying a new gun in a new caliber. Fact is that cartridge development could have stopped at the 06 . Ive got 6.5 grendels 300 bo 300 hamr 50 beos and a few others. Part of the enjoyment of my hobby is getting a new caliber and trying it out on deer. Handloading for it to get the best possible accuracy and even getting cast bullet loads to work in it. Fact is the 6.8 is a fine round. its a low recoil round that fits in short actions and ar15s thats accurate and an effective 250 yard deer round. Whats not to like. Will it make a 243 obsolete? I dont know. I would have never thought the 243 would make the 6mm, 250 sav 257 roberts all obsolete but it did. Me? Id love a ruger american or any inexpensive bolt rifle chambered in 300 ham'r to play with.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts