Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent happenings in the news, I've thought a lot more about security in the work place. Not that I haven't considered it before, but these kinds of events tend to bring it to the forefront in your mind. Where I work, handguns and knives are not allowed. I keep one in my truck but that doesn't do much good if someone comes down the hall spraying. I've been pondering, what would I do if I'm sitting at my desk and I hear someone come in the door shouting and firing? I'm a little ways down the hall so I would have a "little" time to react to the screams of my co-workers closer to the front. How would you react? Would you stay in your office? Would you go to the hall? What would your plan be? What "weapons" would be at your disposal? I keep spiked brass knuckles in my briefcase but how do you get close enough to a gunmen for that?

Just wanted to see what kind of discussion this would lead to. I'm sure I'm not the only one working in a "no guns" office, thinking these types of things. To make things worse, my building is the only off-campus building in our hospital complex that does not stay locked down with key card only access. Further, security for the hospital is based on the main campus. While they do keep someone in a vehicle making rounds to all off-campus buildings 24/7, there is still a response time that is insufficient for my needs.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
You can get a small lockable case that's designed for a handgun. Put that inside your briefcase,leave the briefcase unlocked. It's slower to get at than a concealed holster, but you have something. If it's inside your case it's not really noticable to some one who glances over while you happen to be getting some work out of your case. You are really unlikely to be caught carrying that way. I used to put one in my lunchbox, no one ever noticed or asked. I got mine from a local gun shop for about $30 IIRC. The other option being a very small gun in a pocket holster or 'thunderwear' type inside the pants rig. That's more likely to fall out in the bathroom, costing you your job. The box in the briefcase also allows for a full sized gun you could really use.

BTW, if your company won't allow a knife,the knucks are likely a dismissable offense too. Most anti weapon policies are vague enough to allow them to can you for something like that. If you want to keep an impact weapon in your briefcase make it a hammer, or substitute a screwdriver for a knife. Tools like that work, and you can get away with it because "...I was fixing ....and I just stuck it in my briefcase last night...forgot it was there" A screwdriver isn't a weapon, untill it is.

My opinion is that it's better to discreatly violate the company poilcy than to be completely at the mercy of a sometimes merciless world.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
My employer doesn't allow firearms even on their property. So that means not even one in your vehicle. If caught with a firearm it means termination. I often wondered if someone did get caught with a firearm, if they could fight it and win. I don't know how these companies get away with barring a constitutional right. It seams that there are many big companies that don't allow firearms on their property. Many companies now do in-depth back round checks on employees before they are hired. So why not let them carry? At least let them have a firearm in their car.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
DDZ said:
My employer doesn't allow firearms even on their property. So that means not even one in your vehicle. If caught with a firearm it means termination. I often wondered if someone did get caught with a firearm, if they could fight it and win. I don't know how these companies get away with barring a constitutional right. It seams that there are many big companies that don't allow firearms on their property. Many companies now do in-depth back round checks on employees before they are hired. So why not let them carry? At least let them have a firearm in their car.
Unfortunately, the employer would be liable for anything you or someone else might do with a weapon. Employers are so afraid of liablility issues right now, that they won't allow much of anything. They certainly have the right to not allow weapons on their property..the constitution is designed to protect us from government only. The government is "supposed" to be curtailed by it. An employer however, has a legal right to require many things the state cannot. Some of these have been tested over the years, and the laws modified to restrict employers to some extent...for example they may not legally discriminate because of age...but no one has "tested" the firearm restrictions yet, and given the current state of our society, its unlikely it would succeed.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
How about pepper spray in your desk drawer or briefcase?

Can you decorate your office? If so maybe you're a baseball fan - make up a small display with baseball and BAT, maybe a team picture. All innocently displayed on a small shelf.

A lot of things can be used as improvised weapons. Trick is to find something that fits in with you and your office and won't raise suspicions of co-workers or boss.

·
Registered
952 Posts
How about an ankle holster? Or if you don't want to jeapordize your job than a fire extinguisher makes a fine close range weapon that no one would question. It's a tough call. I guess it comes down to how much you're willing to try to get away with.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
If i could not find a job that allows me to carry then i would look for all escape routes . Look for hiding places etc , they must have hard cover etc.
An office free standing coat rack might be a weapon . Some book ends , a credit card will slice nicely , The CIA letter opener comes to mind - its a plastic resin reenforced type letter opener that would weigh little and fit in a brief case, sock etc . A lock on your door woud be a nice touch . People who attack like this often shoot and move on or stay in one place and shoot all they see . Point is try not to be seen . Call police is a great idea as it will limit his time unmolested at the very least.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
In most states the brass knucks would get you a harder sentence than a firearm. I have seen them sold at gun shows as paper weights, but in Texas they are still looked upon as a weapon and if concealed could lead to bad stuff.

This may be the place where a can of hornet and wasp spray would help..........

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
How many shootings do ya'll have in the emg room ? around here it happens more than you might think . I took self defense classes with Emg. room doctors who were taking the class for just that reason .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't personally heard about many shootings in the Emergency Room but we did have a man come in and shoot his wife in the elevator a couple of years ago.

I have checked with the hospitals Director of Security about off-campus weapons policies. They sent someone out to do a threat assessment on our building. The Director agrees with me that this building needs to be locked down like all the others but they won't lock it tight because the Procurement department is in my building and they have vendors come in all the time. Not a very good reason to me but that's what I'm being told.

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
If you do carry a weapon in your car onto company parking---for God's sake don't announce it.
I have had one in my company car for years---only I knew it was there. I was not there when it went in for repairs.
Keep it quiet.
I never had my car searched by anyone.
Discreation is the better part of valor.
I never carried one into the workplace.
I have carried a shotgun to work but that was OK.
Blessings

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
XD9: I would worry less about being fired than being dead. It doesn't help your widow or fatherless children to have to sit through a eulogy just because of a company policy.

I would much rather prefer to worry about having to look for another job if I ever had to defend myself in a work/office shooting situation than to find out I'm worrying about my widow.

William Layton laid it out the best way I can think of. Keep one where only you know it is and do not ever announce it. jmtcw.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mikey said:
XD9: I would worry less about being fired than being dead. It doesn't help your widow or fatherless children to have to sit through a eulogy just because of a company policy.
That's how I feel as well. NO ONE at work knows I keep one in my truck or knows that I have brass knuckles in my briefcase. I've thought about wearing an ankle rig because I'm never in areas with metal detectors. However, I would hate to lose my job if I ever went into one of these areas and was terminated for wearing one...not for defending myself.

I may start concealing one in my briefcase...it would be easy to do. I would never be dumb enough to tell anyone about it though. The fact that I carry is my business, no one elses.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
In FL they can't search your car if you have a permit.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
XD9 said:
Mikey said:
That's how I feel as well. NO ONE at work knows I keep one in my truck or knows that I have brass knuckles in my briefcase. I've thought about wearing an ankle rig because I'm never in areas with metal detectors. However, I would hate to lose my job if I ever went into one of these areas and was terminated for wearing one...not for defending myself.

I may start concealing one in my briefcase...it would be easy to do. I would never be dumb enough to tell anyone about it though. The fact that I carry is my business, no one elses.
There you go. The breifcase is your private property. Your boss isn't going in there for no reason. The ankle holster is certainly a quicker draw, but it's way more likely to be seen and get you fired, and a gun in the case is better than no gun. Look into the little locked cases I mentioned in my first post. I know I see them at gun shops. You may find one at Bass Pro or Dicks, I don't know. Any small case would keep unwanted eyes from identifying it. Maybe a camera case or a PDA case would work just as well for you.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jlwilliams said:
Any small case would keep unwanted eyes from identifying it. Maybe a camera case or a PDA case would work just as well for you.
I have a small zippered camera case that would work perfectly for this. No one would ever see it in my briefcase and, as stated above, if I ever had to use it, the last thing I'd be worried about is losing my job.

Of course, if anything ever happened like that in my building, I'd probably have a lawsuit if I wanted one since I've talked to the head of security on two occasions about making the building safer and nothing has been done. Not that I would press it, just mentioning it.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Don't know what type of weapon you want to hide, but I have a 22 derringer that fits tidily in a cell phone holster. Yep', I know it's not a man stopper, but it beats nothing. I drive into a lot of different businesses on a daily basis, and getting nabbed with a gun would be a no no. I can also drop this in my pocket an no one knows. If I have to use it, I would just have to try and get close enough to leave powder burns for it to have much effect.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.