Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just discovered some beef sticks, I ordered online before Christmas last year, opened in a the bottom of the junk bowl in the kitchen (a larger bowl where you throw junk, pens, envelopes, change, knick-knacks what ever has no real place to be) that was opened.
No mold, at least not big enough to see.
So I ate them.
Now my taste buds are mostly gone, nowadays, so I taste mainly sweet , sour and spicey with what normally would be called after-taste (sadly does not stop me from eating more than I really should, including a couple of dozen chocolate chip/ pecan cookies I baked),
Well first one, now I can still sense the off taste of moldy bread, etc. and I tasted a bit of off taste, so I trimmed the ends off which looked a bit too grey, and at the other six.
Not bad and I still could taste the slightly spicy heat.
I wonder if moldy food kill viruses.:tango_face_devil:
Due to how quickly Walmart bread molds, I have eaten a fair amount of slightly moldy bread this winter.

I figure if it does not hurt the squirrels that eat it, though if too moldy, even they let rot away, it isn't going to hurt me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I anit eatin it!!, you eat it !....... nah will get Bob to eat it

·
Registered
728 Posts
Penicillin was discovered as a mold IIRC

Sir Alexander Fleming, a Scottish researcher, is credited with the discovery of penicillin in 1928. At the time, Fleming was experimenting with the influenza virus in the Laboratory of the Inoculation Department at St. Mary’s Hospital in London. It all started with a mold that developed on a staphylococcus culture plate. Since then, the discovery of penicillin changed the course of medicine and has enabled physicians to treat formerly severe and life-threatening illnesses such as bacterial endocarditis, meningitis, pneumococcal pneumonia, gonorrhea and syphilis.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Penicillin was discovered as a mold IIRC

Sir Alexander Fleming, a Scottish researcher, is credited with the discovery of penicillin in 1928. At the time, Fleming was experimenting with the influenza virus in the Laboratory of the Inoculation Department at St. Mary’s Hospital in London. It all started with a mold that developed on a staphylococcus culture plate. Since then, the discovery of penicillin changed the course of medicine and has enabled physicians to treat formerly severe and life-threatening illnesses such as bacterial endocarditis, meningitis, pneumococcal pneumonia, gonorrhea and syphilis.

Really? I would never have guessed.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Bob is like the Superman of food! He probably could eat a poison ivy leaf salad with no ill effects!!!

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
All I have to say is. I’ve learned my lesson. I think...

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
A few times I’ve eaten something that was questionable. I do 2 things when this happens. First I claim Gods promise that if I eat any deadly thing it will no hurt me. Second I mix up a big glass of water and baking soda, and drink it.

So far it’s always worked.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
All I have to say is don’t eat really old chicken. Don’t ask me how I know...

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the other half baked a home made pizza a couple of days ago.
Now I do not like her pizzas because she only half bakes the dough.

I tried it and told her the crust was not done enough, for me; then I noticed and genuine bitter taste.
I peeled the toppings, a LOT of them , off of the crust and that was good.
She said the crust was bad also so I asked her how old the pre-bagged crust was. She dug the bag out of the garbage and it was 15 years old.
Gave me heart burn and cleaned my bowels out.
Time to go throught cupboard and store-room again.
Some things just do not age well; I tossed a can of canned apples last week. The shelf was always getting sticky but I could see not hole in the can but as it was always in the sticky spot tossed it.
Now it was only a little over 10 years which is not that old for canned food.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If your stomach is upset, you'll vomit. If your intestines are upset, you'll be racing for the porcelain. If what you've eaten makes one or the other sick, rest assured that God and American Standard has provided a remedy...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts