Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who knows me knows the majority of my hunting efforts go into chasing bears in Massachusetts and Vermont in September. I love bear hunting in September. The weather is warm, there aren't a lot of hunters in the woods, and you see a lot of game, deer, moose, turkeys, and bears. I have seen and killed a lot of bears. Several with the rifle, a couple with my Colt Anaconda and one with the bow. I've kind of gotten to the point of where I'd like to try something different. You can only kill so many bears at 30 yards and under with a rifle before it looses its appeal. The bow is out. A shoulder injury and open heart surgery leaves me unable to shoot a bow very well. I thought I would try the old Colt again. I've been going to the range for a couple weeks now but I'm having a hard time seeing the sights. I'm finding it difficult to keep all six rounds in a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper at 25 yards. Tried with my glasses on and with my glasses off. Couldn't do it. I guess my old eyes are just tired. Been thinking about the muzzle loader. I have a .54 TC Grayhawk shooting patched round balls that used to be pretty accurate. I haven't shot it much in the last few years not sure if the eyesight would be against me with the open sights. Not sure what to do. My wife bought me a new Nikon digital camera. She said don't shoot anymore bears. Just take pictures and be happy you've seen and gotten so many. Just curious what you guys would do.
Tony212

·
Administrator
26,058 Posts
You might want to try one of the miniaturized dot sights that have become so common these days. You might have to get a new handgun to mount it on tho. I think if I were still hunting and using a handgun that is likely what I'd do. I've actually been toying with the idea of getting a Glock G40 MOS in 10mm and mount one, likely I'd go with the Truglo MMR or maybe it's by Trijicon but it doesn't require batteries.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
how about a sawed off shotgun (legal length). in used them in Fla. swamp hunting for hogs. #4 buckshot. very thick cover. never lost one. or get the right glasses on get that(Lasik)sp. eye surgery. and pictures would be nice to share with us. good luck anyway you go.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mini red dot would be the thing, but I would have to get a new handgun, the Anaconda isn't drilled and tapped and I don't think I would like to have it done. I actually looked at a Ruger Redhawk hunter but they are expensive at about $1000.00. I do have an 18" barreled H&R shotgun that I use sometimes in VT. But in Massachusetts you have to use a rifle, handgun, muzzleloader or bow. You can only use a shotgun during the overlapping deer season. Curious what you guys think of the TC Grayhawk with patched round balls? Should I take that off the table? I've thought about that LASIK surgery but a little leary of that. I wear bifocals, but I have to tip my head back to use the bottoms to see the sight, and then the target is blurry. If I use the tops the target is clear but the sights are blurry. This is an older picture of the H&R. Now it has a UTG circle dot sight on it. I usually load it with Federal Flight Control 00 buck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I use tri-focals , only thing works for me on a rifle is a scope. hand guns I have learned how to use front sight blade on shots 25 yards or less. in good light. get a scope that lights up the cross hairs or a good dot scope. we two **** old to track a miss hit anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts