Graybeard Outdoors banner

Older Contender Frames

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  jlk 
#1 ·
:gulp: I have a chance to purchase an older Contender frame that has the slide button on the hammer instead of the switch on top of the hammer. Do these older frames work well with the 14 and 16" bbls. I have had the ones with the switch on top and they work fine. Any thoughs or comments on these frames, good or bad, would help in my decision.

Thanks
John

#2 ·
Hmmmmmm,

Isn't the "Slide Button" on the hammer a safety? I seem to remember having a T/C, back in the 70's, that had a safety on the hammer. As I remember, it didn't work! May be CRS at work here, but it's the best I can offer. At any rate, a trip back to T/C would update it to the easy-open, and new style hammer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bug.

#3 ·
i seen one the other day that had a slide safety on the hammer. the serial number was just over 200,000, which shows it to be a easy open frame. i thought that they changed the hammer to the one with the rotating switch when they went to the easy open frame. or did that come later? :?

#5 ·
That is indeed a safety and not a firing pin switch. I had one on my first frame that was arould serial no. 220000 . TC changed it to the new style when I sent it in for repair once. I like it alot better than the old slide button. Every time I accadently droped the hammer on the safety it would freeze up and it took a good rap to free it. KN

#6 ·
Older Frame

I haven't layed eyes on it yet but when I do I will check it out. I have only seen a pic of it. Thanks for the information. I am to meet the guy that owns it and I will see from there.

Thanks Again
John

#7 ·
Contender Frames

Contender frames (blue) with serial #'s after 195,000, were Easy Open type. Frames after April 1 1984 (after 234851, but before 246791) have turret (external firing pin selector) hammers. Contender frames after 3/28/97 (date of plant fire)(between 446202-446735) changed to the Puma head on the frame. I got this information partly from the Owners manual & from www.handgunhunt.com/noframes/tech/t1/manuf_bl_tc.html. Ken

#8 ·
I have one of the old ones. My gun has a 155,XXX number on it. My dad bought it new for me to shoot around 1977. I used it to compete in IHMSA. This was back when the game was new. I shot it in the 22 production class and the big bore class. For big bore we shot 7mm TCU. I won a lot of trophys with this gun and I am soooo glad that I transfered it to my name and still have it today.

These are nice guns, the old TCs. I had an oppertunity to have it changed over to the new hammer and easy open set up a while back but I declined. I thought that it would be best to keep it original.

Jay[/code]

#9 ·
I've got my first contender frame that runs serial number 84,XXX. Not sure when it was made, but it doesn't have any safety other than half cock. If you want to shoot a rimfire barrel, you need to use a screwdriver to reverse the hammer nose for centerfire/rimfire. It is still original, I don't think I'll send it back either!!! It works just fine as it is!

regards,
Graycg

#13 ·
Made the trade

I traded for the contender frame and barrels this past monday. The frame is in real good shape. I have since traded the barrels that came with it. Traded them for something that is more suited to what I will be wanting to shoot.

Thanks for the information. The serial number is 166XXX and it is the type that has to be swithed with a screwdriver not the switch on top. It has a good trigger and I don't think that I will change it either.

#14 ·
Ser#44xxx half-cock safety only
Ser#151xxx has the side to side push button safety--My first TC 23 years ago. All original and planning on keeping it that way. :D

#15 ·
Re: Made the trade

jlk said:
I traded for the contender frame and barrels this past monday. The frame is in real good shape. I have since traded the barrels that came with it. Traded them for something that is more suited to what I will be wanting to shoot.

Thanks for the information. The serial number is 166XXX and it is the type that has to be swithed with a screwdriver not the switch on top. It has a good trigger and I don't think that I will change it either.
:twisted:

#16 ·
My Contender is a 234,xxx serial number range. It has the easy open frame, but the old style firing pin/hammer setup with screw slot.
I've had it forever, and I love it. Haven't had any problems with any barrel I own. I have 10 various barrels from 10" bull, to 18" Custom Shop .35 Rem, and all function flawlessly.

#17 ·
Older frame

:D I worked up some loads for the 10" 30 Herrett barrel and shot them the other day, these were just some loads that I could find some 30 cal. bullets for that I already had. I loaded some 55gr sabots, 125, 150, 165, and 180gr bullets and some did good and some not so good. The 165 and 180 did not do so well but the rest did ok for the first test.

I then switched to the 10" 22lr barrel and it shot real good. I did not try alot of different ammo for it yet, just what I had.

The trigger had some creep in it, and after I took that out it made it alot better. The trigger is not a crisp 2lb. without any creep. I think this will help out next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.