Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a email from olympic arms saying that feb 28 2017 will be their last day . their closing after 40 years .for the last year or so olympic has had a table at the locial gun shows selling what they were calling cosmetic blems [small imperfections in finish]for 550 .00.i bought one that had CAA stock and hand grip factory trigger job and hard case. they said that it was a customer ordered gun[ k-16 model that retailed at 995.00+the grip and stock] that the customer changed his mind on.i really was wanting one of thier 308 cal ar's .

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Its unfortunate - Olympic is definitely one of the old names in the AR business. I've never owned one, but I have heard several people say that their barrels, in general, are top-notch. I have, however, used some of their small parts to finish/repair a few lower receivers.

I do believe that Olympic is only the first of many AR/AR part manufacturers that will be closing in the coming years. With Trump in the White House and military activity in the middle east winding down over the past few years, demand for AR's and aftermarket parts will be dropping off pretty steadily. The manufacturers that have a long-term plan and their finger on the pulse of the AR market will have the best chance of staying in business.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I did hear they are NOT closing. A new owner is keeping things the same.

ch

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I did hear they are NOT closing. A new owner is keeping things the same.

ch
Well, I hope they make some changes. Oly's previous business model was obviously not working very well. Maybe if they keep making those match-grade barrels and try to fix some of the quality control and customer service issues they were having. Olympic is one of the old names in the industry - I think it would be cool if it were to stick around for a while.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've talked to a couple of olympics employees that bring ars to the locial gunshows[ they usually have cosmetic blems small imperfections in the finish or a scrach/nick from assembly at really good prices m4 flattop 550 out the door i bought one that came with a cca stock,a factory trigger job and hard case 550 otd ] and was told that they are staying in busness with new owners and they are trying to keep most things the same ,just changing a few things to give customers better service and quality .i still want one of their 308 or 270 ars . the original family that started and owned olympic now that the old man is retired wants to explore other bussness oppertunitys .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts