Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been buying extra burger when we get a chance. I probably had a 150 lbs in the freezer. Stuff from the stores lately is all 80/20 and that's giving them the benefit of the doubt. Some of it was fattier then that. Tasty when cooked but it puts on a flame show on the grill. Buddy called me a couple days ago and said his brother bought a steer and was grinding it all into burger and I could get 200lbs for 250 a lb. So I jumped on it. Got it yesterday all nicely packed in tubes. Took a lb out for supper last night and its probably the leanest burger ive ever seen. Its lucky to have 5 percent fat. It was harder to grill then the flame throwing fat burgers and to be honest didn't taste as good when it was done. Probably great for spegetti, sloppy joes ect. But a burger needs a bit of fat if you ask me. Id like to cut it with some 80/20 but its all packaged nicely in tubes and its just the wife and I so its kind of hard to take out a lb of each every time.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Same thing when you have venison burgers lloyd. If you don't raise the beef(or pork) fat content you end up with a different, drier, meal. Maybe the fat isn't one of the healthiest things we can eat, but, DARN! it sure tastes good!

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Old timers normally claimed that the fat enhances the flavor. I was watching a show just yesterday, when an interviewer talked to a man whose restaurant was famous for his pies. The interviewer asked what the secret was to great pie crust.

The restaurant owner did not hesitate, when he said.."I use lard in the crust".

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup no doubt about it fat adds flavor. I grind a couple hundred lbs of vension burger every year too. Never did like venison burger when I was a kid. dad never added fat and it was just blaw and different. I take 10lbs of venison buger and add 3lbs of the crappiest fattiest burger I can find and mix them or sometimes hit the butcher up for some beef fat but that can be a pain because its tough to grind unless you cut it in small chunks and freeze it first. Ironglow hit on the crust secret. My wife doesn't make pies but does make pasties and she wouldn't consider making them without having some lard for the crust. My dad grew up poor. I can remember him telling us that his mother would send him to school with a lard sandwich because that's all they had to make him a lunch. He said he remembered liking them. The health nut liberals would probably want her sent to jail today.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
yup no doubt about it fat adds flavor. I grind a couple hundred lbs of vension burger every year too. Never did like venison burger when I was a kid. dad never added fat and it was just blaw and different. I take 10lbs of venison buger and add 3lbs of the crappiest fattiest burger I can find and mix them or sometimes hit the butcher up for some beef fat but that can be a pain because its tough to grind unless you cut it in small chunks and freeze it first. Ironglow hit on the crust secret. My wife doesn't make pies but does make pasties and she wouldn't consider making them without having some lard for the crust. My dad grew up poor. I can remember him telling us that his mother would send him to school with a lard sandwich because that's all they had to make him a lunch. He said he remembered liking them. The health nut liberals would probably want her sent to jail today.
Interesting that you should mention that. My years in the one-room country school, were the best of all. However most who I attended school with, including myself, by today's standards would be in 'extreme poverty". No surprise then, that I saw lard sandwiches from time to time.

Actually they were a bit more than that..since they were slices of home made bread, that was used to mop bacon grease out of the fry pan. Really not bad fare at all, except for the cholesterol. ..And it was usually accompanied by a home grown apple, pear or carrots.

Eggs and homefries done in bacon grease, aren't bad fare either.

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup it was a bit fattening but kids didn't sit all day and tap on there phones back then. When dad got home from school he had barn chores and firewood to cut and split. He didn't get overweight till he got older and had money. Comical thing is today youd get a visit from protective services if you sent your kid to school with a lard sandwich. But then why when the school will let you sleep in and feed your kids for you when they get there.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Pork fat runs out of a burger in the pan. Beef fat stays put.

My old man always ground 50% clean lean trimmed venison. 25% boston butts trimmed to nothing but lean meat. And the fattiest beef he could find. Up to and including buying beef tallow and grinding it in.

We used it for everything, burgers, chili, spaghetti, taco's, everything.

It had great flavor and was very juicy.

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sure doesn't all run out of sausage patties or bratts.
Pork fat runs out of a burger in the pan. Beef fat stays put.

My old man always ground 50% clean lean trimmed venison. 25% boston butts trimmed to nothing but lean meat. And the fattiest beef he could find. Up to and including buying beef tallow and grinding it in.

We used it for everything, burgers, chili, spaghetti, taco's, everything.

It had great flavor and was very juicy.

·
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
allways been the easiest way for me too. Talo is hard to grind and mix unless its still in the meat. I don't do 5050 though. I usually add a 2-3 lbs of cheap burger to 10lbs of venison. Put up about 200lbs like that a year. Funny thing is after eating it or buffalo burger all year, when your run out and buy store burger it tastes like its spoiled for the first few meals. Even when hidden in chili or spaghettis. probably because from killing the cow till burger being put in the shelf at the store its been handled a number of times and is at probably a month old already. Then that burger in a tube at Walmart im not sure is even beef!!! Probably instestines ground with fat.
I mix my venison with a 50-50 mix of cheap hamburger, it makes a lean juicy burger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts