Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

I'm leaving EARLY in the morning for one last try at an elk. Montana had extended the season 2 weeks and ends this coming Sunday. A friend and I are going tomorrow looking for cow elk. I'm taking my Handi-whelen which has already served me well with my muley I harvested earlier this season (thank you God).

I ask for wishes for good luck! I promise to post details of the hunt this weekend, good or bad.

Bottom line, I'm just happy I'm hunting.... we are so fortunate....

Matt

·
Super Moderator
51,248 Posts
Re: One last try....

Wishing you good luck Matt!! ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts

Youre hunting. you re already successfull. Good luck

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

Good luck Brother! I agree with Burntmuch though. You're hunting. You're already successful!

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts

Big young and fat thats how I like em good luck to ya. Kurt

·
Registered
138 Posts

I wish you Good Luck with your hunt. I hope ya bring back some meat. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts

Good luck all I ask now is send me some ... LOL ...just kidding good luck man

·
Premium Member
415 Posts

Matt - Good luck to ya man. I too am in the last days looking for a cow elk in area 103. Carrying my Handi Whelen also unless it starts to pour down rain then I go to my 45-70 Handi carbine with peeps. I have been in Court and unable to get much time to hunt so this weekend is it. Wish you the best of everything and"good huntin pard." - F50 ;)

·
Registered
6,878 Posts

Good Hunting...Stay safe...Hmmmm...tenderloins cooked slowly over a nice campfire...Hmmmmmm ;) ;) :D :D

Mac

·
Registered
124 Posts

Good luck Dude!

I envy ya'. I have to be at a dinner party at 2pm tomorrow and a piano recital Sunday. Takes me two hours to get to an open either sex area so my season is shot.

What district are you hunting?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: One last try.... SUCCESS!!!!

Got one at last light! Handi-whelen strikes again! Pics and story to come later, I have butchering to do this morning.

I know what's for dinner! ;D

·
Super Moderator
51,248 Posts

S'bout time, eh!! Congrats Matt!! ;D

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts

AWESOME . Cant wait to get my whelen set up ;D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

well, it was a low odds deal, hunting 15 square miles that we'd never been in before. We put on about 12 miles hiking, stop and glass, hike, stop and glass, hike....

we spent the last hour sitting in some cover where we'd seen a bunch of tracks in a huge ravine, we'd both physically and mentally given up. With about 5 minutes of legal shooting time left we got up from our spot and saw about a dozen cows behind us coming down the hill. Ducked back down and peeked around the corner, put the handi-whelen on the monopod.... When the crosshairs settled on the lungs of a medium sized cow the gun went off, funny how the body takes over. BOOM....WHAP! Broadside shot, double lung but elk are tough! I knew my shot was perfect and she was done, but she didn't know it. She just stood there, waivering around a little, the other cows ran towards us until spotting us and did a U-turn, my cow hadn't taken a step. I wouldn't have shot again but it was just about dark. Two more through the vitals, then she tipped. This was a stout load too, 225 grain TSX's at 2800 fps at a range of about 165 yards! The good news, she landed 20 yards from the road. 15 minutes later we had her field dressed and loaded, it was a good day.

here's the end results:

·
Super Moderator
51,248 Posts

Way to got Matt!! Looks like some good eatin there. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts

Matt

Nice job , you got to love it when their close to the truck . ;)

stimpy

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts

20 yards from the road. Now thats good planning ;D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup, good eating!

she's all processed and frozen. Had elk burgers for lunch yesterday and it will be tenderloins tonight!

the road deal was just dumb luck....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts