Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Hows that for a thread drift. Sorry[/color]
Oh No dont worrie about that!!
Im just scared of eating anything now. Im single cook much at home so I generaly eat out for lunch and stop on the way home(Quicker)
I guess Taco bell is out! and Mcdonalds. :(
I did see alot of this "Just add water " stuff has alot of Sodium in it.

In addition to canned/dried food for longer trips, you can pre-cook just about any non-liquid food you like. Wrap individual portions in several layers of foil and freeze. When you're ready to go, put the pouches in a ziplock bag and wrap it up inside a towel to put in your pack. It should stay cold enough for a couple of days or so. Vegetables will stay safe to eat a lot longer.

When it's time to eat, light a fire in your canteen stove and set a pouch on top. When it's hot, slice open and dig in.

Foil pouches are my favorite way to prepare meals even for car camping because there's no cleanup required. I just set a pouch in a pan or on coals in the fire (gotta be careful not to burn the food on coals). I often line a pan with foil for cooking spam, corned beef hash, etc. Last thing I want to do while camping is wash dishes. With foil, all you've got left is silverware to clean and a wad of foil you can incinerate in the campfire.

Nightsniper said:
Hows that for a thread drift. Sorry[/color]
Oh No dont worrie about that!!
Im just scared of eating anything now. Im single cook much at home so I generaly eat out for lunch and stop on the way home(Quicker)
I guess Taco bell is out! and Mcdonalds. :(
I did see alot of this "Just add water " stuff has alot of Sodium in it.
The vaccume sealer is starting to look better and better.
Able to cook and make what you want that will keep you from getting gout. You can also cook in large quantity and portion it and freeze it and pack some of it off to lunch.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I believe I will get a Vacuum sealer. I been playing with different foods and have now mastered the art of making a Poached Egg in a 4" sauce pan. Of course the time I would have eggs is if I was Truck Camping.
Been takin the Gout pills and eating different and seem to be getting better. If it hits me again IDK!! Bad Chit

When I was a kid a one-person meal was boiled eggs, Vienna sausage, potted meat, sardines, saltine crackers, and stuff that could be transported on a bicycle to the woods. Still works 50 years later.

charles said:
When I was a kid a one-person meal was boiled eggs, Vienna sausage, potted meat, sardines, saltine crackers, and stuff that could be transported on a bicycle to the woods. Still works 50 years later.

And for some reason, all of those items tasted way better out in the woods than they ever did at home.

Always take some onion, celery and carrots to cut up into whatever ya got; it richens up Ramen (which is my basic 'starter soup kit'). They are kinda my 'three sisters' for most all my cooking. Even though canned stuff usually has a high moisture content I tend to carry some on any trip, and now there are some dandy non-frozen 'microwave' meals' at every grocery store (often on sale at W-Mart for like $2.49) that dont have to be nuked, Ive opened 'em up, dumped in a pan, added boiling water and just cooked some more over whatever flame I have and they are as good as out of the nuker.
Always take salt, pepper and curry powder (if you can stand it, I know some dont). Some of it for my spiffed up Ramen Curry is good for me ;D .
Early on eggs will last quite a few days unrefrigerated, but I like to use them soon, same with a small Summer Sausage, though Landejager (sp?) is good to go for the duration, just wrap either in some brown paper bag to sop any drippin's. Cheeses like XX Sharp Cheddar or aged Swiss are good the same way.
Most breads break down to mashed too quick for me but 'cocktail' mini loafs hold up much better, and some of the more HD crackers last the best (or make your own hardtack).
And 'Gorp'; I get nuts of several types, raisins, craysins, dates, whatever I like and make mine much cheaper than store-bought; its always good to grab & munch.
Some Fig Newtons make a pretty good snack or desert too.

Mountain House is my favorite one person meal. All of it's good tasting food. I realize the bags usually state 2 servings, but when I'm out in the wilds, I'm always extra hungry. The down side is you need a source of water to dehydrate, which means carrying it or getting it out of a creek with a filter. But then water is always a necessity.

Anybody use powdered eggs or butter buds?
I haven't tried either, but might get some for backpacking.

Nightsniper said:
I believe I will get a Vacuum sealer. I been playing with different foods and have now mastered the art of making a Poached Egg in a 4" sauce pan. Of course the time I would have eggs is if I was Truck Camping.
Been takin the Gout pills and eating different and seem to be getting better. If it hits me again IDK!! Bad Chit
If you want to play with the idea of the vaccume sealer with out the cost.
Zip Loc Freezer Bags work pretty well. If you fill the sink with water, put a couple fishing weights on the end of a clothes pin. And fill the sink or a 5 galln bucket to the point where the zipper is just at the water level. Fill the bag with food, again Spegatti, Some sauce, and some cheese is easy. The water forces out the air and the clothes pin holds the bottom in the water to give you two hands to zip the thing. Take it out, let it dry and throw it in the freezer. Take a couple different bags out, Chilli and Rice, Pasta, or beef stew and mashed potatoes stick them in a Gallon Zip lock bag and let them thaw in your bag. Boil in the canteen cup and again easy to use a Frisby as a plate. You even have hot water in the canteen cup to rinse out the Frizbe before you make coffee or tea in what is left.

Sheridan5mm said:
There is a brand of Potatoes that I use, called Idahoan. They have multipole flavors and all take just boiling water to make. And they are pretty good. I like the Baby Red Potato one or the Buttery flavors best.

mcwoodduck said:
Sheridan5mm said:
There is a brand of Potatoes that I use, called Idahoan. They have multipole flavors and all take just boiling water to make. And they are pretty good. I like the Baby Red Potato one or the Buttery flavors best.
Those sound good. I might try some.
But butter Buds is some kind of dehydrated butter.

Sheridan5mm said:
mcwoodduck said:
Sheridan5mm said:
Those sound good. I might try some.
But butter Buds is some kind of dehydrated butter.
I was wondering why you wanted to make Scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes
But with all the neat small plastic containers. A little bit of real butter can be carried.

I make up meals with home dried beef and vegetables. The vegetables are easy -- just buy a pound of your favorite frozen vegetables, spread them out on a dryer tray, and have at it. You can fit a couple of pounds worth of dried vegetables into a sandwich bag.

Dried beef takes a little bit longer. I cut it up as though for jerky, then drop a pound of sliced beef into boiling water, and boil it for eight minutes. Then I put down a layer of paper towels, spread the beef out on it, cover it with a layer of towels, and press out the excess water with a rolling pin. If you don't the beef takes forever to dry, and comes out like a sponge, ready to absorb any moisture in the air. Rolling it seems to seal up the surface. Put the beef in your dryer and let it dry thoroughly. I don't season the beef because I use it in various recipes.

You can make a good quick soup by breaking up several sticks of dried beef and tossing the pieces into a pot of cold water, along with a handful of dried vegetables and a bouillon packet or cube and your choice of seasoning. By the time that the water comes to a boil, the beef and vegetables have rehydrated.

I'm pretty easy to please in the portable food category. This last fall I found Cambells soup in a plastic pouch, it was pretty good. I don't really bother heating stuff so there was no dirty dishes and the trash folded up to about nothing, and slipped into a sandwich bag.

I like the Starbucks Via instant coffee, it's not cheap but I'm not drinking twenty cups a week either. One pouch makes a good big cup of coffee, no teabag affair just a catsup pack size envelope.

I also have become a fan of really good smoked summer sausage, throw an inch or two in a sandwich bag with a good hard cheese like Swiss or sharp cheddar.

Typical load out in the morning ; the bag of soup, 2" of the sausage and an inch of cheese, a sandwich bag of trail mix or nuts, 2 packets of the coffee. I can get that to drop into a Stanley stainless cook pot. Along side the food goes two liters of water and of course a spoon for the soup.

I have done the Idahoan mashed packets as well. I boiled shaved jerky in the water for a couple minutes before adding the flakes. Kinda big meal to finish, but then again I know I'm going back to camp for real food at the end of the day.

In camp it's hard to beat anything that comes in a Zatarans box, I'm a sucker for the Red Beans and Rice, as well as the Dirty Rice.

Forum Obstructionist

I'm the lazy type. One of my single serve meals while on a day hike is a can of low sodium Tuna along with those single serve plastic packs of mustard. Neither needs refrigeration but sometimes you will break a disposable fork trying to eat it. Get a camping plastic fork or a metal one. Bring some chips or something in a sandwich bag since an empty tuna can will stink if you don't seal it in a bag to pack it out.

While there are getting to be more bears in Louisiana I have not heard of any sightings in the Kisatchie Hills area yet. Then again, I don't want to be the first one eaten either.

I read a long thread on another forum about drying food. One guy was drying homemade chili and a bunch of other foods I had never thought about drying. Basic food dehydrators are fairly cheap. I bought a new one with a fan for $50. I found one at a yard sale that only dries by convection. It works but is slower. Dried food saves a lot of space and weight. I sliced and dried a 10 pound sack of potatoes and they all fit into 4 one quart mason jars when they were done.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.