Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 rifles that I would like to hunt with over the next few seasons. None of them are scoped. I bought a nice Burris for one of them and thought how nice it would be if I could just use that scope for all 3 rifles. Is there such a universal mounting system that would allow for this?

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
26,165 Posts
Yes and no.

You'll need to readjust or sight in each time you move it which is really inconvenient at best and a real PITA. You might even have to loosen the rings and slide them on the scope unless you can use a one piece Weaver type base on all of them. If they are the same brand and take identical bases then any Weaver type ring or any QD base/ring set up will allow it but as I said you'll need to resight each time you move it.

While the idea of one scope and multiple rifles seems a good one to save money you'll find out quickly enough it's really a lot more trouble than it's worth. If you do it plan to buy extra screws as you'll shortly need them if you do much switching it around between guns.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
All good points from Graybeard. Also the unspoken one about needing a high quality scope to start with. With all of the rezeroing you will need a repeatable scope. Will 4 clicks up ALWAYS be 1 inch at 100 yards?

I swapped a scope between two rifles once......the scope base is the problem. Weaver bases allow for removing a scope but there is no standard distance between rings. Picatinny rails solve this problem with standard dimensions, but they are expensive and are not available for every rifle.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I kind of figured there would be a catch. That seemed too easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts