Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 243 handi since this past spring. I've been shooting strictly handloads in it, shortly after shooting it for the first time the action started popping open,I know a common handi issue, I've was also having problems with my brass cracking about 1/4 inch up from the base, After research and contacting H&R it was determined to be a headspace issue and they would take care of it, so I sent the gun back after a few weeks I got it back it seemed fine at first, now it's popping open again and cracking the brass again, The loads are not max loads and we shoot them in two other non-handi 243's without any problems. I've followed most of the advice I found here but nothing seems to help thanks in advance cliff

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Drop one of your handloads in the chamber, is the headstamp flush with the chamber face or sticking out noticably? If you don't full length resize your brass, it won't fit entirely back in the chamber and will cause exactly what's happening, pop opens since the brass is keeping the action partly open and not fully locking up.

Tim

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I had the same problem with a 22-250. Case head separations with mid range hand loads, breech popping open, problems sizing brass. Brass shot thru the Handi could not be chambered in any other rifle, even after full length resizing. Accuracy was crap. Chamber was cut way oversize and headspace problems to boot. My solution - removed the scope and traded it off at a gun show.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I have a 243 in H+R ultra found it didnt want close up even though I full length sized I use a rcbs rockchucker press and was using a lee shell holder, when I changed to the rcbs shell holder the gun closed like there was nothing in it. After checking the shell holders there was two thousands difference when using the lee shell holder in that press, I never noticed it when sizing my 30-06. After you full length size and trim check to see how they fit. good luck with it Lorne

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've got a .243 with the same problem. I had to re-fit the barrel using the JB weld mentioned in the FAQ's, and full length re-size all my brass. After that my reloads seems to work much better. I now neck size only and haven't had a pop open yet. I shoot near max loads but will still get a flier here and there, but accuracy is much better. Even after neck sizing, I still have to slam the action shut with some force to get a good lock-up.

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Aldar,
To help mate the latch and latch shelf to improve lock up, put some mild abrasive on the latch shelf, flitz, JB or any fine metal polish, and work the action open and close a bunch, then clean it off and leave it dry. I've done this when I've fitted a barrel to make the final fit as good as it can be without a lot of range time, kind of like polishing the bore to decrease break-in time. ;) I've also used valve grinding compound, but don't work it much since it's much more agressive, just a few cycles is all it needs, then check engagement with smoke or lipstick as per the barrel fitting info in the FAQs.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts