Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am still new to this whole H&R thing....i shot 40 rds through my heavy 223 ultra before sending it to the factory for the 308 and 270 ultra comp.....so i have been reading..asking..reading..reading..did i mention reading? and havn't been able to put any of this info to good use yet since i have not yet recieved the rifle back....quickdtoo seems to be the one that responds to me most as well as a few others who offer excellent welcomed advice! Thanks......

now...i been reading about this polishing of the bore and chamber? is this required for good shooting and groups? i am one of those skittish people who doesn;t like to modify stuff much or do things like that (i get nervous easy! :shock: ) i have had the stuck casing problem with my 223 but i am not sure if it was because i was using 5.56 ammo to start with..since i switched to .223rem ammo i have not had the problem....so what i am asking is...is it required for them to be good shooters? (and who lives close to S.E.Michigan whos got experience doing it :lol: )

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only shot my ultra about 40 rds before went

ok...is this process difficult to screw something up? remember i am a nervous person.....i get real nervous when the first case stuck..i flew back to the gun shop.....and i am not quite clear on what makes a case rimless or not...is the 308 and 270 rimless? how about the 223? is there a web reference where i can read up on this?

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

not to get to far off subject but in order for me to polish the bores i need a rod and either a jag or a brush to put a patch around and the compund to polish right? if so...what is the best cleaning rod for the job...i have shyed away from cleaning rods lately because i hate hitting the bore with them..so i use patch worms and boresnakes.....maybe a carbon fiber coated one piece ball bearing handle rod? i don;t know....

and so alls i have to do is get brushes of the correct caliber..a rod...wrap a patch around the brush and apply a small amount of a select compund..run it in and out repeatedly about 40-50 times reapplying every 4-5 strokes correct? and then how do i get something the size of the chambers? i got 3 barrels coming back 223..308..and 270...thanks for all your guys help... :oops: newbies really appreciate honest up front answers from experienced people!

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

so i just take the patchworm and put some flitz or jb bore on it and pull it through about 30-40 times? do i reapply everytime or just every 3 - 4 times? and i thought that if the line touched the muzzle or bore it wasn't that big of a deal thats why i use them.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

as far as cleaning out the abrasive when your finished..i assume you need to do this because leaving it in will cause more abrassion than you want.....how do you get a real thorough clean and tell when it's all gone? use hoppes?...boresnake? i want to be well informed before i even start this process....and one last thing..any recommendations on polish before i hit the gun store..flitz or jb bore polish..etc??

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

stimpylu32 said:
I use a empty case with a screw in it , my batt. drill and some ultra fine rubbing compound. it's not hard to do , and then clean it real well 8)
could you elaborate a little more on this...do you wrap a patch around the casing? how fast and how long do you do this for? and what polishing compound do you use and how do you clean it out really good

sorry if i am being bothersome guys :oops:

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

so after reading all of this i have gotten a good handle on what to do....thing is i have a .17hmr that i never broke in....i get impatient and want to shoot.....well the 270 and 308 have never been shot so cleaning those should be easy but the 223 has been shot so i am assuming i should get some sweets 7.62 and make sure thats darn good and clean before doing this other process? also i will be using a boresnake...so let me get this all straight and clear....clean the barrel GOOD....then run some polish on the boresnake patch..change patch and reapply every 3-4 swipes....do this 20-40 times....run patches soaked with rem oil down the barrel to flush to polish...then dry patches to dry it out..then clean the barrel as normal before firing? then clean every couple of rounds for a while??

once again sorry guys if it seems like i am beating a dead horse but there is so much difference in everything it's hard to find something to side with

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

well i am not new to shooting..but from various forums i have picked up on so much stuff that makes a whole lot of sense and i want to start trying this stuff...so i guess in conclusion...and so all of your email inboxes can rest from geting thread update emails.....since i havn't been doing this..is that why i get frustrated when cleaning and can usually hardly ever get a clean patch at the end and usually end up and just get it "good enough"?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.