Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my season on public land, Corp of Engineers. I started weeks ago, scouting. Built a nice brush blind overlooking a logging road well off the beaten path.
6:00 am, well before light I signed in to section 3, first name on the list. Just after shooting light I had deer slowly making their way towards my blind, several of them. Just a flash of movement, a white tail and sun on antlers but coming closer.

Now within range but still in brush they suddenly alerted and ran helter skelter.

Three young men came into view, side by side and talking loudly. Did they see my sign in for this area? Sure they said but there is room for us all. You can have it says I.

Yesterday after church I took three rifles to my lease land to sight in. First one after one shot, no more cross hairs. Rifle #2, low and left. Scope will not adjust. I turned the adjustment and tapped lightly... Didn't change. Turned a lot and tapped....no change.

Rifle #3, 45-70 with open sights. Dead on at 50 yards. Glad I put the aperture sight on. This looks like what I will hunt with initially.

Put on my vest and drove to the back of the property. Jumped a nice doe, and the lever hung on the lever action. Never got a round in battery.

Drove home.

Maybe I should take up hiking again?

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Ha Ben.

Keep at it!!

I see allot of these "happy feet" hunters... Dont like it one bit.

CW

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
don't fret over it.
it's just murphy.
cw l. mailed him to you at the
same time he sent off his scope.
don't know the seasons there, but
there's more than enough time here
to score.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Ranger99 said:
don't fret over it.
it's just murphy.
cw l. mailed him to you at the
same time he sent off his scope.
don't know the seasons there, but
there's more than enough time here
to score.

HA, thanks bud... I'll "mail" him off somewhere soon too. ::) I used to be in the printing industry, Murphy was a pressman ya know... :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

CW

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
not to wish ill will
maybe he'll stay on that side
of the mississippi for another
year or so before he comes
back here to spread misfortune :(

anyway, surely your hunting isn't over yet. .

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
;) ;)
all it takes is those few minute little bits of
time to get ready and draw, or to get the
firearm positioned, and whammo! venison.
the rest is just time well spent in god's wilderness. ;) ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
If it was easy, anybody could do it. Stay the course. It is beautiful outdoors this time of year. When they look into the ground blind to inquire whether you're awake or not, just klunk 'em in the head with the barrel.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I learned last year to wait it out, I hunted a property mainly on weekends and every day the neighbors were driving their atv right down the property line which was 40 yards to my right, but they weren't doing it at noon they weren't even heading out until 2:30-3 o'clock in the afternoon which drove me crazy since it was only a hour and a half away from "power hour". Well it happened twice and I was so disgusted I packed it up and left. Well the last time I just shook my head and said oh well, wouldn't you know it around 4:30 a group of 4 doe came right from where they drove in and I put the biggest of the group down. Moral of the story is, you can't kill em if you ain't there! Put your time in and the pieces will fall into place! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts