Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...

Spent Saturday morning in Franklin County hunting pheasants.

Opening day...Saw more hunters than I have seen on opening day in a few years. Not necessarily a bad thing, as a large number of the groups had at least one young hunter and a couple had girls. That has to be a good thing.

These nearly 61 year old legs wore out after a few hours but we did cover a lot of ground in high grass fields, heavy brush and woods. Managed to flush quite a few birds. My 21 year old son does what he always does...limited out(2 cocks). One of my friends went with us and did his usual demonstration of poor shooting on live birds...cannot understand why. He is an excellent shot on clay birds but can't seem to track a live pheasant well.

I did manage to drop two cock birds so my son and I had four birds to clean when we got home. Three of the birds seemed to be pen-raised from the pheasant stocking program but at least one had longer spurs and a fair amount of fat on him so I think he may have been a wild bird.

Did some serious damage to my brush pants and upland coat in the heavy brush...may need to replace them after this season. They are several years old and have seen some rough use .

Back and legs are stiff and sore today. Advil helps but doesn't take away the feeling that I am getting close to the end of my upland bird hunting career. Lifting these nearly 61 year old legs over heavy brush and waist high grass is getting more difficult with each passing year...not much fun busting heavy thick briars either.

Can't wait until next Saturday when we can do it again. I have two 17 week old Lab puppies that should be old enough to hunt next year so they should make it possible for me to keep hunting for a few more years. They were pretty interested in the birds we brought home yesterday.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Sounds like a good day afield! Nice to hear of young hunters being seen out and about.

I'm 44, but remember that to the old timers (like my grand father), how that first day of small game used to be a bringing together of family and friends. It seemed to be "the" season a lot of them looked forward to. I seem to remember that back then it used to be a 9 am start time on that opening day. I never really understood the significance of that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"back then it used to be a 9 am start time on that opening day. I never really understood the significance of that."
[/size]
[/size]No idea why they did that, either.
[/size]It was that way when I started hunting 50 years ago. I remember standing at the edge of a field waiting for my Dad to say, "OK, It's 9 O'clock . Let's Move!"
[/size]
[/size]I was out there with my Dad and older brother from about the age of 7-8 walking between them to flush birds.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I was out there with my Dad and older brother from about the age of 7-8 walking between them to flush birds.
Ah, so you were the proverbial "dog". I've played that role myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts