Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have access to a melting pot and have cast bullets before. I'm looking at getting back into it for my 38's and 357's and money is an option as it's tight these days. Most for the least money is Lee stuff. I use a Lee hand press and am very pleased with it. Although the reviews of the Lee 158 grain Tumble Lube SWC mold and the bullets it produces are good I wanted to throw it out there and get other opinions. I would also be using the Lee Lube and Size kit with the Alox. Opinions on this would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I prefer Lee moulds personally. They are light and heat up fast.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I know, I will get flack for this, but it is my opinion!

The two cavity Lee molds I have used in the past were short life junk.

I do have a couple of the 6 cavity molds - 45acp & 40S&W - which are a solid step up in quality.

The best ever mold I personally have used is my 4 cavity LBT mold for 310gr. .44s

I have had/used Lyman for years, and also a RCBS or two, but the LBT mold is the hands down winner in the quality department.

AS per my comment about the Lee molds, I have avoided the smaller molds for years simply because their design did not allow for long term use.

Keep em coming!

CDOC

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
For the price you can replace them 5 times but I've cast thousands of bullets with Lee molds as has my good friend. They've never let me down and actually produce more usable bullets than other brands.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
The TL bullet is designed so you don't have to run the bullet through the sizer.
I have quite a few Lee molds, one or two that I know I've had for over 15 years and they all still cast good bullets. I also have a few RCBS molds, and I really like them, too. I'm not real fond of Lyman molds, but that's only my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got off the Midway website and am thinking of adding the Lee 158 grain SWC GC to my wish list too. I'm thinking that GC would come in handy with hot loads over Lil Gun. Does the Alox tumble lube work with all styles of cast bullets and not just the Tumble Lube bullets ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
kynardsj said:
Just got off the Midway website and am thinking of adding the Lee 158 grain SWC GC to my wish list too. I'm thinking that GC would come in handy with hot loads over Lil Gun. Does the Alox tumble lube work with all styles of cast bullets and not just the Tumble Lube bullets ? Thanks.
I use the Lee alox for all different styles of bullets and have had no problems , some of my bullets I want to shoot as-cast and the Lee allows me to lube with out going through the pain of pan or hand lubing .

I also happen to like the Lee molds and use a bunch of them for all my .41 , .44 , .452 and .458 shooting , I don't cast any .357 as I can buy as cheap as doing it myself .

stimpy

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
The two cavity Lee molds I have used in the past were short life junk.
I pretty much agree. Most I've tried are really piss poor excuses for a bullet mould. The bullets don't seem to want to drop from them without some modification to make them do so and the bullets just don't seem as high quality as from Lyman or RCBS moulds which most of mine are one or the other.

They'd do in a pinch but if it doesn't come in a 6 cavity mould I mostly don't consider Lee moulds at all.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I use Lee molds, they save a lot of money, especially if you are experimenting or are just getting started. I've noticed that when they get really hot, they tend to leak between the two mold halves. Usually I let them cool a bit and go right back to it. Never had any complaints about the overall quality of the bullets they drop.

However, I certainly feel that you get what you pay for with Lyman and RCBS molds (and other high quality iron block molds). Most of my "expensive" molds are slow to heat up, but once they get there, you can cast all day if your arm can stand to hold the heavy buggers up.

What I do sometimes is buy the Lee molds when I get some new caliber, then later order a Lyman or RCBS mold if I decide to keep the gun. It's nice to have extra molds for different bullet shapes, weights, etc to experiment with, so you cannot have too many different molds!

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Opinions for the most part have been in favor of the Lee molds. Since the Alox lube will work with other styles of bullets I'm going to do away with the Tumble Lube design SWC and go with the 158 gr SWC GC for my hotter loads and a 158 gr FP with a big meplat for the other loadings. I appreciate everyones input.

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
I think you are making a good choice. I generally don't like Lee's tumble lube designs, I find that a lot of those little bands don't fill well. I use their liquid lube on their little 115 gr. SWC and it is one of my favorite bullets. The only disadvantage is that the lube on the front part of the bullet will pick up dirt.

·
Registered
65 Posts
All I have are Lee double cavity molds (except for a hollow base single cavity 45/70 mold) and have gotten good results from all of 'em. I probably don't cast as much as a bunch of you maybe that's why they are lasting O.K.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hey Dezynco,

If you use a Quality aluminum blocks, something on the order of an LBT, you will find they are far and away faster and at least as good as the iron blocks such as Lyman or RCBS.

Also, the "Quality" products are made so as to avoid the ware problems typical of the cheaply made aluminum products, steel alignment pins and bushings rather then steel to aluminum.

Light, cast fast and very well for a long time.

I can understand "trying" a bullet from a cheap mold, but as already stated, the LBT mold is the best mold I have ever used and in the long run, worth the bucks!

Keep em coming!

CDOC

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I've used Lyman/Ideal moulds that were older than I am and cast perfect bullets. I have Lee moulds that after 5 years, they cast poor bullets due to misaligned halves. i shoot as cast and use nothing but liquid alox.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have a question, What makes the Lee bad? I just got done casting 87 365 gr 50 cal. muzzloader bullets fron Lee. I noticed the bottom of the bullets are not very square, one side is longer than the other and am wondering if it is what is affecting accuracy to some extent. Not that the bullets shoot bad but it seems I get better accuracy out of 44 cal. rem. pistol bullets with sabots. Would this make me loose accuracy? It is only 1/100 of an inch or so but I wonder if it's just a bad mold.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If the base of the bullet is not square, this can be a very bad thing as per accuracy.

IMHO, the Lee molds are bad because they do not last, period.

Have I personally used Lee molds? Yes, been there done that!

When you take a steel alinment pin and seat it in/against aluminum, such as with the single or two cavity Lee molds, it tends to wear the softer surface very quickly, which in turn prevents the blocks from closing in the correct position.

Lee 6 cavity molds are a step up in quality, but still nothing like the quality of an LBT mold or the molds of other quality manufactures.

Keep em coming!

CDOC

·
Registered
784 Posts
Where can I get a .50 cal. mould for muzzleloading bullets? I might go to a bigger bullet than the 365gr Lee mould I have because the 1/28" twist should be more accurate the slower the bullet moves. I don't see much of anything except Lee. I also live 20 mi. from thr plant and can stop in if I want.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.