Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinion on 375 RUM

I am looking to buy a Remington 375 RUM in the LSS or XCR model and am looking for opinions on this combination. I know the ammo cost and availibility is worse than a H&H but I want the extra punch. Also thought of a 375 Ruger but not real fond of Rugers. Thanks

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Re: Opinion on 375 RUM

I have twin RUMs. One a 300 and the other a 375 RUM. The 375 RUM is an amazingly powerful round. easily surpassing the 375 H&H by 250-300fps with equal bullet weights. My go to load has been a 270gr TSX @ 3050fps. Accuracy is great, and it shoots as flat as a 270 but hits like a freight train. I'm currently working up a load for the 250gr TTSX and should be able to get 3200fps+ out of it.

Recoil can be brisk but it isn't unmanageable. My 375 RUM weighs 7lbs 10oz with scope attached and just over 6.5 pounds with scope removed. Recoil without the scope was pretty bad but I easily tamed it with a vias muzzle brake.

It is easily reload able and I strongly suggest you do reload if you get this cartridge. Brass is readily available and in a pinch you can use 300 rum brass to form it very easily. good powders include 4831 and 4350.

I don't think the 375 RUM is necessarily for everyone but for those you can handle the power it makes for a very versatile round that will easy work for any animal in any terrain from speed goats to elephant.

My 375 is zeroed for 250 yards
100 +2.5 4581 ft-lbs
200 +2 3708 ft-lbs
300 -3.5 2973 ft-lbs
400 -16 2355 ft-lbs

270 winchester federal 140gr accubond load zero'ed at 250
100 +2.6 2375 ft-lbs
200 +2 2069 ft-lbs
300 -3.5 1796 ft-lbs
400 -15.25 1551 ft.lbs

top rifle is my 375 RUM

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts

In my way of thinking the 375RUM is in a different class than the 375Ruger. The point of the ruger is compactness. The point of the RUM is distance. I have a 375HH that I might improve or rechamber to WBY because I'm hard pressed to get anywhere near the advertised velocity of the cartridge. But...seems to make quick work out of bison......no matter.....

What might you use it for???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I have a LSS in 300 RUM and a LSS Converted to a XCR stock in 338 RUM But would like to get the 375 yet. Don't really need it but want one. Would use it in Alaska for bears and such. There were a few on the auction site for a while but they seemed to have dryed up. Thanks for your in put.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

I used to have a 338 RUM but found brass was very getting hard to find and there was a serious overlap between the 300, 375 and 338 RUMs. If you punch the 338 RUM out to 338 EDGE you can form brass easily from 300RUM and will pick up a little case capacity. a buddy of mine had one built recently on a winchester 70. It makes for a nice long range round with the great BC bullets for the 338 out there.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts

Now shortstuf....needing a new rifle is never a good reason to buy one.....wanting is all it takes! ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts

I have a 338 RUM (Rem Model 700) and a 375 Ruger (M-77 Hawkeye African).

Don't know about TheBear, but I "solved" my brass problem early by buying 500 cases for my RUM.

Also don't know why anyone would want more than the 338 RUM or 375 Ruger to hunt anything in North America. I know you did not state your needs........But I don't know why anyone would want a 375 RUM, if their hunting was limited to North America.

My 338 RUM produces about 65 ft/lbs of recoil at trigger touch, while the 375 Ruger produces about 45 ft/lb s of recoil.

I am a big guy and shoot regularily but about 10 rounds of the 338 RUM is about all I can stand. It shoots .4 MOA out of the box. It is not muzzel braked -- don't like em.

I can go about 20 rounds on the 375 Ruger. It is .8 MOA out of the box and not muzzel braked.

I like the Hawkeye better than my other 2 Rugers. They are 30-06 and 25-06 in M-77 MK IIs. Had to float their barrels and install Timney triggers to get them under 1 MOA. But the Hawkeye has a sweet trigger and a floated barrel and never gave me any problems as long as I stuffed RL-15 in the case!

Of course if you need a 375 RUM because you hunt outside North America or just because you want one -- go for it.

Barstooler

·
Registered
9,618 Posts

Is the recoil difference really worth the extra power? Has the T rex excaped from Jurasic park? If so I may see the need to upgrade my 375H&H
375H&H has worked for a long time and continies to work.
The availibility and diversity of loaded ammo has made it great.
I have been using the A squared triad (monolith solids, soft points and lion loads) of ammo in mine as well as the Remington 270 grain soft points by Remington. I was suprised at the damage the Monolith Solids did to a 1/2 steel plate and still retained a lot of the bullet.
The 378 Weatherby has been around for years and is equal to the 375 RUM and has never really caught on for the extra horse power. I think the 375 RUM will be the same as the Weatherby. There but not used like the H&H is.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Next time your face to face with an angry brown bear I think you will agree there is no such thing as too much power. As I was being charged by an angry sow this spring the 375 RUM felt pretty small. I agree there probably isn't any animal on earth that you could shoot with your 338 RUM or even the 375 H&H but I have been very impressed with the power and accuracy of the RUMs and can't see where shooting a 270gr bullet @ 3050 isn't just more of a good thing than the same bullet at 2650-2700fps.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts

Then why not go up in Caliber?
416 Rigby? or 458 Win Mag or Lott. 404 Jefferies, 416 Ruger.
I think there is a difference between a Hunting rifle and a STOPPING rifle.
Hunting rifle is enough power to cleanly kill the game animals you are after at normal ranges for the game.
A stopping rifle is just that, Stops Dangerous game quickly and efficiently.
My fear with hot rodding a light for caliber bullet is it may not be made for those speeds. Having a bullet fail that looks great on paper with 3K in speed but hitting a hard object. A freind had a 22-250 hot rodded with 40 grain bullets and was shooting it in the rain every now and then we figured it hit a drop we saw a puff of grey in the spotting scope and no hole in the paper.
In one of the Capstick books He talks about a Zebra hit with a hot 378 round and the bullet just blew a base ball sized hole in the shoulder, they had to wait till the wounded Zebra ran another 100 yards before the bullet slowed to 375H&H speeds for it to work.
I can see Pushing a Heavy for caliber bullet the same speeds at the light for caliber bullets. A 350 grain Solid or soft point ar 2600 FPS would be a fearson rifle and the bullet would probably stay together and penetrate the bear to hit the soft blood filled parts and break the bones.
I think I would also want a Bigger hole to make more damage and have a better chance of hitting bone, and blood filled organs to stop the animal.
I think your 375 RUM would be a hunting rifle that would extend the 375H&H a couple hundred yard for long range shooting and deliver the same bullet at the same speeds 100 to 200 yards down range from the H&H.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

The barnes bullets can easily handle 3k fps. They are extremely tough bullets and are a whole different world than the cup/core traditional bullets that originally had trouble in the 378 weatherby. Penetration is very rarely a problem with the TSX or similar mono metal bullets because of their excellent weight retention and sectional density. The last moose I shot with my 300 RUM and 168gr TSX I got complete lengthwise penetration, 5+ feet in a bull moose, and moose are much heavier boned and muscled than a brown bear.

Bear, even the biggest brown bear, are not really that heavily boned. They aren't even close to the bone size or density of the big african game like zebra, cape buff, hippo, and elephant. A solid isn't the best choice for bears. An expanding bullet imparts a tremendous amount of shock and secondary wound damage that you simply don't get with a solid. The internal damage from a fast 250-270gr TSX will be more than any of the cartridges you mentioned.

I'd stack up the faster 375s with appropriate bullet selection against any of the proven african stopping rifles, 458 Lott, 416 rigby, 404 jeffery, and think you would be hard pressed to find any of them any more effective. The 375 RUM will also push a 350gr bullet to 2600+ fps easily. and a 350gr .375 has a much better Sectional density, ballistic coefficient, and penetration potential than any 350gr .416 or .458 bullet.

·
22,249 Posts

ive shot the buddys 378 wby with and without the break on it and without the break its a handfull! Not quite as bad as his 416 wby but close. How does the ultramag 375 compare in recoil to the 378?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts

Lloyd said:
ive shot the buddys 378 wby with and without the break on it and without the break its a handfull! Not quite as bad as his 416 wby but close. How does the ultramag 375 compare in recoil to the 378?
About the same ballistics. Both do fairly bad things to your body if you shoot them much over a period of time.

Now if you want some real hit neck that 375 RUM up to 458. Then it becomes a serious stopping rifle, with quite a flat trajectory. 500gr. at the same speeds a 375 H&H throws 300gr. Kicks a bit too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well I found a new in the box Remington 700 SS 375 RUM on Gunbroker and should have it in about a week. The gentleman that has it decided it was a little more gun than he needed. Now I will have get dies and some brass. Anybody have a good source for brass and any good load data?

·
Registered
20 Posts

I've never fired a .375 RUM. I'd like to, though.

The old king is a wonderful catridge. However, if you want to push a 300 gr bullet +2700 fps, it might not be the one for you. 375 Ruger can do that easily. And there's no reason to limit your rifle choice to Ruger, for that matter. If you want to use heavier .375 bullets and need velocity, I guess RUM is your choice.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

270gr Barnes TSX H4350xtr 96.0gr Fed 215 2935fps 1" groups @ 100yrds
260gr Nosler Accubond H4831sc 100.0gr Fed 215 2980fps

These are the two loads I have shot the most out of mine. I have some 250gr TTSX that I haven't started playing with yet. The 270gr TSX has proven to be a devastating bullet on everything its been thrown at. I have another load that I shoot now that gets 3050fps with the 270 TSX but I won't post its as its pretty close to max.

·
Registered
722 Posts

I have had 2 Rem 700 LSS rifles in 375RUM I sold the first to a buddy that had to have it right after I shot an interior grizzly june 1 2008 with 300gr Partitions @ 2775fps distance of shot was 230 - 250 yards and the skull scored 24 3/16" we were north of Fort St John British Columbia, Canada I then traded my well used 300RUM for the identical BNIB 375RUM that I modified to my needs then I bought a barely fired identical 300RUM again.

I do a lot of solo hiking/prospecting/hunting so wanted a short rifle like my Marlin 1895GS 45-70 for defense but also would have the reach of a 270 Win so I had the the barrel shortened to 21" and adjusted the trigger to 3lbs, glass bed the action installed a Kick-Eez recoil pad, Leupold 2 piece QRW scope bases, a NECG Masterpiece banded front sight/post, I mount a Leupold VX111 4.5-14X40 Boone & Crockett reticle scope with Leupold QRW rings when the scope is off I install on the rear scope base an XS Sights tall Weaver backup ghost ring sight.

I load 260gr Accubonds @ 3020fps have the scopes main reticle zeroed for 200 yards second B&C reticle line down is dead on @ 460 yards, 300gr anything @ 2730fps and 350gr TSX @ 2450fps only shoot these when the ghost ring sight is mounted have it zeroed @ 75 yards.

This combo is my favorite do everything rifle and I have absolutely no intentions of ever going to Africa but if it happened I would be prepared... :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 375 Rum and It came with 4 boxes of 270grain ammo, let me tell you this gun packs a whollap at both ends but If I were to face a charging bear or other game that could kill you, I wouldn't replace it with anything. I bought a few boxes of ammo from a speciality gunstore in Lloydminister, Alberta for 150$ a box, then I found ammo at Bass pro shops for 65$ same box of 270grain, And 75$ for the premier 300 grain ammo, let me tell you I have stalked up since Im gonna be prospecting in the future in Grizzly country. If shells are this cheap at Bass pro shops then you can practice with it, And practice is key for a well placed shot, target or lifesaving!

Wes NWT, Canada

1 - 18 of 18 Posts