Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get a single shot rifle (.243), but price is an issue for me. What are everyone's opinions on the Handi Rifles? Are they worth the time?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Have one

I bought one for hunting caribou up on the Bering Coast. The trigger pull on the older ones, mine included is rather heavy. If you have a heavy trigger you can return it to the factory and they will lighten it up for you.
I started shooting Remington 100 soft points and took three caribou out to about 250 yards. No complaints. When I moved from there and started reloading for it I found that 90 grain Noslers were much more accurate in my gun. It seems to be rather long throated and I allow for it.

I really do like the gun though and am planning on sending mine back to get a 30/30 barrel and a .44 barrel. The .44 I will have rechambered to .445 Supermag.

They seem to be a good entry level gu for the price. H&R has a web page http://www.hr1871.com/index.htm that many people post questions on.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think they are wonderful little guns. I own four[ 20 ga. shotgun, 20 ga. slug gun with scope, .30-30 handirifle, .50 cal. huntsman muzzleloader]. The trigger pull on all of them is great. Matter of fact, the .30-30 was 3 1/4 lbs. when I got it. It shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yds. with factory loads. For the money, I don't think you could go wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 22 hornet handi - rifle for varmint, and it is great. I put a cheap 30 dollar simmons scope on it, took it to the range to sight in, and after fine tuning, shot three rounds the size of a dime, all touching at 70 yds. Trigger pull is crisp and light on mine also

·
Registered
7 Posts
BUY IT/ I got a synthetic 243 with a $30 scope and can shoot within an inch at 100 with factory ammo. Also once you get the rifle you can add barrels about $80 a piece. (270,3006,40/70, 44mag,3030,308, muzzleloader, shotgun, the list goes on) I took a chance when I bought mine I new nothing about them but everytime people see it shoot they are impressed(for the price). Now remember you get what you pay for buy they are a bargain. Just my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts