Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some unknown reason, I've begun wanting a stainless 20" Marlin 336. AS I can buy a blued 336 as low as $300 and the SS model will run me $450, I do wonder if stainless steel is worth the extra $150. Next question: Will standard 336's do well with Leverevolution ammunition? Thanks, gentlemen.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I'd pay the extra $150 for the stainless, especially for a Marlin in SS. I'd say it's a good investment. Haven't tried the LeverEvolution ammo yet but want to one of these days. Read the forum, there's a lot of talk here about that ammo.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I wouldn't spend the extra for the stainless. I wish my 1895GS was the blued version. I got a real good deal on the stainless Guide Gun and I couldn't pass it up. I think blued is nicer looking and it shoots just as well.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I agree that the blued version looks better but the corrosion resistance you get with the stainless is well worth the money spent and looks wont make it shoot any better.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have a stainless 45-70 in Marlin 1895 xlr and love it. Have a laminated stock. Looks good to me, and don't have to worry about rust. Clean out the barrel as normal, but outside, just rub with an oily rag occasionally. I have a Ruger 77 stainless about 20 years old. Easy to clean, just wiped off the outside. No rust anywhere.

·
Registered
749 Posts
They will "rust" and require as much care as a Blue Steel rifle

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Foggy said:
They will "rust" and require as much care as a Blue Steel rifle

The stainless "can rust" if subjected to constant poor storage conditions. I've worked with all different grades of stainless for years and guarantee it will not require the "same care" as a the normal blued steel. Do you store your guns in a salt water tank?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have both stainless and blue steel rifles. The stainless required far less care. I have to make sure I coat the entire rifle inside and out on blue steel with a good oil to keep it from rusting. The stainless doesn't require near as much outside the bore and barrel attention.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I started using stainless a few years ago when I had rust problems after a few hours in the field on a rainy day. My stainless guns can take a dousing and be fine until I get home to dry them off. Here in Wisconsin the norm during hunting season is rain and snow, so I want guns that can put up with that. The gravy is I like the looks of stainless.

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
I wish they would start making them in .35 Remington?

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies! I decided to go ahead an order a 336 in stainless steel. I want this rifle to be sorta like my right hand, I intend on it and I becoming constant companions when I'm out on my ATV, tractor or whatever I'm doing. Much less eyebrow raising than a typical magazine fed military type rifle and even more so effective than any handgun I can think of. I carry a 6" stainless .357 when out in the "boonies" I think the Marlin added will complete the parfect pair.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I saw one on either Gunbroker or Auctionarms last night.

·
131 Posts
I have a 336cs in 30-30 that I absolutely love to use. The gun is lite, accurate, and fast handling. The lever revolution 160 grain rounds work really well out of my gun, as you can see below.

Here are a few pictures of targets using the lever revolution 160 grain rounds.

This is at 100 yards, the big hole is from my slug gun. the loose shot was my fault

As far as the extra $150.00 for stainless go's, I would just buy the blued rifle. The stainless rifle will still rust if not taken care of properly.

·
Registered
744 Posts
demented said:
Thanks for all the replies! I decided to go ahead an order a 336 in stainless steel. I want this rifle to be sorta like my right hand, I intend on it and I becoming constant companions when I'm out on my ATV, tractor or whatever I'm doing. Much less eyebrow raising than a typical magazine fed military type rifle and even more so effective than any handgun I can think of. I carry a 6" stainless .357 when out in the "boonies" I think the Marlin added will complete the parfect pair.
Sounds like an 1894c would be perfect. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
Maybe the 1894S, the C isn't even stainless, like the original post asks about?

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the .357 basically run out of steam past 100 yards or so? Actually, I had thought of a .357 lever rifle, but assumed I'd be better equipped out to 150 yards or therabouts with a 30-30.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Swampman said:
The stainless .35 I saw is on Gunbroker.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Swampman said:
Swampman said:
The stainless .35 I saw is on Gunbroker.

You must be referring to the 336XLR in .35 Rem? I haven't seen them list a stainless carbine in .35 Rem on the Marlin site. Hoping for it someday!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts