Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mechanic says my old Honda Fourstroke is headed for the great outboard graveyard. Thinking about replacing it with either Yamaha F50 HP EFI Fourstroke or a Mercury 50 EFI BigFoot Fourstroke. Would like opinions on these two outboards. Lawdog
:toast:

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Opinions On the Fourstroke Mercury & Ya

Lawdog,
No personal experience with fourstrokes, but the marina where I keep my houseboat uses the Yamaha fourstrokes on their rental party barges. The owner says they hold up really well.
Savage

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Savage said:
Lawdog,
No personal experience with fourstrokes, but the marina where I keep my houseboat uses the Yamaha fourstrokes on their rental party barges. The owner says they hold up really well.
Savage
Savage,

My reasons for a fourstroke is I fish a number of lakes and reservoirs that have banned the use of twostroke engines. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
4,551 Posts

Ah yes, Lawdog. That's the way it is in Cali. The 4 strokes are nice! Guess I'll have to try one when my 2 stroke monsters die. The only advantage of the 2 strokes is the power to weight ratio. Even there, the 4 strokes are catching up fast.
Savage

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Savage,

Ah yes, Lawdog. That's the way it is in Cali.
Yes and for excellent reasons after reading some of the pollution reports on some of the lakes before they banned the use of 2 stroke engines. newest reports show a definite lowering of the very same pollutants. I don’t really believe the blame falls on 2 stroke engines from fishing boats but from the hundreds of jet ski’s and such that clogged the waterways. After banning 2 strokes and the jet skis disappeared the lakes started to clean up visibly. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
17 Posts

I have been out of the water for a couple of years and my experience was not with 50s, so take this for what it's worth.
Yamaha makes the Mercury 4-stroke engines. Or they did - not sure if anything is happening yet with that Mercury plant in China. If I recall correctly, Mercury has a lower (published) operating cost because they have a longer service interval and cheaper spark plugs,even though it is the same engine.

I would go with the better dealer, or what your mechanic prefers, since that's what will matter if something goes wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts