Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My cousin will be starting to deer hunt this year and is looking for a rifle.
I think the Remington 710 would probably be a nice rifle for the price. Does anyone have one of these? What do you like/dislike about it? My cousin is 23 and is pretty built, and he has shot my 30-06 before, so he is familiar with bolt actions and the kick of a 30-06.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You won't find much good said about them here. This subject came up a while back and they really took a beating. Seems like there were some recalls on them quality really stunk. I looked at one once and was not at all impressed. I would think you could get into a savage for nearly the same cost and be a lot happier. Just my $.02 KN

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi Dont know much about the Model 710 But the Rem Model 700 ADL black sty. u can get it in some good calb. like a 243 25 06 270 or a 22 250 i have kill a few deer with a 22 250 and for a first gun it would work good that is what my wife use's i like a Savage it was the first 22 250 i ever own and it shot good BUT it was a Model 110 long action i didnt like it i wood even look at a Howa rifle i had one it was a good shooting rifle about the same price hope i have help good luck :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How bout Remington 700 ADL

What do ya'll think about the 700ADL? I think the local dealer here sells them for $329. Thats the blued synthetic stock model. I thought the 710 might be nice because of the scope and everything already mounted, but he could get a 700ADL and just spend a little extra and get a nice scope. Let me know what you think. THanks for the replies so far!!!

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
The scope that is on it is cheap. Granted, it's a Bushnell, and I love the Elite 4200s, but it's not even a 3200. In fact, it's not even a trophy.

If you spend a little more money on the ADL with, at least an Elite 3200 scope, then you will have one heck of a set-up.

You may also want to look into the Tikkas. Their blued/syn version is more expensive than the ADL, but they are much higher quality.

Zachary

·
Registered
17 Posts
I own and shoot a Remington model 710 in 30-06...and I'm very happy with it.

It's very accurate, takes the elements very well, handles great, it's light, and I've not had any problems with it at all. There was talk about the bolt being "stiff", but after a few shots and a couple drops of oil it's doing great. It's not a "pretty" rifle by anyone's standards...but it does what it was designed to do.

Out of the box.....the first 3 shots at 100 yards were 3" low and 2" to the right for me.....but it was also a 1 & 1/2" grouping....with 2 shots touching each other. It's now sighted for 2" high at 100 yards...all 3 shots can be kept in the same 1" grid square.

As you'll discover, as did I....most folks that are slamming the 710 have never actually owned or even shot one. Judge for yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Catfish,

Actually, you are probably right that most people who criticize the 710s have never even owned or shot them. However, although I have never owned one, I have shot quite a few - probably 5 or 6 of them. That's not a whole lot, much it is considerable for someone who doesn't own one.

I would say that all of them shot anywhere between 1.5MOA to 2.5MOA. (In all honesty, I have seen several ADLs shoot about 1.5MOA too, but never above 2 MOA.)

However, although one or maybe two of the 710 seemed fine, all of the others had problems. Specifically, the bolt was not working properly, even will a little oil on it and working it several times. In fact, sometimes the bolts just wouldn't close! :eek: Also, the triggers were very sloppy. Overall, it is apparent that the quality control was not there.

Remington created the 710 to compete with the Savage rifles. While the 710 competed in price, they did not, in my opinion, compete in value. I don't own any Savages, but I would buy a Savage well before I buy a 710.

I don't mean to offend any 710 owners, it's just that, in my personal experience, in addition to what I have learned from close contacts who I dearly trust, I would never buy a 710. And I think that Graybeard similarly agrees.

Zachary

·
Registered
17 Posts
No offense taken. :)

Every make/model has a lemon or 2....and I'm sure that everything that's considered "bad" has a good one in the mix as well.....maybe that's what I got.....one of the few good ones...I dunno. 8)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am the proud owner of a 710

I own a remington 710 and love it granted it is ugly, the trigger in my opinion is about the old style savage quality ut it SHOOTS!!!! I have achieved groups ranging from ,69 to around 1.07 for 3 shots at 100 yards. I grab this one before all as I am not worried about scratches or rain or drpping it The scope is not of high quality but it is resonably clear for hunting I have abused this gun by getting it dirty not cleaning it bumping it and guess what???? It has never shifted point of impact still hovers around .75 with 150 corelokts I will hace this gun for life. we have to understand why this gun was built. It was built as a first gun or for thebudget inded hunter

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moose Hunter

moose hunter,

Why dont you like the Remington 710? It would be helpful for me if you would explain why the gun is good or bad so I know the specific reasons. And I do not want to start my cousin out with a piece of junk, thats why I am asking for other peoples help. I havent set my mind on a 710, just merely asking about it. Thanks for the replies so far guys!!!

Scott

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Rifles are like women, If you get youself a cheap one to start with you probably wont keep her long. And it'll just cost you more in the long run. OK,OK, I appologize to all the women out there, I know you can probably say the same thing about men, but you get my point. KN

·
Registered
92 Posts
i looked at the Model 710 and the ADL and as far as i can remember neither one has a hinged floor plate. That just threw me right off. I like the idea of dropping UNFIRED rounds through the bottom and not have to retrieve them through the action. The rifles just felt cheap and nasty! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
To each thier own... i actually plan on converting my BDL to ADL when i finally put a mcmillian on it. Not much more effort to cycle to shells through the action. The reason i wouldnt buy a 710 are because of the permenantly attached barrel and its designed to be a cheap gun. I dont know all the details about it, but for just a little more you can buy an ADL model 700, why get the cheaper model. A lot of the custom gunmakers prefer the 700 action to all others, and they are proven. Why go cheap in quality when a good quality gun is only a little more? Granted, the average buyer for a 710 probably doesnt know what a good trigger is, or why anyone would care about the design differences between the 710 and 700.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I had the same issue to deal with regards to the McMillan stock. I actually like BDL floorplates, but if it's a choice between a cheap, plastic, factory synthetic stock in BDL, or a McMillan stock in ADL, I would get the McMillan in ADL any day!

Zachary

·
Registered
50 Posts
To me its not a big deal ADL, or BDL, but if i had my choice i would go with ADL. I dont see a safety issue, i like to keep things simple. A BDL floorplate is just another thing that could potentially cause problems. I read where a guy had to duct tape his shut on a hunt because it kept popping open. Probably will never happen to me, but still less parts are better in my opinion. My current model 700 is a BDL, and it doesnt bother me. But when i get a new stock, it will become an ADL becasue i have a choice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I own a model 710 in 7-08 cal. I have no complants on the shooting part.
But,it could use a longer barrel and a make-over.I also own a Howa 1500,
that did'nt cost much more then the 710.Get yourself a Howa or Salvage.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I've never owned a 710, though I have shot one. The one I shot did a 2" group at 100 yards. Acceptable hunting accuracy, but not very good overall. It's also synthetic only, which I have a problem with (everytime I price a rifle with a synthetic stock I'm manually figuring in the price for a wood replacement :lol:). That's a personal thing though.

The main thing that I don't like though, is the barrel attachment. It's press-fitted into the receiver, and the bolt's locking lugs engage into the barrel rather than the receiver. Don't plan on ever rebarreling one of these.

IMHO, you'd be much better off with a Savage or a Howa.

If you're really tight on cash and don't mind a synthetic stock, then the Mossberg ATR-100 is supposed to be pretty accurate and durable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
rem 710

I see that everybody that owns/likes em is from the south! My step-son has 1 and we are from Pa. in the North! He is able to use it, but his teenage kids cannot! the plastic sleeve shrinks in the cold weather and is very hard to operate! Now that was changed in the last year to a solid steel reciever and ther very well could be no more problems! waiting to hear on the future forums about that!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.