Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just stopped by a place that had a Ruger M77 in Walnut in 6.5x55.

Do not have any Ruger rifles yet, but like the caliber. From what I've read, the trigger needs some work. How about otherwise? Anyone have experience with these rifles?

Regards

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Sigma said:
Hi Guys,

Just stopped by a place that had a Ruger M77 in Walnut in 6.5x55.

Do not have any Ruger rifles yet, but like the caliber. From what I've read, the trigger needs some work. How about otherwise? Anyone have experience with these rifles?

Regards
Rugers are excellent, well made American rifles with a POS "lawyer" trigger that is easily replaced with a Timney Adjustable trigger. They are accurate and Ruger has one of the best customer services departments going. If you like the one you found, buy it and have no fears as it will serve you well for many years to come. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have a stainless .243 and my son has one in .280. Both are accurate. Mine needed trigger work and his is not bad out of the box.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Hmmmm....lemme think. I own 4 and 2 #1's. They do need trigger work...buy a timney be done with it.

Good shooting!

Doug

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the feedback. Noticed that the barrel contour was more slender than other rifles I own. I kind of like the Mauser-style action. Looks like controlled round feed too. The bolt seems a bit rough but nothing to worry about. Do the M77's group pretty consistent out of the box?

Regards

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Except for the trigger, my 77 in 30/06 has been very accurate out of the box. Look into Rifle basix triggers. Just as good as a Timney, but not as expensive and much easier to install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have two... A made in 1976 model 77 Varmint in .220 Swift & a fairly new "Target" model in .223. The .220 Swift has always been a tack driver with the right load, but I've had to struggle with the .223 to get a good group. Recently, I bought a firelapping kit & put it to use at the range today - following the instructions to the letter. Just by doing that & with no other changes, I went from 1" groups to 1/2" groups & even one 3/8" group. Apparently this gun needed it.

Robert in the hills of NC

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I just got a new Ruger 77 in 260 Remington, shot it out my truck window in the Oklahoma wind at 50 yards sighting it in with a cheap Tasco scope (have a Weaver K6 on the way for it)Group was a 1/2" with 2 holes touching ( 3 shot group). Trigger was pretty good for a Ruger. Very happy with it, will go well with my tang saftey 77 in 22-250.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have 4 that all out of the box shoot outstanding! For the money they are a great rifle, so I would recomend them without any hesitation! :D

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Sigma –

I’ve been a Ruger fan for over 20 years and they are easily my favorite rifle, whether the older M77 or the newer M77 MKII.

The trigger may or may not need work. The older M77’s have an adjustable trigger but both older and newer models are easy to rework. I use a Dremel tool and a Cratex wheel to polish up (not grind!) the mating trigger and sear parts and have ended up with some very nice triggers as a result – crisp, clean, and right around 2-3/4 to 3-1/2 pounds. I do this on all my firearms, so Ruger or not makes no difference in this area.

Another thing I do to all my wood-stocked rifles is float the barrel. This chore takes about 15 minutes and requires a screwdriver, sandpaper, Magic Marker (to loop the sandpaper around), a little elbow grease, and some polyurethane to reseal the stock. Again, the factthat it is a Ruger makes no difference.

So what can you expect for accuracy at 100 yards? My old 7mm Mag M77 has always shot 0.5” 3-shot groups with its preferred load of 160g Speer Grand Slams when I did my part and the wind cooperated. Even though it’s seen 24 years of use, it recently turned in a 0.266” group with a new load using North Fork bullets. My buddy’s M77 MKII will shoot 0.4” with Speer Grand Slams. The MKII VT in .22-250 I got a year ago last Christmas put 4 shots into 0.5” at 200 yards and the used M77 in .257 Roberts I got a year ago put 3 into 0.95” at 200 yards. In other words, I wouldn’t worry about accuracy potential.

On the upside you get what I think are the best looking rifles around. The Rugers are known for their strength and with their one-piece bolt you will never have to worry that the bolt handle will come off as it has been known to do with two-piece bolts. The scope bases are integral to the receiver, not held in place by itty-bitty screws. A mule and two logs convinced me of just how strong this system is and, although I had a couple broken ribs after the scope and receiver got between them and a log, the scope never lost zero. No doubt in my mind that a standard mounting system would have snapped the screws. The modern M77 MKII’s have controlled-round feed and, more importantly to me, ejection. Plus there is a 3-position safety on the MKII’s. All good IMHO. Cosmetics are simple and functional, the result of Bill Ruger’s “Not a penny for frills” attitude, but as I mentioned above, the result is very pleasing to the eye - at least to mine.

I’m not one to trade away a rifle that shoots and all my Rugers will be in the safe until I’m too old to do anything but give them to the relatives. So go ahead and get the rifle – I think you will be very pleased. You asked for opinions and that is mine.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I definately agree, the best looking rifle out there ( that I can afford anyway! ) Just got a Mark II in 260 and really like it. Goes very well with my older tang safety 22-250. Both will shoot less than MOA. Plus I have a new Mark III 22 in SS, a 17 HMR Single Six, a P90,P95 and a P345 and a old Mark II bull barrel. I guess I love Rugers!

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I've got a few Rugers in my safe........They are my favorites......

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
They are handsome, but remind me more of a Model 95 or 96 than a large ring Mauser, there is no thrid (safety) lug or inner collar in teh receiver ring and no pad on the outside of the ring to reinforce the extractor cut.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think Ruger is probably a good field rifle. Whenever I've read a magazine article comparing them with other offerings in the same caliber they are always bringing up the rear. I understand Ruger is now making their own barrels so that may help a good bit. I've always found them lacking in the accuracy department especially for range work. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am not a huge Ruger fan but don't think that the Ruger M77-MK II is a bad rifle at all . They seem to be a rugged reliable rifle that represents a good buy in today's market. They generally feed very well, and the scope mounting system is excellent. I personally would rather have a Ruger than most other factory rifles, and I've said that if you own an accurate Ruger, you own a good gun. Some Rugers don't shoot all that well out of the box and you'll have to do much of the same things you'll have to do to many factory rifles.

Its important to remember that a good hunting rifle possesses many traits. Accuracy must also be coupled with dependability and ruggedness. In my opinion, Rugers offer acceptable hunting accuracy, ruggedness, and dependablity at a reasonable price. Pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
opinion on Ruger 77

My son has a 30-06 Mk 77. He has been shooting it for 18 years. It is one of the most accurate rifles in our safe. I have a 25-06 in the M77 Mk11. It is one of my favorites and as accurate as any other one I own. They both needed trigger jobs which helped us shoot better. We own Remingtons,tikkas,CZs and brownings. There are better looking guns but if you have one that shoots well it is hard to beat a Ruger for the price or any price. My $350.00 used ruger shoots better than my $900.00 Sako. It is just not as pretty. But deer and targets don't really care about looks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rugers are excellent, well made American rifles with a POS "lawyer" trigger that is easily replaced with a Timney Adjustable trigger.
It's like you took the words out of my mouth. I have a Ruger M77 in 7mm mag and love everthing about it except the trigger. Built solid as a rock, love the mauser style action, and they are easily some of the nicest looking rifles out there for under 1000 dollars. The trigger? Straight out of the box it felt like you needed to put one foot against a tree to get enough leverage to actually pull it till it fired. By God no one is ever going to be able to claim that an unmodified Ruger rifle went off by accident. Which is, I guess, the point of it being that heavy. If Ruger would add a good adjustable trigger and free float the barrel on their M77's they would outsell every other rifle in America.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys,

Appreciate all of your replies. I've read quite a bit lately about the Rugers, but most seem to agree with the inconsistent accuracy of Ruger rifles out of the box.

One thread said "Wasn't it some guy named Gump that said, Life is like opening a Ruger M77 Rifle box, you never know whats inside - or something like that." Another said: "As a barrelmaker, I have seen many different barrels from many different manufacturers and I will say that Ruger holds the loosest and most inconsistent specs on their internal barrel tolerances that I have seen from any major arms manufacturer."

That's a pretty bold statement. Any rebuttals?

That's the thing about Sakos, Tikkas, and Weatherbys - I like the accuracy statements by the manufacturers. And they hold true for the rifles I have.

Regards

1 - 20 of 29 Posts