Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy an older 870 wingmaster ,2 3/4 shell only, with fixed improved cylinder. I would be using it for shooting clays for fun, dove and quail hunting. My question is do you guys feel that the fixed improved cylinder is sufficient for what I would be using it for or should I try for one with the screw in chokes? Also, is their really much of a difference in pattern with I.C. vs modified vs full? Thanks for any replies, J-P

·
Registered
155 Posts
With lead shot (unless in a steel mandated area) 7.5~8 shot should work fine for Quail in cover and dove out to 25~30 yards. Steel may just pattern a bit tighter than leads in the same choke.
You can always upgrade the barrel to a ne Remington Light Contour with screw in chokes for little money. I did this with my 870 and like it a lot.

I'm a ardent supporter of gun patterning.

·
Administrator
26,058 Posts
Buy it and never look back. There is no better all round gun for the uses you mention. IC is all you really need for most of it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would buy it too.The IC would be perfect for your game needs,wont bust up the birds.If you find you need tighter patterns at longer ranges you can always add a screw in choke barrel.I like the older 870s with the chromed bolts,much smoother than the newer remmies ive handled.

·
Registered
110 Posts
870 IC

When I hunted a lot of quail, 200-300 a year I used a modified barrel and 7/8 oz shot in the 20 ga. When I went to the IC barrel I would get a cripple or an occasional dropped leg. The modified would be my choice for hunting cause it worked for ME. The IC may be a better choice for you for all around uses and you can always add the tubes. FYI...

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you put all the quail and doves my Pa has taken with his IC barrels into a pile you could not load them into a semi trailer.

But he is patient and does choose his shots.

As GB said, get it and run.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Forgot to mention that I am now on my third 870. The first was a 16 that I began shooting while in grade school. That was replaced with a 12 when the 16 ga shells dried up.

A couple of years ago I decided I had to have a new 870 with the matte finish. There was nothing wrong with the one I was using.

I am now 52. The best we can remember I got the first 12 for Christmas when I was 18. Now that 16 ga shells are more available...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts