Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK---I am looking at the Ruger ranch in 223. I am not much concerned about anything but the stock and accuracy.
The Accuracy out to 200 seems to be pretty varied, from my reading.
The composite stock seems good---again opinions.
Also, am I going to have to build to get decent accuracy ?
Blessings

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mini.
I am back on my annual try to convince myownself that i need a .223.
This is a every two year itch I get---been going on about 10 years and I have almost done it once. The heat seems more intense this year.
:D
Blessings

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
The post 2005 production Mini's all have a thicker barrel; accuracy is far improved over the old pencil barrels. Mine doesn't string, etc. when it warms up.

I added two 1911 Wilson Buffers to mine, I imagine you have a few around. Real easy to put on the oprod.
I had a 'smith do a trigger job on it, using a wolffe hammer spring for steel imported ammo. Its a little over 4#, cost me $30, but when I looked at what he did I realized I probably could've done that myself.
You can add an accu-strut to it if you like, I haven't felt it was necessary for the new barrels.
You can bed the stock like any other action; I use a hogue, and it fits me great. Did not care for the OEM synthetic at all.
Something I want to do is swap the gas port bushings out, fella named gendoc makes them, which will help tune it to your liking. You get a set of three based on the ID of your current port; if you're really picky, you can get an adjustable gas block.

Were it me, I may look at the tactical with the threaded end, and stick a VooDoo brake on there; I put one on my AR and love it. Helped tighten up my groups, honestly. You'll also have a slightly stiffer barrel with the shorter length.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
minis are a great rifle for their intended purpose.
they're not a target or sniper rifle, although you
can spend some money with the folks in odessa
and they'll make it durn close to one. they are
for sure one of the more reliable .223 semi auto
rifles to be had for the common man. from my
experience the factory mags work the best of any.
good luck

·
24,003 Posts
ive own two old ones and two within the last 5 years. The old ones were 4moa and the new ones are 4moa ??? If you got one that shoots 2 inch you better hold on to it with your last breath. Bottom line is for the same money you can buy yourself an ar15 that's more reliable and will hands down outshoot it. If it breaks you can find parts anywhere or just gleam them off of another gun. I got rid of all of mine. I see now reason to throw money at another one.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have one of the new models. It went back to Ruger right after I got it. It would not hold rounds on a pie plate at 100 yards. They replaced the barrel and tuned it up. It took some shooting to break it it, but it now shoots 1" to 1.5" groups at 100 yards all day. I think it will shoot even better as it breaks in more. I have a really good AR-15, but prefer the Mini-14 for general use. I really love this little rifle. I see no reason to do any modifications to mine. Just fine the way it is.

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I am gathering is that --for all practical purposes--there is money to be spent on either platform to get it to a level that makes it a worthwhile work gun.
Is this assessment ?
Blessings

·
24,003 Posts
not in my opinion Bill. Ive got cheap ars that were under 800 bucks that are dead reliable and shoot moa or close to it. Two I can say for sure are my dpms sporitcal and a entry level bushmaster. The bushmasters best loads do moa and worse are about 1.5 inch (im talking 5 shots at a 100 yds) the dpms shoots about everything moa or less. Its one of my most accurate rifles period and only cost 650 bucks. It doesn't have any fancy rails (other then the top rail) Didn't come with open sights (who cares) and doesn't have a chrome lined barrel (either does the mini) Cool thing is its light. The lightest ar I own and much lighter then a mini. To me money much better spent then on a mini. Ive seen them go as low as 600 bucks. My favorite are the stags for a reasonably priced ar. There life time unconditional waranteed. Drop one off a cliff and they will replace it or fix it. Shoot out a barrel and they will replace it. But then in all the rounds ive sent down range with ars ive yet to break a part. Ive replaced springs but it was never absolutely nessisary even to change them. Ive owned that sportical for I believe 7 years and I know theres got to be at least 10k round count through it by now and that's conservative. Ive hammered on it dumping full 30 round clips as fast as I can pull the trigger and even had a bump fire stock on it for a while and it still shoots sub moa. Buddy and I bought those at the same time. Actually I bought both and he talked me out of one. His is just as accurate and reliable as mine.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Its apples to oranges. Piston vs DI, ergonomics (true prone vs modified). Minis are heavier than a cheap AR, but heartier as a result. Aesthetically, all the benefits of a mid grade piston AR but in wood and steel for $650.
I have both, like them for different reasons. Minis fly off shelves for some reason, and ARs are a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
647 Posts
With all the bad media on black sporter rifles a mini is a good alterative. Doesnt have the military look even though it is based on the M14. If a person is asking for help on a mini why try to bring in other firarms to confuse the issue. BTW I have both.

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate what you say South.
Actually I thimk I am the culprit on this one. It may even be due to my search for this elusive grail.
The Ar is lighter and the Mini is less BLACK. Actually it is not really a look I am after.
It seems to me that the prices for 223 ammo are stable and the scare has passed.
What I want is a target gun. Now, saying that, I am not after competition accuracy.
I have a good .22 with a very large Leupold scope on it---it is fun.
I want to get out to 200 yard and have some fairly good accuracy (whatever that is) using a GOOD scope.
The 223 hsa this desired effect/affect.
I know that I will have to have some work done on either platform----what is really the question and which would be better money spent.
I appreciate the feedback---I am really illiterate on these things.
\It seems that you can get into a base rifle of either platform with ABOUT the same money.
Blessings

·
24,003 Posts
there a mini 14, not a mini 77 :eek: they look like military guns did for as long as ars looked military. Lots used by police depts, prison systems, and even military in some countrys. I don't think your fooling as many as you think when you say they don't look military. Aks are wood and steel too and there the most recognized assult rifle in the world. With that clip hanging down and curved If anything your mini might be mistaken by some non gun person for one of them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
William, you are just going to have to do some soul searching and decide for yourself. The AR and the Mini-14 are, for some reason, very polarizing. Personally, I don't get emotional about guns. They are tools. I have one of each and like them both, but for different reasons. My go-to is the Mini-14 because it feels more conventional and is easier for me to handle. It is not quite as accurate as the AR, but plenty accurate enough. Personally, if push comes to shove and I have to depend upon a gun for my life, the SKS will probably be the one to save the day.

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did I say mini 77 Lloyd ? I must have doubled up on my meds.
From my reading the Ruger mini will more than likely require a barrel change ----I think. I probably could get by with a stock AR.
Both are appealing.

I don't want it to sound like I am calling either a military look---or really much care. The AR is OK feeling when I shoot one and I have never shot the Ruger.

See, i have been bouncing around this .22 mag thing for awhile but the .223 seems more practical for my purposes. I could go with an A bolt but don't want a bolt.
Blessings

·
24,003 Posts
the mini 77 comment was aimed at the guys saying the mini didn't look military. It does not look like a sporting rifle it looks like a military rifle. About a reduced sized m14 or a large sized m1 carbine. Sure doesn't look like a 77. Especially with a high capacity mag hanging out the bottom of it. No less a military looking rifle then an ar15. Bottom line is who cares if it looks military anyway. I could care less what someone else thinks. Nobody's business what kind of a rilfe I buy as long as its legal. If anything buying an ar adds you to the list of guys who are standing up to the antis and telling them its your constitutional right to buy ANY semi auto rifle you want. Just don't think your fooling anyone by buying a mini 14. Actually gave my last mini to my dad. He's a Korean war vet and always wanted one because it reminded him of him of his service rifle. Bottom line is he cant shoot anyway ;) so the lack of accuracy doesn't bother him. I guess part of my dislike of minis stems from the couple springfield m1a guns ive had. They were dead nuts accurate and no they weren't the match versions just the standard battle rifle. . Why hasn't ruger stepped up and made an accurate mini. Buddy had one of those target minis with the adjustable muzzle break on it and it still shot no better then 2 1/2 inch at a 100 yards with his best handload and tuning, hardly a target rifle. If the government can mass produce a m14 that shoots well why cant ruger make the mini work???? If they someday do maybe ill take another look at buying one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As a guy who is not really crazy about ARs, let me be perfectly clear here,......get an AR. I have two, one is a scoped Stag Model 3 (old version M-4 wannabe), and the other is a Smith & Wesson M & P Sport with open sights. Both shoot under an inch at 100 yds. (and yes, with open sights on the Smith) with good ammo. I had a Mini-14 years ago, and accuracy wise, it wasn't even close to either of my two ARs. You can bolt-on stuff to your AR until your heart is content, or just leave it plain with no add-ons. There is so much one can do with them it just boggles the mind. If the rifle you want is for targets only, a good 20" barreled rifle would probably be better than the 16" barreled carbine, but either will do what you want. It took a long time to work the bugs out of the AR-15 platform, but now-a-days, they're all pretty good guns. It's gonna' be difficult for a Mini-14 to out shoot a good AR. The only thing I don't really like is that they can get really dirty in the bolt carrier area, but it only takes some elbow grease to take care of that. I've gone on too long now, and I'm sure that your decision will make you happy. Good luck........

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.