Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard many opinions on this matter.

Some say the .22 rimfire's optimum is 16".
Longer, bullet actually loses some stability from friction and loss of gas pressure as the action cycles on an automatic.

Any Gunsmith type opinions?
:shock:

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I use several different 22 rinfire rifles. Shorter barrels are quite a bit noisier but other than that accuracy is more dependant on ammo than barrel length. My CZ has a very long tube and is exquisitaly accurate and very quiet. This is important when hunting the local tree squirrels.. The Winchester 52C has about a 22 inch barrel and while a bit noisier it shoots just as well and has a better trigger... I like a bit more weight out front but a heavy 10/22 delivers that in 20 inches... I quess I have no real preference as to length..in rifles..

·
Registered
237 Posts
stuporman said:
I have heard many opinions on this matter.

Some say the .22 rimfire's optimum is 16".
Longer, bullet actually loses some stability from friction and loss of gas pressure as the action cycles on an automatic.

Any Gunsmith type opinions?....Most modern bullets in the 22rimfire reach their max speed in 16inches of barrel...some of the hyper fast shells still gain a little speed to the 18in. mark.....the bullets and lube on them are designed for normal length barrels and they are often longer than the 18in length and thus the bullets will do fine in the longer barrels on modern guns.....the actions on auto rimfires are usually recoil operated and they strart to move as soon as the bullet leaves the case and they will work with very short barrels if need be such as on legal suppressed guns with short barrels.....the longer barrels on target type guns were from iron sight days and long barrels to get the long sight radius and thus more accurate AIMING not accurate because of the long barrel...today with a scope the looks and balance and noise determine the length past the 16in US legal rifle barrel length...and 18 to 22 inchs are the normal lengths in modern guns outside of the special survival takedowns and long position target type guns......good luck and good shooting!!
:shock:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts